Display glitch?

Enkidu
In-game: Enkidu

Display glitch?

by Enkidu » Post

Minetest-5.6.0-dev-ec9f157 (server)
Minetest-5.6.0-dev-ec9f157 (client)
Running on Ubuntu 22.04

So, I'm deep (>1024) in a large cavern. In the distance, across the cavern there are lighted areas, blue in colour, like I can see the sky! When it is night outside I can see the stars. I can see the moon pass across a lighted area. These lighted areas seem to be openings to further reaches of the cavern.

In addition, when I look into a nearby dark or dimly lit area I see little sparkles.

This seems to have come on fairly recently, but doesn't seem to be related to any particular update. (I update and compile every week or so.) Does anyone know what is going on here? I'll try to attach a couple of screenshots, but I'm unsure if that will work.
Attachments
screenshot_20220514_133354.png
screenshot_20220514_133354.png (315.76 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
screenshot_20220514_143713.png
screenshot_20220514_143713.png (99.46 KiB) Viewed 1601 times

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Display glitch?

by Festus1965 » Post

yes, you see the sky, as your client has (still) not loaded further other solid rock, and so can't show it = show sky behind. normal ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

@Festus1965 It was not always this way. At one time I would see a bright grey-white patch which would fade away. It doesn't fase away now. Are you saying that there is no solution?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I change the skybox to black when below -100 so this doesnt happen.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 05:40
I change the skybox to black when below -100 so this doesnt happen.
I see. Where do I set that? I don't know much about the innards of MT. Thanks

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

You could use Sofar's SkyBox mod to create and set an underground skybox for when you are digging: https://content.minetest.net/packages/sofar/skybox/

..or..

The Other Worlds mod adds an asteroid layer which uses it's own skyboxes and the underground one is already set to black for you: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/other_worlds

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:34
You could use Sofar's SkyBox mod to create and set an underground skybox for when you are digging: https://content.minetest.net/packages/sofar/skybox/
Thanks. I'll look into that.

What puzzles me is why this has suddenly started happening. These bright areas used to disappear after a second or two, but now they stay there for ever.

I checked the git log for the last week or so, but nothing sticks out.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

Update:

I discovered that my Minetest server script was not bringing the server down. Having fixed that, so that the server and client are at exactly the same version, the problem seems to have been ameliorated. It hasn't been completely fixed, though. The version were never very different, so it's a bit odd.

I'll continue to update the server and the client every week or so, and hope that the issue goes away completely. If I find out what is causing this I will update this topic.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

You might have accidentally turned on free mode by jumping twice very quick – or at least set the free mode or fly flag on your account by doing so (the flag is set regardless of permissions). This causes the automatic darkening of the sky when underground to be turned off. Press space two times again. You can disable this feature:

Code: Select all

doubletap_jump = false
I totally consider this a s being a bug (nothing should happen when trying to enter fly mode or free move when not having the permissions for doing so) and I play around with this in my let’s play sometimes.

Enkidu wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 02:52
In addition, when I look into a nearby dark or dimly lit area I see little sparkles.
Yeah :( Same reason as above ... Just try the double jump to toggle the flag and the sky should be darkened and the sparkles and sky should disappear.

Both is actually caused by this. The sky appears in areas where are no nodes loaded and the sparkles appear from the sky because ... yeah ... something with how Minetest renders nodes, I guess. the sparkles are on the seams between two nodes.

Enkidu

by Enkidu » Post

This was the problem! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've no idea how it got switched on.

Double jumping actually had no effect. I had to go to the "Keybindings" dialog and check the "Double tap jump to toggle fly" box.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 18:49
You might have accidentally turned on free mode by jumping twice very quick – or at least set the free mode or fly flag on your account by doing so (the flag is set regardless of permissions). This causes the automatic darkening of the sky when underground to be turned off. Press space two times again. You can disable this feature:

Code: Select all

doubletap_jump = false
I totally consider this as being a bug (nothing should happen when trying to enter fly mode or free move when not having the permissions for doing so) and I play around with this in my let’s play sometimes.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post