How to install a Client-side Mod

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

How to install a Client-side Mod

by GreenDimond » Wed Jun 07, 2017 16:35

How to install Client-Side Mods
This tutorial is done in Linux, but can be applied to Windows.
A more detailed tutorial can be found on the Minetest Wiki.

1 - Go to the Client-Side Modding section (you should already be here).

2 - Find a mod you want to download and click the download link.

3 - Save it to a directory of your choice.

4 - Right-click the .zip file and select "Extract here".

5 - Right-click the new folder and select 'Rename'. Take the "-master" off the name.

6 - Go to your minetest directory and create a folder called "clientmods" if it is not already there.

7 - Create a text file called "mods.conf" if it is not already there.

8 - Open mods.conf in your favorite text editor and add "enable_mod_colour_chat = true" (colour_chat is used in this examle - use the name of the mod you downloaded). Then save it.

9 - Move your mod to the clientmods folder.

10 - Open Minetest and go to the 'Settings' tab. Click 'Advanced Settings'. In the search box type 'client modding' and press the 'Search' button. "Client Modding" should already be selected (if not, select it). Press the 'Edit' button and change to 'Enabled'. Save your changes.

Your client-side mod has been enabled! Type .help all to see what you can do!
My YouTube channel. I moderate the HOMETOWN Server. My Mods: Tac Nayn - Sandplus - Waffles - Pumpkin Spice - Christmas Decor ✂️- - - - -

Modern Hippie

Re: How to install a Client-side Mod

by Modern Hippie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 09:59

Why?! Why are you doing this?!
These client mods are so bad (for example you can crash a server using a client mod) and now there is a 'How to', that everyone, who didn't know this since now has the know-how to use it? R.I.P. Minetest :(
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!

Linuxdirk

GitHub: 4w
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01

Modern Hippie wrote:(for example you can crash a server using a client mod)

There are certain user names that can crash not updated servers running on Windows, so, yeah ... :D

muhdnurhidayat

GitHub: MuhdNurHidayat
IRC: muhdnurhidayat
In-game: muhdnurhidayat

by muhdnurhidayat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:20

If you're saying client mods could crash server then you understand its functions wrongly... or the server owner is not willing to update (they must always use updated version, regardless client mods is there or not)
[ Full signature ] - UTC+8 here, contributing to Minetest Wiki. I'm muhdnurhidayat in IFS (mod), HOMETOWN & others. / Twitter / MT Offtopic ✂️- - - - - -

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001 red-002 red-003 etc red-NaN red-999 Lord_Buckethead

by red-001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29

in fairness literal anything can crash servers, but I haven't heard of CSM causing crashes.

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42

red-001 wrote:in fairness literal anything can crash servers, but I haven't heard of CSM causing crashes.

Yes, that's right. But crashes caused by server mods can be fixed by the server admin. Crashes caused by client mods can't.

Yesterday I tried the Chest Inspector CSM on a server with the mailboxes from Homedecor. As I tried to take something out of it, the server crashed.
Everyone who has this CSM can do that.
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001 red-002 red-003 etc red-NaN red-999 Lord_Buckethead

by red-001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59

That's a broken server-sided mod and it's the job of the mod author/server owner to fix that.

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 13:21

red-001 wrote:That's a broken server-sided mod and it's the job of the mod author/server owner to fix that.

Partly. What I don't understand is why they added the possibility to use csms so that server admins have more to do fixing loads of abused csms...? That's a fault by the devs too (not only, but too), I think... (Yes, I'm sure, that there will be really loads of them - not only the ones posted in the forum)

Linuxdirk

GitHub: 4w
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 13:43

Modern Hippie wrote:
red-001 wrote:That's a broken server-sided mod and it's the job of the mod author/server owner to fix that.

Partly. What I don't understand is why they added the possibility to use csms so that server admins have more to do fixing loads of abused csms...?

The whole modding system is broken by design ...

No namespaces, no proper translation functionality, no runtime limitation, no background loading, not "hotpluggable" (which is annoying for mod developing), inconsistent and largely insufficiently documented or undocumented API calls, some API functions use have an absurdly complex and overcomplicated syntax, possibility for mods to override other mods without warning, messed up globals, mod name validation done by parsing the folder name, no built-in way to load user-set configuration OR default value, and so on.

Mods being able to crash the server is not the problem - it's the result of a LOT of modding-related problems (they basically just doubled now that CSM gone live without any security features considered beforehand).

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

BBmine

GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52

I want to revise that a bit. When you download it,
Code: Select all
cd .minetest/clientmods
git clone https://github.com/red-001/colour_chat

Then when you want to update it,
Code: Select all
cd .minetest/clientmods/colour_chat
git pull --all

But yeah, that's the kinda guide I shoulda had when I was getting started on CSMs.
God's not dead! -- Mods, Servers, My Youtube Channel My forum Good Music -- Never gonna give you up!!

Andrey01

GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 17:14

For these Client-Side-Mods everyone access cheating on many servers as just test to.
I like and i am learning to build nice and great houses, palaces, infrastructures and etc... in Minetest!
My Mods:
Unfinished:Medicine,Cube Nodes.

Old:Sweet Machine,Drink Machine

My Favourite Servers:
just test, Switchboard PvP made by yngwie123, VanessaE`s creative-building server, Parkour Owned by LoweGaming, Fractal Island and some other servers!

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Thu Aug 03, 2017 23:47

Andrey01 wrote:For these Client-Side-Mods everyone access cheating on many servers as just test to.

Like?

Return to Client-side modding