Page 1 of 3

[Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:20
by Calinou

Carbone is back!



Image

What is Carbone NG?



  • Carbone NG (for next generation) is an improved minetest_game. It features many popular mods, renewed textures and improved default settings.

Important information



You need a recent Minetest version to play Carbone NG, check out the Builds section of the forum for up-to-date builds.

v7 is now the default and preferred map generation for Carbone NG. For an optimal experience, choose v7 as the map generator when creating a world. If you do not choose an option (which is what happens when you create a server), v7 will automatically be used.

Downloads



Download
GitHub repository (includes issue tracker)

Rename the directory to "carbone-ng" (without the quotes).

Notes



Carbone NG is Carbone, rebased on the latest minetest_game.

Note that some mods have intentionally not been merged back in the process, in order to start over with a lighter base. The default mod still needs a lot of work.

Mods



Code: Select all
3d_armor
bedrock
beds
boats
bones
bucket
carbone_mobs
carbone_torches
carts
creative
default
doors
dye
farming
fire
flowers
gauges
give_initial_stuff
hbarmor
highlandpools
hovers
hudbars
inventory_icon
item_drop
itemframes
jumping
large_hotbar
maptools
meze
moreblocks
name_restrictions
no_sneak_glitch
nyan_tools
paintings
player_textures
playertools
protector
screwdriver
sethome
sprint
stairs
throwing
tnt
unified_inventory
vessels
wool
worldedit
xban
xpanes


Misc.



License for code: LGPLv2.1 or later (or compatible licenses)
License for media: CC BY-SA 3.0 (or compatible licenses)

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 04:42
by FreeLikeGNU
Cool! What are your goals with this subgame? I love Carbone, what made you decide to start anew?

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 08:25
by Calinou
FreeLikeGNU wrote:Cool! What are your goals with this subgame? I love Carbone, what made you decide to start anew?


The goals are to ship a Minetest subgame including useful/popular mods. For instance, mobs are included.

The "old" Carbone was based on 0.4.9 minetest_game, it was very old by now.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 22:47
by caffe23
I like very much Carbone, good is back!... i been playing cabone a lot lately, Can i suggest adding a recipe for coal lumps by using wood in the furnace?, this way we can have a renowable resource to make torchs without having to go far and far to get it. Thanks for your work on Carbone!

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 02:40
by FreeLikeGNU
Calinou wrote:The goals are to ship a Minetest subgame including useful/popular mods. For instance, mobs are included.

The "old" Carbone was based on 0.4.9 minetest_game, it was very old by now.

I played for a little while after removing the empty worldedit mod folder. (Seems fixed now, thanks!)
Any chance for TenPlus1 Mobs Redo and KPG mobs making an appearance?
The new bumpmapping is welcome :D
EDIT: Sprinting is awesome!

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 07:57
by Calinou
FreeLikeGNU wrote:Any chance for TenPlus1 Mobs Redo and KPG mobs making an appearance?


No, for various reasons:

  • Carbone Mobs does the job ("something to be scared of, and something to make food of"),
  • KPG mobs is very inconsistent and the models don't suit a voxel world,
  • Mobs Redo also suffers from inconsistencies.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 15:45
by greydmiyu
Hmmm, wonder if I should restart my short-lived Carbone LP... :)

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 20:02
by lightonflux
In my opinion the hit and death sound don't fit the ambience that carbone ng is setting. They are too arcade-like.

What are your opinions?

hit.ogg

hit_death.ogg

(issue #2 on github)

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 05:53
by luigipacheco
Hello, i get an error on loading init.lua when loading the world,
am i supposed to paste the carbone-ng folder next next to minimal and minetestgame? or pase the folder inside minetestgame, or replace minetest game with carbone-ng?

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 08:26
by Calinou
luigipacheco wrote:Hello, i get an error on loading init.lua when loading the world,
am i supposed to paste the carbone-ng folder next next to minimal and minetestgame? or pase the folder inside minetestgame, or replace minetest game with carbone-ng?


You should paste the carbone-ng folder next to minimal and minetest_game, yes. You don't need to replace any of them.

Note that Carbone NG currently only works with a development build, which you can get from here. Once a newer version of Minetest is released, you will no longer need a development build.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 05:56
by FreeLikeGNU
I've been playing Carbone-NG without mods, and its coming along great! What more are you planning to do, we have not seen updates in over a week?

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:13
by Calinou
FreeLikeGNU wrote:I've been playing Carbone-NG without mods, and its coming along great! What more are you planning to do, we have not seen updates in over a week?


As popular (and not too heavyweight) mods appear, they will be added. There might be gameplay tweaks too in the future, but for now I'm mostly happy with minetest_game balance.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 15:58
by FreeLikeGNU
Calinou wrote:
FreeLikeGNU wrote:Any chance for TenPlus1 Mobs Redo and KPG mobs making an appearance?


No, for various reasons:

  • Carbone Mobs does the job ("something to be scared of, and something to make food of"),
  • KPG mobs is very inconsistent and the models don't suit a voxel world,
  • Mobs Redo also suffers from inconsistencies.


If you can tell me more about the inconsistencies, I'd like to try bringing some more mobs into Carbone. Particularly friendly mobs such as chickens, fish, dogs and cats to populate the overworld.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 16:08
by Calinou
FreeLikeGNU wrote:If you can tell me more about the inconsistencies, I'd like to try bringing some more mobs into Carbone. Particularly friendly mobs such as chickens, fish, dogs and cats to populate the overworld.


I would be glad to add chickens, pigs, cows, fish and perhaps dogs, I just need (freely licensed) models for them that suit the world (that is, cubic models).

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:42
by lightonflux
The kitten model is pretty good an cubic. link

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 06:51
by FreeLikeGNU
I know there were coins in the original Carbone. The mobs still have drop attributes that include them. Here's a wild idea: perhaps the mobs drop mese fragments (not whole crystals) instead? Story idea being that mese animates the dirt, sand, stone etc monsters and made other NPCs go mad to become troopers, etc...

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 09:04
by Calinou
FreeLikeGNU wrote:I know there were coins in the original Carbone. The mobs still have drop attributes that include them. Here's a wild idea: perhaps the mobs drop mese fragments (not whole crystals) instead? Story idea being that mese animates the dirt, sand, stone etc monsters and made other NPCs go mad to become troopers, etc...


Makes sense, I will add this soon.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 02:21
by caffe23
Just a crazy idea, what about a dispenser machine to change the coins for some rare material?, the price of the material can rise to make it more expensive each time.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 09:15
by lightonflux
Please no coins. They are annoying in single player and almost every server removed them, because it uses another currency mods.

The mese idea is pretty neat. But only for hostile mods. There are just to many friendly mobds, it would invalue mese quite a bit.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 02:57
by FreeLikeGNU
Yeah coin dropping has bothered me in many rpgs... I'd rather avoid currencies as minetest is about crafting and exploration to me

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 15:52
by FreeLikeGNU
I've tested the updated "default" mod from the official minetest_game GIT repo in Carbone-NG for working mapgen 7 biomes and it works great! I'm also compiling minetest from the latest GIT. Please merge this with Carbone-NG! MG v7 makes for some wonderful fantasy landscapes and deep cavernous spaces for exploring. The minetest.conf should have the biome configuration and mg7 flags added from to make this work:

Code: Select all
mg_name = v7
#    Map generation attributes specific to Mapgen V7.
#    Currently supported: mountains, ridges.
mgv7_spflags = mountains, ridges
#    Noise parameters for biome API temperature, humidity and biome blend
mg_biome_np_heat = 50, 50, (1000, 1000, 1000), 5349, 3, 0.5, 2.0
mg_biome_np_heat_blend = 0, 1.5, (8, 8, 8), 13, 2, 1.0, 2.0
mg_biome_np_humidity = 50, 50, (1000, 1000, 1000), 842, 3, 0.5, 2.0
mg_biome_np_humidity_blend = 0, 1.5, (8, 8, 8), 90003, 2, 1.0, 2.0

mgv7_np_terrain_base = 4, 70, (600, 600, 600), 82341, 5, 0.6, 2.0
mgv7_np_terrain_alt = 4, 25, (600, 600, 600), 5934, 5, 0.6, 2.0
mgv7_np_terrain_persist = 0.6, 0.1, (2000, 2000, 2000), 539, 3, 0.6, 2.0
mgv7_np_height_select = -12, 24, (500, 500, 500), 4213, 6, 0.7, 2.0
mgv7_np_filler_depth = 0, 1.2, (150, 150, 150), 261, 3, 0.7, 2.0
mgv7_np_mount_height = 256, 112, (1000, 1000, 1000), 72449, 3, 0.6, 2.0
mgv7_np_ridge_uwater = 0, 1, (1000, 1000, 1000), 85039, 5, 0.6, 2.0
mgv7_np_mountain = -0.6, 1, (250, 350, 250), 5333, 5, 0.63, 2.0
mgv7_np_ridge = 0, 1, (100, 100, 100), 6467, 4, 0.75, 2.0
mgv7_np_cave1 = 0, 12, (100, 100, 100), 52534, 4, 0.5, 2.0
mgv7_np_cave2 = 0, 12, (100, 100, 100), 10325, 4, 0.5, 2.0

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 18:36
by Calinou
mgv7 is now the default and preferred map generation for Carbone NG.

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 20:04
by FreeLikeGNU
Calinou wrote:mgv7 is now the default and preferred map generation for Carbone NG.


Carbone-NG-MGv7.jpg
Carbone-NG MGv7 Default Settings seed = 16215043290955697875
(364.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Looks fantastic!

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 17:41
by TuxerP
Is you're carbone-ng lite ennough to be played from mobile devices with wifi and th minetest app?

Re: [Game] Carbone NG [carbone-ng]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 18:11
by Calinou
TuxerP wrote:Is you're carbone-ng lite ennough to be played from mobile devices with wifi and th minetest app?


I haven't tested, but it should be marginally heavier than minetest_game.