[Game] Vanilla [0.1]

BigBear
GitHub: gramsey
IRC: BigBear
In-game: BigBear

[Game] Vanilla [0.1]

by BigBear » Post

A 'no fuss' newbie friendly game, similar in gameplay to 'Minetest Game' if you added the most fun and essential mods. Very little in the game will be surprising or new to experienced players of modded MTG based games. (It does not however use MTG or 'default' under the bonnet).

https://gitlab.com/m4895/vanilla

The objectives of the project is to
  • Provide a 'vanilla' feel game for folk that just want to play *normal* minetest.
  • Provide a complete and coherent 'out-of-the-box' minetest game experience without needing additional mods.
  • Provide an ideal game for new players.
  • Provide a relatively simple, clean game without too much bloat (such as large numbers of decorative nodes).
  • Provide a template game that can be more easily and more fundamentally customized than MTG based games (a reference implementation of 'zero').
It looks and feels like an enhanced version of "MineTest Game", but does not use MTG at all. Under the bonnet it uses the 'zero' modpack re-write of MTG. It also includes modified versions of 3rd party but important mods (3darmour, mobs, mesecons etc.). (Zero is not MTG, but shamelessly steals all the ideas and content from it so gameplay is very familiar.)

Currently i am in a later testing phase of "eating my own dog food" - i.e. playing many hours as a normal player. It seems solid enough for others to start using.

(p.s. I have the game running on a public server - The Bear Lands.)

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

Re: [Game] Vanilla [0.1]

by jwmhjwmh » Post

I like that this game doesn't use "default".

I had some problems cloning the repository. Firstly, I don't have permission to clone the "git@..." URLs, so I had to change the URLs of some submodules. Secondly, some of the commits that the submodules point to do not exist for me.

BigBear
GitHub: gramsey
IRC: BigBear
In-game: BigBear

by BigBear » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 13:53

I had some problems cloning the repository. Firstly, I don't have permission to clone the "git@..." URLs, so I had to change the URLs of some submodules. Secondly, some of the commits that the submodules point to do not exist for me.
Sorry about that - this should be fixed now.

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

by jwmhjwmh » Post

BigBear wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 14:30
jwmhjwmh wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 13:53

Sorry about that - this should be fixed now.
Thanks. The game now works.

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I cloned the game on git but all the folders are empty
cdb_894a100ddd76

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 15:30
I cloned the game on git but all the folders are empty
You have to fetch the submodules. When you clone a project that uses git submodules, clone with

Code: Select all

code clone <url> --recurse-submodules
If you have already cloned and don't want to delete it and start again; or when you need to update submodules, run:

Code: Select all

git pull
git submodule sync
git submodule init
git submodule update
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

It worked, thanks!
cdb_894a100ddd76