troubleshooting request linux ubuntu [solved]

rareherodotcom

troubleshooting request linux ubuntu [solved]

by rareherodotcom » Post

Question about install and not being able to get the tutorial or any other game/mod to work.
I installed minetest from terminal

Code: Select all

apt-get install minetest
I followed the instructions for installing the tutorial here: http://wiki.minetest.net/Games/Tutorial
but I get this error:
ERROR: /home/USER/.minetest/games/tutorials/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set local animation' (a nil value)
I checked the minetest forum and subreddit but did not find anything obviously relevant. Can you help and point me in a direction where I can figure this out? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rareherodotcom on Sun Apr 17, 2016 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: troubleshooting request linux ubuntu

by TumeniNodes » Post

The install from the repos is an old build, so you'll want to update that first, if you have not already.
You need to add the minetest ppa to your software sources
The ppa isas follows: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/minetestdevs/stable/ubuntu trusty main
After you add that, refresh your software manager and there will be an update "minetest 0.4.13"

Once you have done that, select show hidden files in your file browser and look for .minetest
open that folder and create a new folder and name it games, if it is not already there, although looks as though it is
unpack the tutorial file into that folder and when you start minetest again, you should see the blue graduation cap button in the lower left corner..., click it n go

I think the problem is that the subgame is not compatible with the current build in any Linux distro repos and I wish they would all update them. When I installed minetest from my repo it was version 4.9
A Wonderful World

rareherodotcom

by rareherodotcom » Post

I'm unclear on this:
TumeniNodes wrote:You need to add the minetest ppa to your software sources
The ppa isas follows: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/minetestdevs/stable/ubuntu trusty main
After you add that, refresh your software manager and there will be an update "minetest 0.4.13"

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

The version of Minetest included in Ubuntu's repositories is too old. You have two choices if you want to stay up-to-date:
  • Use a PPA as mentioned by TumeniNodes,
  • or compile Minetest from sources. Here's a script for doing it on Debian/Ubuntu: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3837 (use the non-portable one, unless you need to use the portable version)

rareherodotcom

by rareherodotcom » Post

Calinou wrote:
  • or compile Minetest from sources. Here's a script for doing it on Debian/Ubuntu: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3837 (use the non-portable one, unless you need to use the portable version)
Seems to have done the trick. Thank you.