Minetest Is Working The CPU Too Hard These Days

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Minetest Is Working The CPU Too Hard These Days

by Inocudom » Post

At first, I thought this was an issue with Freeminer, but when I tried the latest development version of Minetest, I found out that this game is the originator of my CPU being overworked. Why is this a problem again, just like it was once last year? Is there a massive memory leak that needs to be fixed?

4aiman

Re: Minetest Is Working The CPU Too Hard These Days

by 4aiman » Post

DO visit IRC.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Inocudom wrote:At first, I thought this was an issue with Freeminer, but when I tried the latest development version of Minetest, I found out that this game is the originator of my CPU being overworked. Why is this a problem again, just like it was once last year? Is there a massive memory leak that needs to be fixed?
Apparently Minetest_Game has been creating tons of CPU spikes, but other games such as notetopia, Voxelgarden or BFD don't use lots of CPU for some reason. Nobody knows why.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Inocudom wrote:At first, I thought this was an issue with Freeminer, but when I tried the latest development version of Minetest, I found out that this game is the originator of my CPU being overworked. Why is this a problem again, just like it was once last year? Is there a massive memory leak that needs to be fixed?
What's your FPS limit? Minetest is mostly CPU-dependent for rendering.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I can't see any difference with version 0.4.9-dev and current version, playing with base_game-game.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Calinou wrote:
What's your FPS limit? Minetest is mostly CPU-dependent for rendering.
60 frames-per-second.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Could you possibly give us some real data, not your claims, Inocudom?
And by the "real data" I mean:
- your HW specifications;
- an output of "ps -aux" with and without Minetest running;
- a record of your CPU fan sound with and without Minetest running;
- log of Minetest of the time when you did the measurements with ps and recorded the audio.

One more time I'd like to say that Acer Aspire One handles Minetest just fine.
Please, bring in some evidence or shut the *%!№@#%* up.
Really, you've claimed this for over a quarter having absolutely NOTHING to prove your words.

People here and there grow up concerned about the impression the newbies get of Minetest.
And you ruining not only that but the impression of Freeminer as well.

Almost every your statement can fit 1 of the 3 categories (depending on the message it convey):
1st message: It's so-o-o-o heavy/cold/resource consuming/unstable/bad/hot/inevitable/place-a-thousand-more-reasons-to-feel-empty-and-go-whininig.
2nd message: It was very good/wise/nice/insert-any-word-of-false-appreciacion of <Username> to <insert a deed>.
3rd message: would you please look into <insert a pile of links> to make it work with <insert a pile of links>.

Guess what? The first it the largest one.

Or so it seems. (Which makes the real statistics useless - people make conclusions about what they *think* a thing is, not about the thing itself.)
Of course there are multiple reposts - both asked and not, both asked with irony/sarcasm and w/o it. Those aren't your words, but those of other people.

It's good you're trying to help, but telling that 'YOUR cpu revs' is not helping. How a cpu can make ANY sounds in the first place? Ok, I'm trying to bite you for the usage of a metaphor, so you can ignore the last question.

Bring us some helpful data!

Zeno
GitHub: Zeno-

by Zeno » Post

Inocudom wrote: ...
I don't know of the history regarding this, but thanks for the report. Can you provide some soild data that can be looked at? Also, please include your game settings etc.l.
4aiman wrote: ...
Wow. Maybe (just maybe, and it depends on how you read Inocudom's post) Inocudom could have been less "accusatory" (but I didn't read it that way). But the developers rely on feedback from users -- it's impossible to test every computer configuration. So, I agree that data is required, but surely you could have asked for that without being so inflammatory. Being agressive and defensive is usually not constructive for either party.

I've found that by assuming that the user is correct is most often the best course of action -- they would not raise an issue or voice their opinion if they weren't experiencing something astray or problematic. If it's a problem with their configuration or system specs or something they're doing wrong, then so be it and that will be discovered upon looking into things.

If I got a response like yours I'd never report an issue or concern ever again, and that's not good for anyone. And the thing is there was nothing to get defensive or angry about. If there is a mistake in the source code, then *shrug* it will be fixed. If there was or is no mistake or nothing can be done, then *shrug* again.
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

People need to understand the situation that I am curently living in. You see, I have to be very quiet during the vast majority of the hours of my days, and having my CPU fan scream too much makes that impossible.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 645 Quad-Core Processor and I have 4 gigabytes of RAM. My configuration file for Freeminer/Minetest is as follows:

Code: Select all

name = Inocudom
server_dedicated = false
mg_flags = trees, caves, v6_biome_blend, dungeons, v6_jungles
disable_fire = true
hud_map = true
hud_map_tracking = 1
hud_map_above = false
hud_map_alpha = 150
hud_map_scale = 2
hud_map_width = 300
hud_map_height = 300
fullscreen = true
screenW = 1360
screenH = 768
enable_vbo = true
enable_damage = false
creative_mode = true
address = digitalaudioconcepts.com
anisotropic_filter = true
aux1_descends = false
doubletap_jump = false
enable_bumpmapping = true
enable_parallax_occlusion = true
enable_shaders = true
enable_waving_leaves = true
enable_waving_plants = true
enable_waving_water = true
fast_move = false
fixed_map_seed = 
generate_normalmaps = true
keymap_backward = KEY_KEY_K
keymap_chat = KEY_KEY_H
keymap_cmd = /
keymap_console = KEY_F10
keymap_drop = KEY_KEY_P
keymap_fastmove = KEY_KEY_G
keymap_forward = KEY_KEY_I
keymap_freemove = KEY_KEY_F
keymap_inventory = KEY_KEY_U
keymap_jump = KEY_SPACE
keymap_left = KEY_KEY_J
keymap_noclip = KEY_KEY_X
keymap_print_debug_stacks = KEY_KEY_E
keymap_rangeselect = KEY_KEY_R
keymap_right = KEY_KEY_L
keymap_sneak = KEY_KEY_N
keymap_special1 = KEY_KEY_O
mainmenu_last_selected_world = 1
maintab_LAST = multiplayer
menu_last_game = minetime
mg_name = v5
mip_map = true
preload_item_visuals = false
public_serverlist = true
remote_port = 30000
selected_world_path = /home/derek/.freeminer/worlds/GreatMagicWorld
viewing_range_nodes_min = 155
bilinear_filter = true
free_move = false
noclip = true
sound_volume = 1
trilinear_filter = true
fps_max = 60
wieldview_node_tiles = true
wieldview_update_time = 2
farmesh = 3
main_menu_tab = singleplayer
weather = false
main_menu_last_game_idx = 2
disable_wieldlight = false
3d_armor_update_time = 1
mouse_sensitivity = 0.2
mainmenu_last_selected_TP = 1
texture_path = 
lottarmor_node_tiles = true
lottarmor_update_time = 2
#more_threads = 0
enable_node_highlighting = true
keymap_zoom = KEY_KEY_Y
flowing_sand_disable = 0
classes_default_class = human
random_messages_interval = 120
mg_params = {"layers":[{"name":"default:stone","thickness":20},{"height_max":-1000,"name":"default:stone_with_coal"},{"height_max":-50,"height_min":-3000,"name":"default:water_source"},{"height_max":-50,"height_min":-3000,"name":"default:stone"},{"height_max":50,"height_min":-500,"name":"default:dirt"},{"name":"default:desert_stone","thickness":3},{"height_max":-2000,"name":"default:stone_with_iron"},{"height_max":-1,"name":"default:gravel"},{"height_max":-3000,"name":"default:stone_with_copper"},{"height_max":-1,"name":"default:stone"},{"height_max":-5000,"name":"default:stone_with_gold"},{"height_max":-3000,"name":"default:lava_source"},{"height_max":-7000,"name":"default:stone_with_diamond"},{"height_max":-5000,"name":"default:obsidian"},{"name":"default:stone","thickness":20},{"height_max":-10000,"name":"default:stone_with_mese"},{"height_max":-1000,"height_min":-20000,"name":"default:air","thickness":20},{"height_max":-20000,"name":"default:lava_source","thickness":20},{"height_max":-15000,"name":"default:mese"},{"name":"default:air"}]}
liquid_real = true

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

I'm not angry a bit, Zeno...
And I know that he IS very useful, cause he always amongst the first ones to complain about an hypothetical issue.
In fact that is the very reason why I'm not angry.

But I AM irritated by his wining.
Why do I call it so?
Because complaining while providing no data is just that - wining.

Just look what did he post: His config of minetest and listed his CPU/RAM w/o ANY (!!!) real speed in GHz or type of a memory (DDR-what?).
How does that comply with anything that will prove the ISSUE even exist?
Where's CPU load? Where's noise sound? Where's his VIDEO CARD info???
Do I really have to google what type of memory does his hypothetical MB can hold?

So, excuse me, but I'm NOT offensive/inflaming. He needs help, needs understanding his situation but can't see neither polite nor impolite request. IDK what may stir him to share.

I'm all ears and willingness to help, but it seems to me that he either do not want to provide data or IDK what.
All I can do with his info is to ask to lower the viewing_range_nodes_min.
I can't even suggest him to uncheck the "shaders" tick of the "smooth lighting" one, cause there's NO info on that. He may use a different minetest.conf w/o even knowing it! (If the game supplies one.)

What subgame does make his CPU to revv (sic!) anyway? I'm failing to have the answer since June.

^^^^^^
That's why I am irritated. And this is NOT the first time I tell him what data we need. And once again I see his config :(
But angry? Nope. Not at all.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This is a review of the exact same CPU that I have:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/ ... 45/13.html

My video card is an EVGA NVidia GeForce GT 610 with 2 gigabytes of RAM. You can read more about it below:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2048 ... B00847TPH0

My computer is an Acer Aspire AX1420G-U5832. You can read more about it below:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... U5832-FB-R

The graphics chip that my computer came with is an NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. You can read more about it below:
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gi ... orce%20430

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

4aiman wrote:I'm not angry a bit, Zeno...
[...]
But angry? Nope. Not at all.[/b]
Ok :) I'm not sure if I was reading an old version of your post or what happened, but it seems better now that I re-read it. Weird, but *shrug*

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

paramat wrote:I ordered the Sedatech mini-PC posted on page 2 in 8Gb RAM 1000Gb HDD flavour, i can do without a dedicated graphics card =) If or when it gets here i will probably need help with installing Ubuntu from DVD disk :/ So this thread has been useful i learnt a lot.
How well is that computer running Minetest these days, paramat? If it is running it well, can you post a link to it?

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

Inocodom, I have made some improvements relating to CPU performance for the client and will make a pull request tomorrow.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Zeno wrote:Inocodom, I have made some improvements relating to CPU performance for the client and will make a pull request tomorrow.
Thank you, Zeno. I hope that your pull request is accepted.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Zeno wrote:
4aiman wrote:I'm not angry a bit, Zeno...
[...]
But angry? Nope. Not at all.[/b]
Ok :) I'm not sure if I was reading an old version of your post or what happened, but it seems better now that I re-read it. Weird, but *shrug*
As you can see, I haven't edited that post even once :)
Also, while your commit makes the game faster, any error in get_node will crash the whole MT if it'll get merged. Needs testing, I suppose?

A build? Anyone?

@Inocudom:
If that pull request won't help then I'm still waiting for ps -aux output. I hope it does.
Also I've made a bug report today - you may want to check that in order to see what's the difference between "formspecs are buggy" and the stuff that I've posted.
I've tried to supply examples and all that I've found to be related.

You also may want to check this: Magichet system requirements. Note, that for EVERY dug block there's an entity in Magichet. It's a part of a game. So after a while that CPU of mine has to do LOTS of calculations.

While I admit that CPU fan start to spin a bit more faster, I must say that it's perfectly normal when using IGA on a such low-end HW. But even then, my HDD experience a LOT more "pressure" than the CPU when it comes to logging.
Maybe all you need is a change of a thermo paste/glue and a new cooler?

Zeno

by Zeno » Post

4aiman wrote:Also, while your commit makes the game faster, any error in get_node will crash the whole MT if it'll get merged. Needs testing, I suppose?
That's not true -- it won't crash. The exceptions have simply been replaced with a different mechanism (the error checking is still happening). Before the change the exceptions were being used in place of a condition (I.e. the "errors" are valid and 50% of the time they were being caught and used to excecute a different branch; i.e. they were being used as a conditional). This meant that >95% of the time spent in getNode() was unwinding the exception stack etc etc. If you look at the changes more closely you'll see that the "errors" are still being dealt with :)

Examples for handling player movement
Spoiler
Before changes

After changes

Edit: If you know of a situation where it would crash I'd like to know, of course :)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Oh, now I see...
Maybe it was a bad idea to look at any code when it's 4AM )))))))

How about a speed-up for the SetNode?
FM did smth to speed it up.

Minetestforfun
GitHub: MinetestForFun
IRC: MinetestForFun
In-game: MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Post

I think Minetest needs Multithread support... For the moment a P4 (Pentium4) runs Minetest better than my i5 2500k ...

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest IS multithreaded, it just needs to utilise it more. (which is probably what you meant)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

4aiman wrote:Oh, now I see...

Something like this one?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Krock wrote:
4aiman wrote:Oh, now I see...

Something like this one?
Have you even read the discussion, Krock?
That IS the commit we're talking about...
Which is about getNnode, collisions etc, and not about minetest.set_node().
You may want to look at this if you still think that FM has removed that 'try' wrap ;)

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

So is this issue fixed in later versions? I noticed that my processor is getting some really heavy work on it whenever Minetest is started. Anyhow, what is the status?
Spoiler
Try not to bold things too much (ex: the first line). It seems like yelling. Instead, try hitting Enter once or twice. It emphasizes that one line.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

I have tried a few versions of Minetest and am having the same issue. I have a quad core processor and 6 gigs of ram. I am running Ubuntu Gnome 14.10. I have the cpu ram and temp stats in the top bar. Without minetest running and doing outer things such as watching videos or surfing the web or even using Gimp the cpu seems fine and the ram andd temp stays low. When I play Minetest it starts out fine but gradually increases until the ram is at 95 - 100%. The cpu doesn't go too high but the temp increases by 50%. The frame rate drops to 3 - 5 fps.
I tried different video drivers but no change. I disabled all apps and features I could and no change.
Once I shut down Minetest the ram drops down to around 12 - 14 %. When I start Minetest up again it gradually goes up again.
Hope this helps. If you need more info let me know.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest IS multithreaded, it just needs to utilise it more. (which is probably what you meant)
Only map generation can be (partially) multi-threaded, not mods, not stuff like entity management. Increasing num_emerge_threads may cause issues with some caves being cut out early, also concurrency often happens so a lot of processing power is lost.