What are these pink dots?

MegaMegaMega

What are these pink dots?

by MegaMegaMega » Post

I'm running a private server with a lot of mods, and recently these pink dots have started appearing on certain blocks. I can't tell if this is intentional or a bug of some kind.
Here are the mod folders in my worldmods directory:

Code: Select all

3d_armor          banshee             charcoal_10549     ebiomes           lwscratch             mobs_skeletons  paleotest         steel
agriculture_3948  basic_signs         config_3228        edit_skin         mesecons              morebiomes      quartz            techage_modpack-master
algae_5868        biofuel             cool_trees-master  farming           mob_core              moreblocks      rangedweapons     terumet
ambion            biome_lib           creatura           hammermod         mobkit                morelights      redw              travelnet
animalia          bonemeal            crops              i3                mobs                  moreores        regrowing_fruits  wildlife
animalworld-main  bucket_wooden_1136  cucina_vegana      ingots            mobs_animal           moretrees       resource_crops    zombies4test
anvil             bushy_leaves        denseores          lapis             mobs_ghost_redo_2275  nextgen_fungi   signs_lib
bakedclay         caverealms_lite     draconis           lumpblocks_15234  mobs_monster          ore_deposits    silver
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (429.23 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

Re: What are these pink dots?

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

No clue what it is. Try opening the debug menu with F5 and look at the node name:
screenshot_20230226_105808.png
screenshot_20230226_105808.png (188.14 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
If it says 'default:stone' then this is most likely a bug of some sort. Otherwise it should point out the responsible mod.

Bla
GitHub: blaboing

by Bla » Post

Can´t tell you which mod causes it but how I would try to find it.

Search for all texture files in your mod and go through them based on thumbnail and name to find that dot texture.
Just be aware that the dot texture could have for example a white dot that gets colored later by minetest

MegaMegaMega

by MegaMegaMega » Post

Thank you Skamiz (ki'e do). Sadly it does say it's 'default:stone', so probably a bug.
Looking at every texture is probably the only way, like Bla suggests.
Bummer, but I'm already used to it at this point :)

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Since we know it's default:stone now, maybe we can work out what is causing the texture to be different? As far as I know it must be one of these:
  1. The server has a texture pack installed. You would know if you installed/created a texture pack. The texture pack would override stone's texture OR override just the texture of that node, and it would apply to all instances of that node. Also I can see the same pink dot is on that cobblestone in your OP.
  2. A mod is overriding the definition of stone to add a pink dot texture on top. You should search your mod directory for minetest.override_item("default:stone" and similar strings (using grep or similar tools).
  3. Your copy of Minetest Game has modified files. This is easy to detect if you cloned it over git, and quite hard if you installed from a zip/tar.gz download.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

You could also try to find out the file name of the texture in-game: //lua minetest.log(dump(minetest.registered_nodes["default:stone"].tiles))

Or maybe your device is ill. Is this what people call a computer virus? Maybe ask a dermatologist for help. /s
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Does the denseores, or ore_deposits mod override the defualt:stone?
If not maybe you can search all the ones that could possible do it (try CTRL-F in a text editor)

Desuor's idea sounds like a good one:
Desour wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 17:09
You could also try to find out the file name of the texture in-game: //lua minetest.log(dump(minetest.registered_nodes["default:stone"].tiles))

MegaMegaMega

by MegaMegaMega » Post

The mystery has been solved! The culprit was terumet's heatline blocks:

terumet.register_heatline_block('default:stone', 'stone')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:cobble', 'cobble')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:stonebrick', 'stonebrick')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:stone_block', 'stoneblock')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:desert_stone', 'desertstone')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:desert_cobble', 'desertcobble')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:desert_stonebrick', 'desertstonebrick')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:wood', 'wood')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:junglewood', 'junglewood')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:pine_wood', 'pinewood')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:acacia_wood', 'acaciawood')
terumet.register_heatline_block('default:aspen_wood', 'aspenwood')
terumet.register_heatline_block('terumet:block_pwood', 'pwood')
"register_heatline_block" has this line in it:

def.tiles[tn] = tile .. '^' .. terumet.tex('blockov_hline')
Attachments
terumet_blockov_hline.png
terumet_blockov_hline.png (238 Bytes) Viewed 793 times

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Aha! That's it, good.
That was kind of odd.