controls freezing on BSD systems

stormchaser3000
GitHub: stormchaser3000

controls freezing on BSD systems

by stormchaser3000 » Post

hi i appear to have an issue with the controls freezing after a few seconds of gameplay. this only seems to happen to me when using BSD operating systems such as macOS and FreeBSD i would give some debug info if i knew where to look for it but as it is i don't have anything in terms of debug information :(

[EDIT] this only happens on the latest 0.4.15-dev but not the stable version

Morn76

Re: controls freezing on BSD systems

by Morn76 » Post

Make sure to compile MT without -ffast-math (set in src/CMakeLists.txt): https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4274

I thought this bug was fixed on FreeBSD/macOS now.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

The game freezed second time. Just in the middle of gameplay computer suspended. And nothing helps: Escape, Alt+F4, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+F[1-7] to switch to another console, at least in order to make soft reboot. Nothing helps. Keyboard and mouse do not respond. Only hard reset with button.

Interesting that music keep playing in my headphones (I am listening music from youtube).

P.S. Minetest 0.4.14 from Manjaro repo.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

If the whole computer freezes, it's probably an issue with the graphics card or driver. I use AMD Catalyst, which seems pretty stable, but e.g. the Intel driver seems to give some people problems. So maybe try a different driver if there is one for your card?

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Morn76 wrote:If the whole computer freezes, it's probably an issue with the graphics card or driver. I use AMD Catalyst, which seems pretty stable, but e.g. the Intel driver seems to give some people problems. So maybe try a different driver if there is one for your card?
Then why does it happen after hours of playing? Not right after starting MT?
Memory consumption?

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Sergey wrote:
Morn76 wrote:If the whole computer freezes, it's probably an issue with the graphics card or driver. I use AMD Catalyst, which seems pretty stable, but e.g. the Intel driver seems to give some people problems. So maybe try a different driver if there is one for your card?
Then why does it happen after hours of playing? Not right after starting MT?
Memory consumption?
I can only talk about KDE and Catalyst here, but the crashes/freezes I've seen are sometimes related to switching to/from fullscreen (think playing a YouTube video in the browser), sites that use WebGL (like Google Maps in 3-D mode), or just desktop compositing in general (which KDE uses for its pretty effects). It looks like either the graphics hardware or the driver occasionally gets into a bad state from which it cannot recover. The rest of the system is fine, e.g. audio from a browser tab keeps playing.

So it doesn't have to be MT alone in your case; it might be a combination of something that e.g. your browser or desktop environment do with 3-D acceleration at the same time. E.g., with the open source Radeon driver, I would get all kind of weird screen artifacts in KDE when I ran Google Maps and MC side by side.

So I think disabling WebGL in browsers and running a simple desktop or window manager without OpenGL compositing might help if a different driver is not possible.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

1) I play in maximized window, not fullscreen but in window (although maximized) in order to switch to something else and do stuff in parallel (for example, reading MT wiki or forum, or play music in background)

2) I have NVidia videocard and open source video driver nouveau.

3) I don't even have DE. I have WM. I know that I previouly said I like everything working out of the box. So distro with ready DE would be great for me, but WM stayed from times I used ArchLinux. My WM is Openbox. It's possible with Manjaro Minimal Net Edition.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Sergey wrote:1) I play in maximized window, not fullscreen but in window (although maximized) in order to switch to something else and do stuff in parallel (for example, reading MT wiki or forum, or play music in background)

2) I have NVidia videocard and open source video driver nouveau.

3) I don't even have DE. I have WM. I know that I previouly said I like everything working out of the box. So distro with ready DE would be great for me, but WM stayed from times I used ArchLinux. My WM is Openbox. It's possible with Manjaro Minimal Net Edition.
Not running a browser in the background might help (it could have caused the freezing), but if it doesn't, I would try the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

My FPS sometimes is 8. How to increase it? I don't want to view slideshow.
At that moment you'd better to exit from MT right now, or complete system freeze will overtake you.