Nodes can not be placed on slabs

Sergey

Nodes can not be placed on slabs

by Sergey » Post

Wooden plank and corresponding wooden slab nearby.
Sand can not be placed on slab.

Attachments
screenshot_20170303_204122.png
screenshot_20170303_204122.png (911.36 KiB) Viewed 787 times

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Objects can not be placed on slabs

by twoelk » Post

that is how voxel games work.
one node in one position at a time.
the slab is occupying the whole 1*1m node with the upper half being air.
You are requesting for the sand to occupy the same positition as it cannot be half in the lower and half in the upper node. The node grid the map information is stored in is 1*1m, that is hardcoded into the engine.

This is the same reason why placing torches, papyrus or slabs underwater displaces a complete cube of water.
This is simply how most voxelbased games work.

Sergey

Re: Objects can not be placed on slabs

by Sergey » Post

twoelk wrote:that is how voxel games work.
one node in one position at a time.
the slab is occupying the whole 1*1m node with the upper half being air.
You are requesting for the sand to occupy the same positition as it cannot be half in the lower and half in the upper node. The node grid the map information is stored in is 1*1m, that is hardcoded into the engine.

This is the same reason why placing torches, papyrus or slabs underwater displaces a complete cube of water.
This is simply how most voxelbased games work.
But nevertheless the player "feels" the half of cube. Being on slab, player is half meter higher, not 1 meter higher.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Nodes can not be placed on slabs

by Wuzzy » Post

Your claim is not entirely true. You can actually place a slab on another slab (as long they are equal) to form a full block.
For everything else, this doesn't work as you want to. Technicaly, you CAN place blocks on top of the slab, but only on the voxel above the slab's voxel. Those are the rules.

But what do you want? How do you suggest to “fix” this?
Do you want the sand block to be half inside the voxel occupied by the wooden slab, and half in the voxel above it? Sorry, this would be breaking THE core rule of all voxel games like Minetest Game: Only one “thing” per voxel. This rule is very crucial to the gameplay. It's not going to changed.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

comboblock

stack slabs

I would recommend the first mod, pithy's

edit: woops, sorry the link for pithy's comboblocks is here
A Wonderful World

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

"Nodes can not be placed on slabs"

That awkward moment when slabs are nodes.

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

I was recently creating a 'realistic' model of a local building in Minetest and had a similar issue trying to duplicate a brick and cement pattern. If you are looking for a cosmetic effect and you'll use it for a large number of blocks, create a custom block with the texture representing the 'half slab half node. It isn't a perfect solution, and I wouldn't make a custom block for single use, but when using hundreds of '2/3 brick 1/3 cement blocks, creating a custom block works great for me. I have a 'mod' that's really nothing more than a generic container for a half dozen or so custom blocks I had to create. I hope this helps. (BTW - isn't the player character able to stand on a slap and be in 'two nodes' at once because it is an 'entity' or something like that?)
everything can be a learning experience...

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Do you want the sand block to be half inside the voxel occupied by the wooden slab, and half in the voxel above it?
Yes.

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

sorcerykid wrote:"Nodes can not be placed on slabs"

That awkward moment when slabs are nodes.
That is awkward indeed. I see air. I see emptiness. Why should I think of it as something solid? I see it and understand that it could be occupied with something I place there.
Slab is optical illusion.

burli

by burli » Post

Even a slab is a full node and you can't place nodes on "half" positions

Sergey

by Sergey » Post

burli wrote:Even a slab is a full node and you can't place nodes on "half" positions
Why can player be on "half" positions?

Last edited by Sergey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

burli

by burli » Post

Because players aren't nodes. Would look a bit odd if a player "jumps" from node position to node position

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

A player is an object not a node.

Think of 3D voxel engines like the old gaming consoles that used 2D tiles and sprites. You could not position tiles outside of the grid. Only sprites could be moved independently.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

so there you go..., make a 1+1/2 object... which pretends to be a node ; )

If you use pithy's comboblocks, you can use the two slabs combo you want, then place a full node of the top slab atop it... (solved). Thank you for shopping with us, have a nice day :D
A Wonderful World

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

My moresnow mod cheats a bit in that regard and manages to place snow on slabs and stairs etc. But it's cheating - you can't put anything on top of the snow (because that's where the snow block really rests).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Sokomine wrote:My moresnow mod cheats a bit in that regard and manages to place snow on slabs and stairs etc. But it's cheating - you can't put anything on top of the snow (because that's where the snow block really rests).
Haha I do the same with the seat covers for the chairs in my xFurniture mod. You place the chair and then you place the seat cover on top of the chair and because the nodebox defines it it looks like the seat cover is more or less one node lower that it actually is ...

Hooray for cheating with nodeboxes! :D
Last edited by Linuxdirk on Thu Apr 06, 2017 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:A player is an object not a node.

Think of 3D voxel engines like the old gaming consoles that used 2D tiles and sprites. You could not position tiles outside of the grid. Only sprites could be moved independently.

I see it game is SuperMario, only it is very old

Boruch

by Boruch » Post

Wuzzy wrote:You can actually place a slab on another slab (as long they are equal) to form a full block.
How does one do that? With mintest v0.4.17, I've tried using both Vanessa's default dreambuilder modpack, and using the 'stackslabs' mod, and using the 'comboblock' mod. The actions I tried were to directly place 8/16 slabs, to directly right click, to use the circular saw, and to use the workbench with a bunch of recipe guesses.

Note: The init.lua code for the comboblock mod currently crashes. I hacked it in order to get the mod to load, and if I can get the mod to actually work, I'll be happy to post the update here, and to pithydon's github repository. However, Wuzzy seems to be saying in the quote that one can perform this action now with the native default setup, so if that's right then the mod is unnecessary ...

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 04:54, edited 2 times in total.

Boruch

by Boruch » Post

Chiantos wrote:Not Problem ... :D
That's not a useful or helpful response - How does one do that?

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

Boruch

by Boruch » Post

Chiantos wrote:... I'm working on that ...
Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe Wuzzy will login and elaborate what he meant.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Boruch wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:You can actually place a slab on another slab (as long they are equal) to form a full block.
How does one do that? With mintest v0.4.17, I've tried using both Vanessa's default dreambuilder modpack, and using the 'stackslabs' mod, and using the 'comboblock' mod. The actions I tried were to directly place 8/16 slabs, to directly right click, to use the circular saw, and to use the workbench with a bunch of recipe guesses.

Note: The init.lua code for the comboblock mod currently crashes. I hacked it in order to get the mod to load, and if I can get the mod to actually work, I'll be happy to post the update here, and to pithydon's github repository. However, Wuzzy seems to be saying in the quote that one can perform this action now with the native default setup, so if that's right then the mod is unnecessary ...
I believe he means that in default, two slabs of the same type (for example; two cobblestone slabs, or two plank slabs of the same type)can be placed on the same block, two slabs of different types(for example; a cobblestone slab and a plank slab) cannot be placed on the same block.
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

stackslabs has limitations. The code was quickly produced (and quite sloppily) to show how one can us hacky work arounds for a limited slab placement as well as with other objects, such as a way to set a custom flower pot or a glass on a slab, using that code and placement of the node, as an answer to someone who was asking if it is possible.

Pithy did comboblock as another form of workaround, that one is targeted directly to slabs.

And yes, two slabs of the same material, when placed atop on another, forms a full node
A Wonderful World

Boruch

by Boruch » Post

Thanks everyone for the feedback.