[Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.4]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.4]

by Wuzzy » Post

Inside The Box SE

This is a WIP puzzle game forked from the Inside the Box source code release. SE = Singleplayer Edition. This is only a working title, I might change the name later.
Currently, there are NO levels. There's only a level editor for now. However, that one is fully functional.

The goal is to be a completely standalone version of ITB, work out of the box and most importantly, offline. Apart from that, some small bugfixes and features might be added. Especially full translation support. Finally, ITBSE wants to be fully free software, NO EXCEPTIONS!
I also want boxes from Inside The Box be compatible, when given `.box` files for the importer tool.

Dependencies
You need Minetest 5.4.0 or later.

Download
Version 0.0.4:
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Inside_The_B ... /0.0.4.zip

Here's the source code:
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Inside_The_Box_SE/

Music
The game comes with no music by default, but you can download music here. The reason I did not include music yet because it just increases the loading time so much.

Features
  • Works in singleplayer
  • Create your own boxes with a box editor
  • ... and play them
  • All the blocks and items you know and love from Inside The Box
  • German translation
Missing features
  • Levels!
  • Help
  • Tutorial
  • Music

Getting started
You spawn on a starter island. Grant yourselves all privileges. Walk to the green teleporter with the star. In this menu, you can start creating levels.

You will understand this better if you played on Inside the Box before, the same rules apply. Without that pre-knowledge, you probably won't "get it".

You can export boxes with the "/export" command and they will get written to ".box" files

Differences from Inside The Box
  • Runs in singleplayer with no additional configuration hassle
  • NO LEVELS!
  • No music by default (but you can use this)
  • No box ranks, scoring, categories
  • The "main lobby" is just a small simple island
  • Add missing entry/exit rooms missing from ITB source release
  • Has a German translation!
  • Removed "/pulverize" chat command
  • Fix various crashes
  • Disable telex by default
  • Several small UI changes to accommodate singleplayer mode
  • Prevent opening chests in editor, shows contents in chat instead
  • Fix various PNG errors
  • Make the left/right/top/bottom sides of symbol signs transparent
  • Add mod.conf for mods
  • Disallow placing nexus if torch is blocking
  • Various bugfixes relating to box entry teleporter
  • Make game function without music
Technicalities
Spoiler
This section is for the nerds. I describe here major technical stuff.

First of all, getting the original ITB to work at all was a challenge in itself. The first step was to just get to run the thing. Because the source code came in a stage that was clearly optimized for server use, NOT for standalone singleplayer use. The biggest hurdle is the ITB release was in an unusual state for normal players, installation is quite complicated and had many askward steps. ITBSE, on the other hand, needs to work out of the box. This is also a hard ContentDB rule (for good reason).

The biggest problem was that awkward software dependency on sqlite3 for the box database backend. I ripped that one completely out and re-implemented every function of the database backend (the "db" mod) by using mod storage instead.
In my work, I have ignored the scoring and ranking feature from ITB completely. The database supports those, but they're ignored. Anyway. The re-implementation of the boxes database was clearly the most important step to make ITBSE standalone.

Another technical change was removing the hard music dependency. I basically made music optional. The user had to awkwardly add a "localmusic" mod by hand to make ITB even start. I eventually want to ship music by default.

Then, I needed to manually add back the entry/exit rooms when you start/finish a box, because not even those were included in the source release. Also, a minimal spawn island was added so you don't fall into death because … you guessed it. There was no spawn island in the source release. Only an empty world with a single stone on which you spawn. The current spawn island is only a dummy, eventually it needs to become something beautiful.

A very big addition was translation support. A lot of work since I touched so many files, but it seems to work pretty well for now and even the signs in the box entry/exit are translated. What is not translatable yet are any in-box texts (like terminal text files or signs). Remember, I aim for FULL translatability, even for boxes themselves.
Licensing
Source code: LGPLv2.1+
Media: CC BY-SA 4.0

This is a derivate work of Inside the Box by sofar and nore.
Textures are from Isabella-II texture pack by boremouse.
For detailed credits, read "license.md" in the game files.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Mon Apr 24, 2023 13:28, edited 10 times in total.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.2]

by sorcerykid » Post

Wow this is certainly impressive, and clearly a huge undertaking.

Kudos on developing a fully-working, singleplayer edition of Inside the Box!

rob123
GitHub: qwerty123a2
In-game: joe and joergeg

Re: [Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.2]

by rob123 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 02:06
Inside The Box SE

This is a WIP puzzle game forked from the Inside the Box source code release. SE = Singleplayer Edition. This is only a working title, I might change the name later.
Currently, there are NO levels. There's only a level editor for now. However, that one is fully functional.

The goal is to be a completely standalone version of ITB, work out of the box and most importantly, offline. Apart from that, some small bugfixes and features might be added. Especially full translation support. Finally, ITBSE wants to be fully free software, NO EXCEPTIONS!
I also want boxes from Inside The Box be compatible, when given `.box` files for the importer tool.

Dependencies
You need Minetest 5.4.0 or later.

Download
Version 0.0.2:
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Inside_The_B ... /0.0.2.zip

Here's the source code:
https://codeberg.org/Wuzzy/Inside_The_Box_SE/

Features
  • Works in singleplayer
  • Create your own boxes with a box editor
  • ... and play them
  • All the blocks and items you know and love from Inside The Box
  • German translation
Missing features
  • Levels!
  • Help
  • Tutorial
  • Music

Getting started
You spawn on a starter island. Grant yourselves all privileges. Walk to the green teleporter with the star. In this menu, you can start creating levels.

You will understand this better if you played on Inside the Box before, the same rules apply. Without that pre-knowledge, you probably won't "get it".

You can export boxes with the "/export" command and they will get written to ".box" files

Differences from Inside The Box
  • Runs in singleplayer with no additional configuration hassle
  • NO LEVELS!
  • No music
  • No box ranks, scoring, categories
  • The "main lobby" is just a small simple island
  • Add missing entry/exit rooms missing from ITB source release
  • Has a German translation!
  • Removed "/pulverize" chat command
  • Fix various crashes
  • Disable telex by default
  • Several small UI changes to accommodate singleplayer mode
  • Prevent opening chests in editor, shows contents in chat instead
  • Fix various PNG errors
  • Make the left/right/top/bottom sides of symbol signs transparent
  • Add mod.conf for mods
  • Disallow placing nexus if torch is blocking
  • Various bugfixes relating to box entry teleporter
  • Make game function without music
Technicalities
Spoiler
This section is for the nerds. I describe here major technical stuff.

First of all, getting the original ITB to work at all was a challenge in itself. The first step was to just get to run the thing. Because the source code came in a stage that was clearly optimized for server use, NOT for standalone singleplayer use. The biggest hurdle is the ITB release was in an unusual state for normal players, installation is quite complicated and had many askward steps. ITBSE, on the other hand, needs to work out of the box. This is also a hard ContentDB rule (for good reason).

The biggest problem was that awkward software dependency on sqlite3 for the box database backend. I ripped that one completely out and re-implemented every function of the database backend (the "db" mod) by using mod storage instead.
In my work, I have ignored the scoring and ranking feature from ITB completely. The database supports those, but they're ignored. Anyway. The re-implementation of the boxes database was clearly the most important step to make ITBSE standalone.

Another technical change was removing the hard music dependency. I basically made music optional. The user had to awkwardly add a "localmusic" mod by hand to make ITB even start. I eventually want to ship music by default.

Then, I needed to manually add back the entry/exit rooms when you start/finish a box, because not even those were included in the source release. Also, a minimal spawn island was added so you don't fall into death because … you guessed it. There was no spawn island in the source release. Only an empty world with a single stone on which you spawn. The current spawn island is only a dummy, eventually it needs to become something beautiful.

A very big addition was translation support. A lot of work since I touched so many files, but it seems to work pretty well for now and even the signs in the box entry/exit are translated. What is not translatable yet are any in-box texts (like terminal text files or signs). Remember, I aim for FULL translatability, even for boxes themselves.
Licensing
Source code: LGPLv2.1+
Media: CC BY-SA 4.0

This is a derivate work of Inside the Box by sofar and nore.
Textures are from Isabella-II texture pack by boremouse.
For detailed credits, read "license.md" in the game files.
i can't not use the reveal tool, which is what i need to check if the terminal in terminal trouble is unlockable.
If my post says something, it is a opinion and not fact unless i say so

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.3]

by Wuzzy » Post

I made a small bugfix/tweak release, version 0.0.3:
  • Fix crash if using reveal tool (reported by rob123)
  • The HUD now uses different images for places in which you can place a slab or stair
  • Move the special entry/exit boxes to box numbers -1, -2
  • Box counting now starts at 0

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Music is not yet officially included, but in the meanwhile, you can install this mod:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24120

I could officially add music, but it increases the loading time by a lot. Maybe later.

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

Bug Report:
There is a mech bug that occurs when you use the connector tool to start a mech connection from within 3 nodes of the south/west walls of a box. When the connection is complete the game will crash.

This same bug use to be on the itb server about a year ago but has since been fixed by sofar.

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Inside The Box SE [0.0.4]

by Wuzzy » Post

Thank you for reporting!
Version 0.0.4 comes with a few bugfixes:
  • Fix crash when using connector sometimes
  • Fix mirrored waterlily texture on downside
  • Respawn player properly if falling out of the world w/ disabled damage
  • Fix a few missing translations
  • Add game title
  • Hide seed from game creation dialog

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

Will the games physics be changed to match the server physics?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have not touched the physics of this game at all and don’t plan to. I don’t know if there is a mismatch right now, nor do I know which parameters the official server uses (probably defaults? no idea).

Note the biggest problem right now is the lack of levels.

But yeah, if this game wants to import the ITB server levels, the physics need to match. Not sure how to do this, tho.

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

I ran some test and found that,
server physics, walking speed = 4.8

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

Using the Reveal Tool on a Node Detector that has been set to detect a node will crash the game.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for this bug report. It has been added to the bug tracker.

My interest in this game is currently inactive, even for bugfixes. What this game needs the most now is a few actual levels, even if just for demonstration. Before that has been achieved, my motivation do to anything else is very low. My interest might awaken again tho. ;-)

That having said, please keep the bug reports coming in. Testing is always appreciated.