The forums go slow again

runs
GitHub: runsy

The forums go slow again

by runs » Post

Sometimes the loading stops. And an error page.

Please celeron, solve it. You can hire a site with a VPS. Or ask for money to the community to buy a next gen PC only for a server, 2000 € max. People are very stingy but it must be assumed that the Open Sourve requires a minimum amount of money to operate.

Thanz.
Ko-fi | 💬 Minetest Chat | 👧 Samantha | ⛏️ Juanchi Game | 🐱 Petz

ROllerozxa
GitHub: ROllerozxa

Re: The forums go slow again

by ROllerozxa » Post

From what I can recall the forums are already running on a VPS. Shelling out large amounts of cash for a dedicated server (that I assume will be self hosted as well?) would be a naive idea if the cause of the slowdowns haven't precisely been narrowed down. phpBB, as bloated and clunky as it is, is certainly not very resource intensive, and throwing more hardware at the issue won't help if the cause is more along the lines of automated scripts (search engine crawlers along with some more malicious bots) saturating the available bandwidth.

Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

as long you don't know what hardware is used ... a bit early to think about so much money

first analyse the bottlenecks that really slow it down.

Depending on my time here ... it is not always same slow, that indicates something, that is not fixed and stay same like HDD, Ram, CPU ... or something else is running there also ...

and I am not sure how often this was discussed yet ... did something change ?
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

runs
GitHub: runsy

by runs » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 09:15
as long you don't know what hardware is used ... a bit early to think about so much money

first analyse the bottlenecks that really slow it down.

Depending on my time here ... it is not always same slow, that indicates something, that is not fixed and stay same like HDD, Ram, CPU ... or something else is running there also ...

and I am not sure how often this was discussed yet ... did something change ?
celeron has the server in his own home. Minetest Forums had in nov20 1200 users at the same time. This implies a lot of people connected at the same time. The scalation is important.

So I propose to move the forums to a professional hosting out private houses. If you pay, you can demand to the service or amply the contract to more resources.

But well, that's just my opinion. I don't have much idea about servers. I only know that the forums sometimes go wrong.
Ko-fi | 💬 Minetest Chat | 👧 Samantha | ⛏️ Juanchi Game | 🐱 Petz

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

The forums never were fast.

Last year I did a test and I guess it’s the exact same issue since then.

viewtopic.php?p=371296#p371296

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

The only reason the forum had 1200 people in November 2020 is that there were lots of bots spamming the forums at that point until celeron55 banned their IP addresses or somesuch. There was never even close to that many actual users, registered or not.
GUI Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass | To contact me, send a PM