[Game] Minetest NeXt (discontinued) (part of minetest_game)

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Would it be possible to add different mgflags to the New World form so you can tick/untick jungles, caves, flat, nolight etc. within the actual game itself... ?
That would probably be a core engine change, not a modding side change
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

hoodedice wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:Would it be possible to add different mgflags to the New World form so you can tick/untick jungles, caves, flat, nolight etc. within the actual game itself... ?
That would probably be a core engine change, not a modding side change
Shame, I was looking through the minetest files and noticed quite a few .lua files for the game front-end itself... *hopeful*

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

paramat wrote:I seem to remember BlockMen is the only other modder other than me to do this.
Havent you seen screenshots of Nodetopia yet? viewtopic.php?pid=124740#p124740
Last edited by PilzAdam on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
paramat wrote:I seem to remember BlockMen is the only other modder other than me to do this.
Havent you seen screenshots of Nodetopia yet? viewtopic.php?pid=124740#p124740
I still wonder why you keep that game so "underground". Release it formally, have a party, man! I'd played it and I've liked it.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Ahh cool ... =) i had forgotten that screenshot, the grassy sides are one reason it looks so good.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

paramat wrote:This is a good opportunity to change the mapgen v6 parameters, are you already working on this? i'm thinking of playing with these myself to improve and show the potential of MGV6. Remember MGV7 is about to be radically rewritten so don't depend on that.
Thanks for adding my wieldhand :)
No, currently not. But suggest tweaked values if you want (or make a pull request) ;)
paramat wrote:A radical suggestion ... change the grass side texture to be completely grass, this was the first change i ever made to Minetest, lines of dirt along the sides of every grassy hill look so bad to me =/ I seem to remember BlockMen is the only other modder other than me to do this.
Hmm...i will talk with sfan5 and nore about this but personally i wouldnt want it make with a texture (if changing at all).

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Re:

by Jordach » Post

BlockMen wrote:
paramat wrote:This is a good opportunity to change the mapgen v6 parameters, are you already working on this? i'm thinking of playing with these myself to improve and show the potential of MGV6. Remember MGV7 is about to be radically rewritten so don't depend on that.
Thanks for adding my wieldhand :)
No, currently not. But suggest tweaked values if you want (or make a pull request) ;)
paramat wrote:A radical suggestion ... change the grass side texture to be completely grass, this was the first change i ever made to Minetest, lines of dirt along the sides of every grassy hill look so bad to me =/ I seem to remember BlockMen is the only other modder other than me to do this.
Hmm...i will talk with sfan5 and nore about this but personally i wouldnt want it make with a texture (if changing at all).
A hybrid form of Better grass would be a better idea...

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

Re: [Game] Minetest NeXt [minetest_next]

by Casimir » Post

Something like this?

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Jordach wrote:A hybrid form of Better grass would be a better idea...
Casimir wrote:Something like this?
-img-
Personally i would prefer something like this: viewtopic.php?id=5190
, but it needs a lot improvement before it could be included (if somehting like that gets added at all)

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

/me would prefer Casimir's grass, because dirt is still visible. Grass does not grow very well on vertical sides.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

I just put this maybe not fully fitting link here.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/181

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

what are the main goals for this game? aside from taking the original minetest_game place.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Linxx wrote:what are the main goals for this game? aside from taking the original minetest_game place.
I presume it's mostly only filling the gap and improving the game without really changing its goal.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

I think it does more than improving the default game, it also changes most of the default textures. I don't think everyone like these changes.
https://github.com/BlockMen/minetest_ne ... bec67d1ddc

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote: I think it does more than improving the default game, it also changes most of the default textures. I don't think everyone like these changes.
Ups. That's a serious problem. That means that existing servers can't just switch over to minetest_next - the appearance of buildings would be changed. Of course players do sometimes use texture packs - but that's their choice then. They can't complain if a building doesn't look well with other textures than those installed by default on the server.

Some of the new functions are very nice: /sethome is very important (even for singleplayer - I don't want to know how many starter houses have been lost due to players not finding back there after death!). Protected furnaces are also very good. Also jungle enabled by default.

But the textures are a problem. Please find a way to make minetest_next usable on existing servers. The imrpovements are worth it. Changing the textures on existing worlds is an absolute no-go. An option to choose which textures to use might do. Perhaps a small shell script that copies the old textures back - plus an extra mod, i.e. default2, that adds blocks with the new textures to the game. That would be the choice I'd love to see implemented.

The xpanes are also an improvement compared to the xpanes mod on Redcrabs server - those always had the problem of connecting glass panes to nodeboxes, like i.e. chairs, and that didn't look well. Unfortionately, the xpanes are not the solution I need for my buildings. Just place one of the nice new glass doors (not as nice as the homedecor ones but definitely a start) next to a wall consisting of the new glasspanes. See the problem? That's where I need glass panes. And also in buildings where the walls are made of half-wide blocks. Moving the glass pane to the border of the block is only half the solution.

The dark background when accessing a formspec is strange. Does it symbolize locked objects? If so, perhaps a lock or key symbol might help.

And please don't get me wrong on the textures. I like most of the new ones far more than the old ones. Some may be a huge improvement for cheap buildings out of cobble/stonebrick/wood. And the sandstonebrick texture is also very nice. The clay one less so. The wood texture is a definite improvement. Perhaps making it end at the block boundary would look even better. New worlds will look better with the new textures.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Code: Select all

mkdir pack/oldtextures
echo "Old minetest_game textures" > pack/oldtextures/description.txt
find games/minetest_game/ -name "*.png" -exec cp {} pack/oldtextures/ \;
done
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

sfan5 wrote:

Code: Select all

mkdir pack/oldtextures
    echo "Old minetest_game textures" > pack/oldtextures/description.txt
    find games/minetest_game/ -name "*.png" -exec cp {} pack/oldtextures/ \;
done
And how may a server use such a texture pack?

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

̣
Last edited by Hybrid Dog on Mon May 26, 2014 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Blockmen, having completely grassy sides to grass nodes is probably unpopular with most players, and can be done easily with a texture change, so i really don't expect this to happen ;) In fact i would rather it was done simply with a texture instead of your complex (and impressive) abm method.

Concerning mapgen, hmmmm has developed some new parameters for MGV6 which apparently are a big improvement and he would like to see those used somewhere, i'll try to find those for you.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Hello!

My son is playing Minetest NeXt on a windows machine. He tried farming, and planted about 7 wheat seeds and waited for them to grow. He harvested when he thought they were done (they had turned yellow) but he only harvested 2 wheat and no new seeds.

I've never done any farming, but this doesn't sound like the expected rate of return. What is he doing wrong?

Thanks!

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

by rubberduck » Post

the wheat seed has 8 different sizes when growing.
you have to wait for the last "status" of the plant

here you can read more about the wheat, size and drop-probabilities

http://wiki.minetest.net/Wheat_%28plant%29
if the plant is fully grown up, you should get at least one seed and one wheat(item) per plant

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

That was it. He mistook the "almost grown" for the "fully grown" image. He is now harvesting with very nice returns.

Thank you!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Kilarin wrote: That was it. He mistook the "almost grown" for the "fully grown" image. He is now harvesting with very nice returns.
He's not the first one to encounter that problem. It annoyed me a lot with the strawberries from farming_plus. Thus, I changed the image to the almost-grown one from red strawberries to more white/pinkish berries. This makes distinguishing them a lot easier.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Sokomine wrote:He's not the first one to encounter that problem.
His final method of determining when the wheat was ripe: one looked for one pixle on the bottom row. If it was missing, the wheat was in stage 7, if it was there, the wheat was in stage 8 and ripe.

I think you've got an excellent point that making the final stage of a harvest crop more easily distinguishable might be a good change to make.

Mikerhinos

by Mikerhinos » Post

Sparklings when ready to harvest would be pretty cool too.