Direct 3D 9.0 Crash !!!POSSIBLE FIX!!!

TheMCPenguin
In-game: TheMCPenguin

Direct 3D 9.0 Crash !!!POSSIBLE FIX!!!

by TheMCPenguin » Post

Hi! I recently found something with a mod I was using. When using the Direct3D9 renderer, you tend to get an annoying crash when looking up. If you can't use OpenGL because of a bad computer, like me, the you have to use Direct, yes? However, the Moonrealm mod changes that. I was using it earlier, and I found that I could look up! No crash! What's more, the Moonrealm mod changes the sky! I believe that the crash is caused by the renderer failing to load a complicated sky. So, my idea is thus: Minetest developers, please add a "Beautiful skies" selector to the settings. Therefore, if you are using Direct, then you can turn it off, and see the tops of your buildings in their full glory!

Sorry about the long topic, I just had to say that.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Direct 3D 9.0 Crash !!!POSSIBLE FIX!!!

by Krock » Post

TheMCPenguin wrote:caused by the renderer failing to load a complicated sky.
This means you have a weak graphics card or a bad driver.
Did you check for a newer graphics driver yet? Updating it might solve your problems.

You used Direct3D because it runs on almost every card, but this doesn't directly mean it's the better solution.

PS: Did you check out Direct3D 8.0 yet, if existing in your client?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

TheMCPenguin

by TheMCPenguin » Post

OK... firstly, no. I havn't checked Direct3D 8.0. And if it needs to be installed directly to computer, then forget it. I'm using a family shared computer, so if I tamper with the software too much, my dad will KILL me! (Not literally, of course! XD)

Secondly, Graphics Drivers cost money that I don't currently have. And again, if I change too much on the computer, or even try to... well; you know...

Lastly, because it runs on almost any card, I was posting that topic for anyone like me with a shoddy driver, that wants to see the sky.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Graphics drivers should never cost money, they are typically avaialable for download from the vendor website free of charge... What graphics card are you currently using ?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Graphics drivers should never cost money, they are typically avaialable for download from the vendor website free of charge... What graphics card are you currently using ?
I'll take Intel Intergrated for $500, TenPlus.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Lol... my old laptop has Intel 915 integrated gfx and minetest works fine, although I AM using linux cause windows is a memory hog... If it supports OpenGL try switching to that instead of DirectX...

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Penguin, I find it hard to believe that you have a card that does directX 9.0 but not openGL. It is most likely a driver problem. Post back your system configuration and we can try to help you out. We'll need your operating system (Windows, ubuntu, mac, etc), your graphics card, and the minetest version you are running. Graphic driver updates don't cost anything, but they cannot be installed without admin privileges.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

TheMCPenguin

by TheMCPenguin » Post

hoodedice wrote:Penguin, I find it hard to believe that you have a card that does directX 9.0 but not openGL. It is most likely a driver problem. Post back your system configuration and we can try to help you out. We'll need your operating system (Windows, ubuntu, mac, etc), your graphics card, and the minetest version you are running. Graphic driver updates don't cost anything, but they cannot be installed without admin privileges.
Irrlicht log: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.1
Irrlicht log: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Irrlicht log: Using renderer: Direct3D 9.0
Irrlicht log: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller ialmrnt5.dll 6.14.10.4396
Irrlicht log: Currently available Video Memory (kB): 65536

That's what I get from the debug file. As a note, I can use OpenGL, but it lags too much to play.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

TheMCPenguin wrote:Irrlicht log: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller ialmrnt5.dll 6.14.10.4396
Irrlicht log: Currently available Video Memory (kB): 65536
That's a very low-end integrated chip. Get a graphics card if possible or switch to another renderer.
Perhaps it's the same "memory hog" as 10+1 said.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

The memory hog problem can indeed be fixed by switching to a linux distro, like lubuntu. However, that does not fix the cause - an underperforming graphics unit. You'll have to upgrade your PC a bit to play this game with OpenGL, the way it is meant to be played(tm)
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

ThePenguinTube
In-game: ThePenguinTube

by ThePenguinTube » Post

OK, yeah, I'm back. (I forgot my password to my Gmail, soo... New login!) I got a new computer of my own, and got a new graphics card for it. Upgraded the CRAP out of this thing! XD And, works perfectly! Thanks for the help, everyone!
Hello there... You read this... Umm... *Walks away.*