RPi Crashes When Running MineClone 2

nightengale

RPi Crashes When Running MineClone 2

by nightengale » Post

I've got Minetest 0.15 running on my Raspberry Pi and its been working great. Minetest Game and Minetest TNG, and a number of maps appear to be running great. When I try to run Mineclone 2 however, the system bogs down and eventually crashes. I've tried messing with the system's memory split, and disabling shaders, but neither option has made a difference. Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas, or maybe the Pi just isn't beefy enough for MC2? I noticed the game package for it is significantly larger than others I've downloaded.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has!

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: RPi Crashes When Running MineClone 2

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

How did you get MineTest working on your Raspberry Pi?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: RPi Crashes When Running MineClone 2

by Sokomine » Post

AFAIK Raspberry Pi users in the past used stripped-down versions of minetest_game, sometimes extended with some carefully selected mods. It might also help to restrict write operations to the (slow) SD card. I havn't played with MC2 yet but from what I read it tries to emulate MC - complete with mobs. Those tend to be more expensive CPU-wise. Maybe you ought to ask in the MC2 thread which mods could be deactivated in order to get it to run on the Pi.

From your description it sounds as if you're actually playing on the Pi (running the client?). This seems to be possible only through recent updates in the driver the Pi comes with. Running a server is less problematic. How well does it work for you?
A list of my mods can be found here.