[Game] Dives Ruris Revival

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

[Game] Dives Ruris Revival

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

What's this about?
I took an old game: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13525 and kept fixing it, till it stopped crashing on the current engine version.
I want to continue with further fixes, and changes which I consider 'upgrades', without cluttering the old thread.

Dives Ruris is a survival game based on minetest game, with several community mods and a good portion of original content written by it's author Glünggi. I first found it by going through the screenshot thread where it made a very good impression on me with its biomes.

From the original thread:
Spoiler

What have I managed so far?
Most of my effort so far was just to get the game running without crashing every few steps and clearing out various warnings in the console.
One big change I did was replacing the original inventory, creative and recipe mods with much more modern variants (they now have search bars).
For now I will go back to fixing the rest of the warnings so they don't flood the console, but in the longer term I intend to do, well.. whatever changes I see fit.
If those don't sit well with you, and you just want to check out a piece of minetest history you can check out this version, which only contains the changes necessary to get the game running again: https://github.com/Skamiz/dives_ruris/a ... _fixes.zip

License: various, see individual mods
Github: https://github.com/Skamiz/dives_ruris/tree/master
Download: https://github.com/Skamiz/dives_ruris/a ... master.zip

Skamiz Kazzarch

Re: [Game] Dives Ruris Revival

update: a whole bunch of fixes, which means that looking at the console actually provides somewhat useful data
relevant for game-play is that water isn't opaque anymore and a few glass textures now display correctly
drr_001.png
drr_001.png (402.81 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
decided to disable goblins ability to interact with the world for now, otherwise this kind of stuff happens:
drr_002.png
drr_002.png (534.79 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

Skamiz Kazzarch

You know how at one point the way the player model works was changed and all mod which affected it had to be updated so the player wasn't half sunk into the ground?

Well I had to fix it here too. I already did that once when updating the Farlands game, so I thought it would be easy enough. Open blender file, move model upwards a bit and export. Except it kept resulting into this:
Spoiler
drr_003.png
drr_003.png (539.33 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
After trying a few things to fix it, I just ended up using the Farlands model, since that one works. But if anyone wants to figure out what the issue is, the original .blend file is still included.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

You could adjust the y= value in the model's lua definition, I've done that before. Eye_height will need to be adjusted too.
Heck you could detect if it's running an old version of minetest and use an override to change it in one case but not the other.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Skamiz Kazzarch

You mean changing it's collision box?
Yeah, that would probably work. Would also change the result of get_pos() though? (not that that is a valid argument in this case)

I must admit that I am not big on backward compatibility.

Skamiz Kazzarch

Next on the list: the vines mod
When I first got the game running, vines just instantly disappeared when touched.

Looking in the code, it seemed that the mod was halfway in some sort of transition when I first opened it. Where it moved away from using the attached_node group with wallmounted to ensure that vines can't hang on air, without having a replacement yet.

I also found in the code that each vine variant had a rotten version, into which it would turn if there weren't any tree nodes nearby. Gameplay wise it would only be noticeable by vines stopping to grow when they went down a cliff away from their tree, or when placed by the player outside a forest. These rotten variations aren't climbable, which was the only way to distinguish them from their healthy variants, since they used the same texture. (Even through rotten textures were in the mod files.)

I decided to get rid of these rotten variants and instead make it so vines only grow 6 - 12 nodes long.
drr_004.png
drr_004.png (65.29 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
Though I made it so you can right-click with shears on a vine to stop it from growing further.

Another change was to use a previously uncraftable item to make the rope box recipe much costlier.
drr_006.png
drr_006.png (24.54 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
Considering that the rope from the ropebox extends forever I think that's fair.

Lastly there was some commented out code which I finished/restored to add vine blocks, which act like ladders.
drr_005.png
drr_005.png (145.91 KiB) Viewed 3382 times

Skamiz Kazzarch

Changed bag recipes
before and after:
drr_007.png
drr_007.png (29.32 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
It bothered me how .. artificial? .. they felt. Like, it's very clear that the only consideration while making them was to drive up the cost, no mater how little sense they make. Which wouldn't bother me half as much if it was a direct, one time cost. But this stacking of several smaller inventories to get a marginally larger one just doesn't sit well with me, there are other ways to drive up the cost that are much more immersive.

Admittedly part of the problem is that the mod only uses materials from MTG, which doesn't offer much to make the recipes interesting. But in all the games/servers that I saw, that use this mod, the recipes were never changed from the default ones even though they have way more options. So here is my take on it.

In the long term I would like to completely get rid of this mod and switch to something like the backpack mod: viewtopic.php?t=14579
or some other alternative which doesn't need so much menu navigation to use.

Skamiz Kazzarch

An interesting result I got while messing around with air properties.
screenshot_20220206_070054.png
screenshot_20220206_070054.png (820.5 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
For some reason, giving air the light source property makes it go bonkers.
screenshot_20220206_071213.png
screenshot_20220206_071213.png (499.22 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
As far as I can tell, the engine assumes in a few places that air will never ever be a source of light and when that assumption is subverted it results in weird, inconsistent behavior.
I was really hoping this would work, so the player can see these large caves without having to place a few hundred light sources first.
screenshot_20220206_075208.png
screenshot_20220206_075208.png (454.16 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

As much as the default behavior of absolute darkness is realistic, staring into the void adds little game-play value to me.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

You could add

Code: Select all

minetest.nodedef_default.light_source = 3
in your default/init.lua before registering any nodes. It looks ugly, but it works.

Skamiz Kazzarch

That makes everything glow and completely obliterates any notion of ambient or directional lighting, right?
Not worth it imo.

Maybe I will sit down one of these days and try to figure out the engine changes necessary to make darkness not be completely black, but that would be more something for private use.

Skamiz Kazzarch

Did a few code maintenance things since the last update, but now I present: varying stone texture
screenshot_20220206_173403.png
screenshot_20220206_173403.png (178.36 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
It's still all only one node, but each side uses a different texture and the nodes are rotated.

Skamiz Kazzarch

Finally got rid of the 3dforniture mod. I don't really like any of it's nodes. The textures are little better then random noise, the resolution doesn't match the surrounding world and the nodeboxes aren't pixel aligned. And in general they just stand out in a bad way.
screenshot_20220207_114724.png
screenshot_20220207_114724.png (468.41 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
In other news:
Increased the efficiency of the vines mods ABMs. According to the profiler they were more expensive then every other ABM taken together. I managed to cut it in half, without making any changes to the underlying mechanics. Still pretty much the worst, but not as bad as it was before.
Sheep now can be sheared with the shears from the vines mod, so there is no reason to carry two shears around.
Milk bucket texture adjusted to look like other buckets.

Skamiz Kazzarch

The game had both xpanes and xconnected. They were both old and didn't use connected nodeboxes. Many of the walls had no recipes.
I replaced both of them with a new mod xjoined.
screenshot_20220208_123259.png
screenshot_20220208_123259.png (128.39 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
The walls don't automatically adjust like they did in xconnected, but now you can punch them with the same wall in hand to toggle the middle post.
The API also can be used to register fences with the same feature, but for now I left the originals in place since I haven't even seen their code yet.
Also in the feature are some adjustments to what can and can't be turned into a wall, since the current selection is a bit arbitrary.

Skamiz Kazzarch

A while ago, while playing around in a test world, I noticed that trying to place carpet on acacia planks causes a crash. Today I finally got around to fixing it.

The carpet mod adds carpets of several colors, which were implemented as a raillike node. Additionally it had a mechanic, that for selected nodes the carpet would be merged into the bellow node (implemented by registering a new node), so you could place stuff on top of the carpet.
screenshot_20220208_201809.png
screenshot_20220208_201809.png (511.66 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
The crash happened because acacia planks were commented out from this merging mechanic. ... but only in one of the three places that needed to be changed to add/remove a node in this list.
You see, there were almost 600 lines of code which were just two big if-else blocks.

I am guessing Glünggi was still quite unfamiliar with lua and programing in general when he wrote this, since one block could easily be replaced with a loop and the other can be completely avoided, since the value which was searched for this way was already available in the current context, it just wasn't used for anything.

Every time a node was to be added to the list, you would have to add a table with three string, so the appropriate nodes are registered and an if statement each for placing and digging, and the correct node name variations were hard-coded in each place separately.

So while I could fix the crash by commenting out a few lines I ended up overhauling almost all the code in that file.
I got rid of the 600 lines of if-else code and decimated a 120 row 4 columns table to only one column. Now there is exactly one place where nodes are registered for this merging in of carpet, and it's only one variable.

A few bits of code were pointlessly being redefined in a loop, so these were moved out.

And while I was at it I also changed the carpets from raillike to nodeboxes, which are shaped quite similar to the merged in carpets and made them walkable.
screenshot_20220208_200116.png
screenshot_20220208_200116.png (454.39 KiB) Viewed 3051 times

PEAK
In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05
Finally got rid of the 3dforniture mod.
Fine, but:

… ERROR[Emerge-0]: NodeResolver: failed to resolve node name '3dforniture:bars'.
… ERROR[Emerge-0]: NodeResolver: failed to resolve node name '3dforniture:chains'.
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Needs some aliases there!
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Skamiz Kazzarch

lol, thanks
I am already aware, but this is the very first indication I have that someone besides me even so much as started the game.
I will look into updating the schematic sometime within the next day hopefully.

PEAK

by PEAK » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 18:30
this is the very first indication I have that someone besides me even so much as started the game.
I think this game deserves more attention. It has some unique features and beautiful textures.

Suggestions:
  • I wish I could use Shift-Click on the furnace.
  • Some use for the gems.
  • More randomized textures.
  • Support for the other mapgens.
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

Skamiz Kazzarch

I have updated the dungeon schematic with new nodes. The old bars were replaced with new bars and the chains were replaced with a new chain node that acts like a ladder. (Though it's texture is very meh.)
PEAK wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 03:15
~snip~
Thank you for your praise!

As for you suggestions:
Furnace is already on the list. I will probably just copy over the code from the current version.
Use for gems combines neatly with something else I have on the list.
Next candidates for texture randomization are desert stone (since it's just a recolor of stone) and dirt.
The mapgen thing is just taken over from the original. The only change I made to that is that instead of changing it to v7 in the code, I just hid all other options from the menu, so players don't wonder, why the mapgen is different from what they selected.
I am not aware what the reasoning was for the original decision was, and I don't know of any technical issues preventing unlocking the other mapgens, but I also only briefly skimmed of the relevant code. Adding it to the list.

Skamiz Kazzarch

Updated furnaces to use code from current MTG. You will have to dig and replace them so they start working.
(Actually did that a few days ago, but didn't post here since I wanted to have something visual to show.)

So here is randomized desert stone:
screenshot_20220217_084111.png
screenshot_20220217_084111.png (100.64 KiB) Viewed 2843 times

Skamiz Kazzarch

Warning, following post is a bit rant-y.

I am not actually all that good at playing minetest. I spend way more time modding, then actually doing stuff in game. Part of the problem is that goalless game-play doesn't really hold my attention and most minetest games are pretty shallow, mechanic wise. Another part is that I don't have much motivation to do creative building, because I think that many of the building blocks just don't look good.
The quality and style of textures tends to be all over the place as a result of how MTG was build up piece by piece over time.

Today I fixed a few of the things which annoy me.

Look at these textures:
screenshot_20220217_111329.png
screenshot_20220217_111329.png (27.64 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
What do they all have in common? Well, for one, they are all based on the same texture. Which really wouldn't bother me all that much if the original author didn't decide that there needs to be an implied light source to one corner and now all derivative textures have this weird bulge.
Thanks, but no thanks, I like my textures to be quite flat.
For another, default log doesn't match the default planks at all.

I redid these log top textures in the same style as the others in the game.
screenshot_20220217_120908.png
screenshot_20220217_120908.png (37.44 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

Skamiz Kazzarch

Here is another case:
screenshot_20220217_122830.png
screenshot_20220217_122830.png (116.48 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
All of them are clearly based on the same image, which with how often this texture is used brings up the problem of it being just boring. The middle of the log has a lot more going on then the top and bottom, which results in very obvious tiling. And while I am not entirely opposed to the tree trunk having shading which implies it's round, the way it's done here, whit a solid line on the left and right, makes the edges stand out a lot, especially when the trunks stand right next to each other.

So again, here is my version:
screenshot_20220217_152816.png
screenshot_20220217_152816.png (101.05 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
Of note: Acacia is not obtainable in-game, as intended by original author. Rubber tree is only obtainable as a drop from tree monsters, as far as I am aware.

PEAK

by PEAK » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 07:50
Updated furnaces to use code from current MTG. You will have to dig and replace them so they start working.
Oh, thanks. Meanwhile I discovered the use of the gems: armor. Thats challenging – usually I get my diamond armor relatively fast, but collecting enough gems for the Nyan blocks takes a while.

Some issues I found:
  • It seems that the arrows are not working. I tried another throwing mod, and it works.
  • I can craft rails but no carts. Either include a carts mod or let the player add such a mod to his game.
  • Can’t craft Copper Blocks – there’s a naming inconsistence:
    default:copper_block vs default:copperblock
default/nodes.lua:

minetest.register_node("default:copper_block", {
	description = "Copper Block",
	tiles = {"default_copper_block.png"},
	is_ground_content = true,
	groups = {cracky=1,level=2},
	sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
})
default/crafting.lua:

minetest.register_craft({
	output = 'default:copperblock',
	recipe = {
		{'default:copper_ingot', 'default:copper_ingot', 'default:copper_ingot'},
	}
})

minetest.register_craft({
	output = 'default:copper_ingot 9',
	recipe = {
		{'default:copperblock'},
	}
})
[edit:] + The new torches of MTG are nicer.

Skamiz Kazzarch

The copper block thing is weird. Glünggi made an effort to standardize node names (fore example: 'default:jungletree' -> 'default:tree_jungle'), but 'copper_block' is irregular to all other resource blocks and was present only in that one place.

While checking if it occurs in that form somewhere else I noticed that the stairworks mod has the same issue as the carpet mod had. Namely 141 'if' statement and no correlation between the registration of stairs nodes and making them craftable, making it an unmaintainable mess.
I spent a few hours pecking away at that and got rid of the if statements. Also there is now only one place to look for when adding/removing a node for stairs and shift-clicking works in the formspec. It's still a mess, but at this point I lost motivation to further deal with it.

Porting over 3d torches and carts turned out refreshingly simple after that, with only minor changes necessary to get them working.
screenshot_20220218_172433.png
screenshot_20220218_172433.png (226.67 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
Bronze, diamond and nyan arrows weren't working since they weren't in a list which was used too look for what is ammunition, but after adding them everything seems to work fine.
In general, the arrows have to be in the inventory slot directly to the right of the bow to be shot, maybe that was part of the problem?

Skamiz Kazzarch

Spare gems now can be crafted into light sources:
screenshot_20220219_092510.png
screenshot_20220219_092510.png (377.65 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
Also changed travelnet recipe to use a rainbow block instead of a diamond block.