Critical bug in builtin authentication handler

red-001
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

Re: Critical bug in builtin authentication handler

by red-001 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Fixerol wrote:Minetest is a project developed and run by volunteers in their mostly free time, any useful help will be appreciated, but don't expect immediate response
*sigh* volunteers blah blah, free time yadda yadda unpaid. Every time the same fucking discussion. YES. They volunteered for developing Minetest. So, go on, do what you volunteered for and develop Minetest.

I know how a lot of free software is made. I’m in the FLOSS scene since the early 2000s. If I didn’t care about the project I could easily say “yeah, whatevs, fuck it” and search for another project. But since I care I don’t.
Fixerol wrote:but don't expect immediate response
There are issues open dating back to 2011. Even if Minetest would be a one-man show this couldn’t be worse. Sorry, but no. Either reasonably close an issue or fix it! But don’t leave them open for half a dozen of years.
so how about you fix some of the issues then and help with code review for PR's.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

BTW, I've looked into my reported engine bugs, and 65% of them were resolved, including some major ones. It is just sporadic development, sometimes it is active, sometimes it is not. Complaining can help, but not always.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:You've been involved with OSS for 17 years and you continue to complain about the inaction of others?
This is just how I am. I always give and demand 100% for anything. If I do something voluntarily I give 100% and expect others to do the same. It makes me angry and physically sick if poeple don't be like that or repeat over and over again that it is voluntarily and thus they can do whatever they want. I just can't stand people not giving 100% in whatever they do.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
sofar wrote:You've been involved with OSS for 17 years and you continue to complain about the inaction of others?
This is just how I am. I always give and demand 100% for anything. If I do something voluntarily I give 100% and expect others to do the same. It makes me angry and physically sick if poeple don't be like that or repeat over and over again that it is voluntarily and thus they can do whatever they want. I just can't stand people not giving 100% in whatever they do.

Stop letting online people make you 'physically sick'. If they do, you should probably take a step back. Unless it's 4chan, it's expected there.

Also, people have lives outside of this small project. Asking for 100% from a person is unreasonable.
Fixerol wrote:BTW, I've looked into my reported engine bugs, and 65% of them were resolved, including some major ones. It is just sporadic development, sometimes it is active, sometimes it is not. Complaining can help, but not always.
Fixer fixes bugs (at least indirectly)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Fixerol wrote:BTW, I've looked into my reported engine bugs, and 65% of them were resolved, including some major ones. It is just sporadic development, sometimes it is active, sometimes it is not. Complaining can help, but not always.
Not only do you point out bugs, you take an enormous amount of time to try out patches, report improvement or deterioration, work with developers on getting attention to issues in a constructive and positive way.

I think the biggest difference is that you focus on issues that can or really must be solved, whereas LinuxDirk seems to perceive every problem in that way. No wonder I'm a huge fan of Fixer and wish he keeps doing this for many more years to come.

You do not get enough recognition, Fixer!

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Stop letting online people make you 'physically sick'.
The general mindset or personality type is nothing you could change as you like.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:I just can't stand people not giving 100% in whatever they do.
This is a blatant admission that you can't stand anyone that doesn't live up to your expectations.

I hope, I really hope, that you never have kids. You really need some perspective.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

Well, 100% for me would be to abandon all other interests, work less hours etc to work on minetest instead. Of course it's possible, but it's ridiculous to demand that from anybody.

Also where are your PRs?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Byakuren wrote:Also where are your PRs?
If I'd knew C++ to an extend that would allow me to debug and fix code written by others I'd do pull requests all the time. But since I don't know it I don't do that.

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Also where are your PRs?
If I'd knew C++ to an extend that would allow me to debug and fix code written by others I'd do pull requests all the time. But since I don't know it I don't do that.
If you were giving 100% you would learn more C++ so you could contribute to Minetest.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Byakuren wrote:If you were giving 100% you would learn more C++ so you could contribute to Minetest.
If I would learn C++ an all, then yes. I don’t. So …

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Post

I want to add that even if I think that it's ridiculous to demand 100% from people working on Minetest for free, if the core devs are too inactive then maybe the development process should be restructured to allow faster processing of PRs, at least when the PR owners are active enough to respond to requests for fixes.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Quite a lot of the earlier discussion in this thread seems to follow from some misunderstandings. Not everyone who can identify and fix a bug in the code may also know everything about git(hub) already. I do remember when I did my first PR. It was something very tiny, and I'd have been a lot happier back then if someone else would have added those one or two lines for me. Luckily, people where patient, and VanessaE explained a lot.

The issue for the problem discovered by sorcerykid seems to be closed now. That's probably the worst solution for all involved :-( Many servers got slower over time - without anyone having an explanation. Joining Android users where dreaded on many servers because their clients where suspected of causing lag. AFAIK something was done about the storing of the playerfiles as such at least. That was a similar problem for server owners.

The description of socerykids solution to the problem doesn't seem to be the most clean and definite one to me. It sounds more like a good hotfix that may help servers and their players *right now* at very little cost (nobody likes lag!). In the long run, it might be a much better solution to use a database. Those are made for storing and modifying data and can handle frequent updates of said data very very well. If the player files can already be stored that way (didn't check lately but heared that was included?), then it might be a good idea to handle the authentication data that way as well. Singleplayer worlds and very small servers can stick to the old method.

As with anything in open source, somebody's got to do it...else it won't get done. The only way is to remind people that the problem still exists and to hope for someone to find time and energy to work on it - or just do it yourshelf. So please don't give up!
A list of my mods can be found here.