[(Client)Mod] Client Side Protection [csm_protection]

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

[(Client)Mod] Client Side Protection [csm_protection]

by Desour » Post

Client Side Protection

The player can't cheat anymore through walls, doors or roofs with this.

This mod can be used as mod and as clientmod.
The server and the client have to have it to make it work.

It would be really nice if servers install this mod. They can force their players to use this mod by kicking them on violate.

Depends: csm_com

License: CC0

Download: https://codeberg.org/Desour/csm_protect ... master.zip
Git repo: https://codeberg.org/Desour/csm_protection
Last edited by Desour on Mon Oct 16, 2023 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [(Client)Mod] Client Side Protection [csm_protection]

by ExeterDad » Post

Could you possibly give some more details about this mod? Sounds interesting even though I'm not sure exactly what it's capable of.

Desour
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

When the player tries to dig a protected node, normally the node is away for some time. Until it's back the player can walk through walls, doors and roofs. If this client- and server-side mod is installed (on both, client and server), the client is stopped client-side from digging the node. => It will never disappear.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

So how do you stop them from just changing the client mod?
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Desour

by Desour » Post

duane wrote:So how do you stop them from just changing the client mod?
If a player has this mod, he will never violate protection (so, trigger the event). This means you can simply add very hard punishment (like kicking).

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

DS-minetest wrote:If a player has this mod, he will never violate protection (so, trigger the event). This means you can simply add very hard punishment (like kicking).
But if he wants to violate protection, all he has to do is modify (or just remove) the client mod, or am I missing something? If you're going to punish him based on easily modifiable code that he has to install, he's got a strong motivation to change that code to something he won't get punished for.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

duane wrote:
DS-minetest wrote:If a player has this mod, he will never violate protection (so, trigger the event). This means you can simply add very hard punishment (like kicking).
But if he wants to violate protection, all he has to do is modify (or just remove) the client mod, or am I missing something? If you're going to punish him based on easily modifiable code that he has to install, he's got a strong motivation to change that code to something he won't get punished for.
I'm not understanding the logic of this either. I'm trying to though :)

Desour

by Desour » Post

I found a problem, this only prevents from digging yet, not placing. But it's currently not really possible, I think.

There's a server-side function that is called when a player digs/places a protected node. On_punchnode the client mod asks the server mod via csm_com (which uses chat) if the punched node is protected. If it is protected, the server mod tells the client mod the position. The client mod saves this position. On_dignode the client mod checks if the position is the last position of that is told, that it's protected, if so, it returns true (the node is not digged). The server-side protection_violate function isn't called.
If the client mod is changed, that it doesn't return true, the node disappears but also the server-side protection_violate function is called. If the server kicks on this event the player, the one who has the mod (unmodified) doesn't get kicked, the one who hasn't gets kicked.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

^^ Thanks for explaining :) That's actually pretty clever.
Another question. Almost nobody uses CSM currently as it involves manually installing and configuring. Especially mobile users. How will this affect players that aren't using your mod at this time?

Desour

by Desour » Post

ExeterDad wrote:^^ Thanks for explaining :) That's actually pretty clever.
Another question. Almost nobody uses CSM currently as it involves manually installing and configuring. Especially mobile users. How will this affect players that aren't using your mod at this time?
It won't do anything. The only thing, that is different is that they see a chatmessage because of csm_com ("Psst, don't let your master hear this! Do you have csm_com?" I think).

AntumDeluge
GitHub: AntumDeluge
IRC: AntumDeluge

by AntumDeluge » Post

I've been looking for a way to do this. Thank you.

Personally, I'd like to see this functionality built into the server code.

Desour

by Desour » Post

It could work much more reliable, also on place and without server mod if csm had something like an is_protected(pos) function.

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

Added "ManElevation World"
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

hey looks interesting!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

JTE

by JTE » Post

AntumDeluge wrote:Personally, I'd like to see this functionality built into the server code.
I couldn't agree more. Protected blocks have no reason to even be crack-able clientside, the server simply never attempts to actually communicate where protection areas exist until a block is broken, and minetest_game doesn't use the entire feature at all (even locked chests are just a different block type with an overwritten can_dig definition) so there are tons of mods which don't even respect it, and so on... I think it needs some love.