How to smooth out mapgen v7?

cy

How to smooth out mapgen v7?

by cy » Post

Even disabling "ridges" (aka rivers), there's still jarring and dangerously steep hills all over the map in v7 with default settings. I don't mind going to y=200, over 200 nodes, but doing in 50 gives these sheer cliffs that are a pain to climb, and deadly to fall from. how can I alter my map_meta.txt to have smoother grades, and less (or more infrequent) cliff faces? It's just not fun to explore on a default v7 map.

Is it persistence? But persistence=0.? and which of the 18 different noise parameters do I change? mgv7_np_mountain? seems to have no effect!

cy

Re: How to smooth out mapgen v7?

by cy » Post

this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. It isn't just a fluke either, it just keeps going like this. This isn't floatlands!

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

answer: use valley mapgen
or: check some other topics to get info on mgv7 parameters
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

cy wrote:Even disabling "ridges" (aka rivers), there's still jarring and dangerously steep hills all over the map in v7 with default settings. I don't mind going to y=200, over 200 nodes, but doing in 50 gives these sheer cliffs that are a pain to climb, and deadly to fall from. how can I alter my map_meta.txt to have smoother grades, and less (or more infrequent) cliff faces? It's just not fun to explore on a default v7 map.

Is it persistence? But persistence=0.? and which of the 18 different noise parameters do I change? mgv7_np_mountain? seems to have no effect!
Hi cy,
Sorry so late to answer I never saw this post.
You can get the information you are looking for in this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272
A Wonderful World

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

If you want smoother terrain with mapgen v7, then take a look at this thread. These are the settings that I use for my worlds:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16792

The only noise parameter you should need to adjust is "scale" of mgv7_np_height_select. For vast plains and gentle beaches keep it at 1. To add rolling hills and sharp plateaus 2 will suffice. Anything above 3 will introduce rugged mountains and deep ravines. The screencaps all depict a scale of 6. As you can see there is a remarkable degree of realism and variety possible across a range of settings.

PS. For proper results, be sure to disable mountains by setting "nomountains" in mgv7_spflags.