Server Authority (Privs) Bug

UnifiedMinds

Server Authority (Privs) Bug

by UnifiedMinds » Post

I set up a fake server to connect to for single player so that I can get the best performance possible. I then used the loop-back address (127.0.0.1) to connect to myself, bypassing all networking. I have two user names: one is the admin and the other is my player. The goal is to not have access to full privileges while playing.

The bug is that my player user accidentally has full privs when logging in after the admin was logged in. I did nothing at all to set privs on either user. I even checked the auth file to find that the appropriate privs were still set in the file (my player user still had just basic/default). This is apparently a bug and is likely related to the IP address of the user.

EDIT: I remembered that I've also experienced this in reverse, with the admin suddenly having basic/default privs.
EDIT 2: The server just now somehow switched the admins between the two users. O.O
EDIT 3: I believe that the bug is related to exiting the server between logins. (I exit by simply closing the window.)
EDIT 4: Switching the player to admin apparently happens when updating the game's settings. The current login name gets input, regardless of whether I was even changing that.
Last edited by UnifiedMinds on Thu Sep 22, 2016 13:41, edited 2 times in total.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

Re: Server Authority (Privs) Bug

by BrandonReese » Post

Look at minetest.conf and whatever player the 'name' setting is set to will have irrevocable full privs. That is most likely what is happening.

You can setup a separate config to use when you launch your server or when you are in game and you have full privs type /set name f239023fj2309jf2309j23f just make sure you're not logged in as f239023fj2309jf2309j23f.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Look at minetest.conf and whatever player the 'name' setting is set to will have irrevocable full privs. That is most likely what is happening.

You can setup a separate config to use when you launch your server or when you are in game and you have full privs type /set name f239023fj2309jf2309j23f just make sure you're not logged in as f239023fj2309jf2309j23f.
My setting for the admin was correct, before, yet I had this same problem. Changing the admin is a new problem. I have reset everything, again, and am able to play.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Post

BrandonReese wrote:Look at minetest.conf and whatever player the 'name' setting is set to will have irrevocable full privs. That is most likely what is happening.

Now that I have more experience with this, I think that you are right. The problem is likely that the game sets the last user name as the admin when I exit. How annoying.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

It is really annoying. Maybe we should suggest that the client and the server not use the same config variable. Maybe they should add 'admin_name' for server use and then the client can still use 'name' for the last user that used the client.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Post

BrandonReese wrote:It is really annoying. Maybe we should suggest that the client and the server not use the same config variable. Maybe they should add 'admin_name' for server use and then the client can still use 'name' for the last user that used the client.
I totally agree with your concept.

zing269

by zing269 » Post

Have you tried running the server from a different directory than the client?

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Post

zing269 wrote:Have you tried running the server from a different directory than the client?
Do you mean two different Minetest installs? I guess I didn't realize that was possible.