"It doesn't work" - mod problems from a newbie

asdfadf

"It doesn't work" - mod problems from a newbie

by asdfadf » Post

I have successfully installed a few mods on my singleplayer instance of minetest: bedrock, moretrees, nether. However, some when I extract the zip which I got either from these forums or the minetest.net/customise page and put the resulting directory in ~/.minetest/mods, "don't work". That is, their thumbnail and description don't show up in the minetest menu (see the screenshot) and their functions aren't present (ex: a crafting recipe provided by that mod does not produce any item).
I haven't changed the directory structure or any files, though I did rename these directories (circularsaw, travelnet, highlandpools) after they failed to work the first time. What should I check?
Attachments
mine mods.png
mine mods.png (42.66 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: "It doesn't work" - mod problems from a newbie

by Napiophelios » Post

circularsaw: no description / no screenshot/ no mod.conf
highland pools: no description / no screenshot/ no mod.conf
travelnet: no description / no screenshot/ no mod.conf

no mod.conf means you can't rename the folder without effect.
no description file means there won't be one in the mod window.
no screenshot means there won't be one in the mod window.

bedrock2 and moretrees have all the proper mod files,
these should both appear with screenshots and descriptions in the mod window.

Moretrees has a hard dependency on biome_lib and vessels mods.
without them the mod won't work.

accept for bedrock2 and travelnet, I think all mods need default.
and nether needs stairs mod

hope this helps.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

If the problem is that the mods don't do anything in game (as I gather from the "their functions aren't present"), that's because you need to enable them. Go back to the Local Game tab, select the world you want (but don't play it), press the Configure button, enable the mods you want, and press Save.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

asdfadf wrote:I have successfully installed a few mods on my singleplayer instance of minetest: bedrock, moretrees, nether. However, some when I extract the zip which I got either from these forums or the minetest.net/customise page and put the resulting directory in ~/.minetest/mods, "don't work". That is, their thumbnail and description don't show up in the minetest menu (see the screenshot) and their functions aren't present (ex: a crafting recipe provided by that mod does not produce any item).
I haven't changed the directory structure or any files, though I did rename these directories (circularsaw, travelnet, highlandpools) after they failed to work the first time. What should I check?
You should also not that if you're running minetest as "run_in_place", generally because you compiled it, the mod directory will be the "mods" directory under the binary directory, not the ".minetest" directory. ".minetest" is used only for system-wide installations.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

asdfadf

by asdfadf » Post

duane wrote:You should also not that if you're running minetest as "run_in_place", generally because you compiled it, the mod directory will be the "mods" directory under the binary directory, not the ".minetest" directory. ".minetest" is used only for system-wide installations.
I got it precompiled.
v-rob wrote:If the problem is that the mods don't do anything in game (as I gather from the "their functions aren't present"), that's because you need to enable them. Go back to the Local Game tab, select the world you want (but don't play it), press the Configure button, enable the mods you want, and press Save.
Thanks. I didn't know that you have to specifically enable mods to get them to work.
Napiophelios wrote:Moretrees has a hard dependency on biome_lib and vessels mods.
without them the mod won't work.

accept for bedrock2 and travelnet, I think all mods need default.
and nether needs stairs mod

hope this helps.
Okay; I downloaded and installed biome_lib. Vessels and stairs were already installed and enabled.

So now the only one I know for sure that doesn't work is travelnet. It's enabled for the world I'm in. Using the recipes provided here: viewtopic.php?t=4877 doesn't produce anything.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Get a crafting guide

I don't know about the crafts in the mod topic,
but the ones in the craft guide work for me.

The recipes aren't overly complicated either,
you might want to check to see if there are any
conflicting recipes with your other mods.