I am struggling with Wiki and....

DagonX

I am struggling with Wiki and....

by DagonX » Post

I am trying to figure out how to install mods.
A few worked when I installed them i.e. Dreambuilders and Unified_Inventory, one texture pack the first one I tried which is PixelDaydreams.
But the Tutorial world,and the other mods Sokomine-travelnet and painting don't seem to show up.
I would like to try more mods like one's I seen on Youtube but not too many because I doubt my computer could handle it but I am not which ones will work for me or would help me have peaceful only game.
The wiki said that worlds go in subgame folders but when I looked in the Minetest folders on my windows computer it has no subgames folder so I created one but that doesn't work either.
Yet it shows up in config window, but doesn't give me much options to do anything.
When I tried to mess around in that area it made me my current world not load, somehow I figured out how to fix it but I don't remember at moment how.
I just downloaded whatever version was on the main page of the Minetest, I am not a programer.
I like what I have seen but there is lot to learn like why I got invasion of rats in my game and how to turn them off.
At least the Skeletons when I met one don't attack, its bit weird and nice.
I really more of builder and artist type. I don't like fighting mobs. I find mining relaxing.
Anyway any advise how to problem solve when you don't know how code or seeming to struggle with wiki would be of help.
I have ran into some other weird errors like something about wand but I see some type of wand thing in my inventory but I don't understand what I am seeing or what mod it comes from.
It would be helpful if someone could point me right direction where to look for things and also tell me which things I can put in my mod folder that actually will work for me.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

Re: I am struggling with Wiki and....

by dawgdoc » Post

If the Windows version is like the LInux version you will need to create a couple of folders. The path to creating the folder would be ~/.minetest/mods or ~/.minetest/games (note that subgames go into a folder named games, not subgames). The full path for the same directories would be /home/username/.minetest/mods and /home/username/.minetest/games Also, many of the folders created for mods, when you extract the contents of the zip download, need to be renamed. If the folder that is created is named along the lines of /somemod_master, change it to /somemod.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

DagonX

by DagonX » Post

I am using windows 10. I end up just deleting everything except Dreambuilder and PixelDaydreams.
I wish I knew what mods or subgames I can use but honestly I don't know anything else.
And the wiki isn't exactly newbie friendly for the non-programer type especially when I can't understand the instructions. :(
I removed the master part.
But it didn't working for painting mod when I did that.
I know that much but everything else I am struggling with.
But the good news is I think I removed the rats and actually got something work.
With Minecraft I never was able ever in last two years to use texture pack but with Minetest I can at least get one to work.

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

I have an instruction for german teachers. It is written in german, but the screenshot will may be help, too.
http://wiki.minetest.net/Minetest_in_de ... und_nutzen

DagonX

by DagonX » Post

Thanks BirgitLacchner
Google translates the page to English for me so it helps too.
I will check it out.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The wiki said that worlds go in subgame folders
OMG. This is clearly wrong. I need to fix this.
The truth is: Worlds need to go into the “worlds” folder. Subgames go into the “games” folder.

Note I am someone who works a lot on the Minetest Wiki.
Please point me to any other SPECIFIC confusions and potential mistakes in the wiki. Ideally with link and exact quote so I can find and fix it.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't find anywhere in the wiki where it is claimed that worlds go into the subgame folder. Please give me a link and quote.
END OF EDIT.
I have ran into some other weird errors like something about wand but I see some type of wand thing in my inventory but I don't understand what I am seeing or what mod it comes from.
Give us a screenshot, please.

DagonX

by DagonX » Post

Wuzzy it what I saw. I haven't been back nor played the game since shortly after I posted this originally.
If it's not there now it's not there now. Me doing a screenshot of it if it's already changed isn't going to do anything since you know so much about the freakin wiki and I don't.
I only came back to check forum the last few days ago because some weirdo sent me spam about some type of disturbing accusation of people I don't know, nor do I know what the connection is to this site.
I must likely won't be back.