GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Lazarr! [1.3.2]

by Wuzzy » Post

Lazarr 1.3.0
Lazarr 1.3.0
screenshot.png (93.55 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
This is a simple puzzle game with lasers. It's fully playable, but still feels like a "demo version", the levels need improvement.

Gameplay
You're a pirate in the search of treasure. Find all shiny gold blocks in treasure chests to advance to the next level. To break the lock, you must first solve a laser puzzle by sending lasers to all detectors. Mirrors and other things will help you. There are 14 levels.

Background
Originally, this game was hastily made for the Minetest Game Jam 2021 in the final day of the competition that lasted 3 weeks. Ultimate procastination fail! :D Unsurprisingly, the rank wasn't great: 13 out of 25. I am surprised I managed to get to an actually playable game in just 1 day.
I wrote a post-mortem of the competition here.

The game has seen improvements since then (most importantly, I replaced the original levels), but not much. I'm still not very happy with it. This is a game made for a game competition and is not one of my main projects. The biggest problem right now is the lack of good levels.

If you have any ideas (especially for levels or blocks), please let me know!

Download
Version: 1.3.2
Needs Minetest 5.5.0
Download: ContentDB

Note about the version
As long the version is below 2.0.0 (which is the case right now), I am unhappy with this game and don't consider it to be "truly" finished. Should I ever release version 2.0.0, please give this game another chance. But I have no idea if my interest in this will be high enough again.

Features
  • 14 levels
  • Laser emitters, detectors, mirrors, transmissive mirrors, crystals
  • Take and place blocks to redirect lasers
  • Rotate blocks with the rotation hook
  • German translation
  • Crude level editor (see README.md)
Last edited by Wuzzy on Sun Nov 06, 2022 22:52, edited 5 times in total.

Wuzzy

Changes compared to the game jam version

by Wuzzy » Post

Hello! I just released the first version of Lazarr!, after I first posted this game for the Minetest Game Jam 2021: Version 1.3.0. If you followed the Game Jam, you notice the game was very harshly criticized back then, and I basically agreed with everything because I basically just hastily put together this game on the final day … :D

In this post I am going to share what I have done in the past months to improve the game a bit. Because I was not happy the way the game turned out for the game jam (obviously), I wanted to improve on it, at least a little bit. Note this is not really one of my main projects so I'm not sure how much attention I will pay to it in future.

I have done a couple of things, here's a changelog of version 1.3.0 compared to version 1.2 (the game jam version):
  • The 10 original levels have been replaced completely (including the unsolvable level 9) (I still don't really like the new levels that much tho ...)
  • Levels have names now
  • Objective changed: The level ends now when you found all golden treasures (previously: level ended immediately if you activated all detectors)
  • Level selection screen
  • You start in the captain's room with a level selection book
  • Level start block added (player starts here)
  • All special laser blocks like mirror can now be either "fixed" (they can not be taken) or "takable" (they can be taken)
  • Level sizes other than 10×6×10 are now supported
  • Levels now support different level borders (other than wood)
  • VERY crude level editor (see README.md)
  • Changed sky color slightly
  • Removed pulverize command
  • Add a setting to make laser beams opaque
  • Add a setting and command to toggle ambience sounds
  • Add the missing menu images
  • New sound effects
  • Laser updates faster when the player did something
  • Simple effects/animations when all treasures were found
  • New GUI graphics
  • Mirrors now have proper meshes
  • New decorative blocks like ocean stone, palm, leaves, grass, dirt, etc.; other old blocks removed
  • Plants and cobwebs disappear when touched by laser
  • Barricade now burns down when touched by laser
  • New block: Crystal (redirects laser everywhere)
  • Experimental block: Skull (walkable if in contact with laser, passable if not) (not used in any level right now)
  • German translation
  • A lot of other small things (I am too lazy too list ...)
This is a lot of things, but I'm still not quite happy with the game. My main problem right now is the lack of high-quality levels. There are still only 14 levels.

I don't know if I want to touch this game in future again, it probably depends on level ideas. Sadly, I have a hard time with coming up with good levels right now. :-( Maybe I backed myself into a dead-end?
Maybe there is only so much you can do with basic mirrors; probably more game elements might help, but I don't think I actually exhausted the good ideas with basic mirrors so far. On the other hand, I don't really want to spend even more time coding this game and want to continue with other projects again, as this was just for a game competition anyway.

So, please don't set your hopes too high for this new version, but I still appreciate thoughts and comments. If you have ideas (e.g. for blocks or levels), I also like to hear it. Although I don't promise anything, I'm still interested to read what you think. :P

EDIT: Version 1.3.1 released, with a few typo fixes and the border of the Palm level changed

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Lazarr! [1.3.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

The official Git repository for Lazarr! was moved to <https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Lazarr>. Please don't use repo.or.cz anymore.