Minetest setting warnings

Modern Hippie

Minetest setting warnings

by Modern Hippie » Post

Heyhoo,

in the last few days and weeks I got following warning in the server logs:

Code: Select all

2017-06-30 14:09:46: WARNING[Server]: WARNING: minetest.setting_* functions are deprecated.  Use methods on the minetest.settings object.
What does this mean and what to do to fix them?

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Greetings minehippie
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

Re: Minetest setting warnings

by BBmine » Post

Does it crash your server, or is it just there?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

If it's not your mod, ignore it

If it's your mod fix it by replacing minetest.setting_get with minetest.settings:get() etc
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Post

BBmine wrote:Does it crash your server, or is it just there?
It's just there.
rubenwardy wrote:If it's not your mod, ignore it

If it's your mod fix it by replacing minetest.setting_get with minetest.settings:get() etc
It's not a mod from me. But I will try to replace it. I can't really ignore it, cause it spams hundreds and thousands lines in the log.

Thanks anyways, I will try this out :)
No longer active with this account! Please PM me on my new account "Wolfshippie"!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

I fixed that at least partly in mg_villages - resulting in the mod no longer working with older versions :-(. And the messages from other mods still scroll happily and hide the real debug messages I'm after. As an extra bonus, the warnings don't give a hint about mod and line that caused the warning in the first place. Was the code secretly invaded by the offtopic posters? :/
A list of my mods can be found here.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Until I fixed a kabillion lines of all the mods on HOMETOWN, our log files were way over a gig a day.
But until I took the time to fix them, I put:

deprecated_lua_api_handling = legacy
In the minetest.conf. It completely silenced them without having to fix.

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Until I fixed a kabillion lines of all the mods on HOMETOWN, our log files were way over a gig a day.
But until I took the time to fix them, I put:

In the minetest.conf. It completely silenced them without having to fix.
You mean... this would also do it? Without fixing
a kabillion lines of all the mods
? Or should I better do both?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

As a user or server operator you ought to be fine with disabling those warnings. As a mod developer...there's a reason for these warnings I guess. Just wish they'd be less spammy and more specific.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Modern Hippie

by Modern Hippie » Post

ExeterDad wrote:

It worked. Thanks for the help! :)

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

So my map is having serious loading issues. I mean - it seems like huge chunks will delay in loading several seconds (as long as 10-15). This obviously destroys game play. I went into settings and turned OFF legacy and went to LOG, hoping to find out why...
2017-08-31 06:21:24: WARNING[Server]: WARNING: minetest.setting_* functions are deprecated. Use methods on the minetest.settings object.
2017-08-31 06:21:24: WARNING[Server]: The use of vel is deprecated. Use velocity instead
2017-08-31 06:21:24: WARNING[Server]: The use of acc is deprecated. Use acceleration instead
2017-08-31 06:21:24: WARNING[Server]: The use of vel is deprecated. Use velocity instead
2017-08-31 06:21:24: WARNING[Server]: The use of acc is deprecated. Use acceleration instead
WARNING[Server]: core.env:[...] is deprecated and should be replaced with core.[...]
So how do I determine where the error is? When I turn off all mods the world runs much better. I am adding one mod at a time to see what happens, but is there a better way to identify the issues?

BTW - I work with minetest in a closed network and could careless about backwards compatibility older versions as I am in complete control of the client sides.
everything can be a learning experience...

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

Sokomine wrote:I fixed that at least partly in mg_villages - resulting in the mod no longer working with older versions :-(. And the messages from other mods still scroll happily and hide the real debug messages I'm after. As an extra bonus, the warnings don't give a hint about mod and line that caused the warning in the first place. Was the code secretly invaded by the offtopic posters? :/
I agree completely - would it really be so hard to identify the mod that caused the warning/error/whatnot? Obviously, this is used to identify missing mod dependencies, so why not point the finger at the mod causing warnings/errors as well? Would definitely make things easier for developers/testers.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

christoferlevich wrote:So my map is having serious loading issues. I mean - it seems like huge chunks will delay in loading several seconds (as long as 10-15). This obviously destroys game play. I went into settings and turned OFF legacy and went to LOG, hoping to find out why...
Deprecated Lua code will not cause your issue, the messages are harmless and the code will still run correclty, it's likely caused by a mod. Do you mean the speed of generating new areas of world, or speed of loading pre-existing areas of world? What mods are you using?

christoferlevich

Well, I had several dozen it seems. I turned them ALL off and started adding one by one - eliminating at least half. In addition, I trimmed down my personal hacks to bare minimums (much lower resolutions). I do look forward to a day when things progress to where we can have much larger textures... but today is apparently not yet that day. :)

I was having trouble with pre-existing areas.

Never the less - I am expecting the current setup to work wonderfully. I think a few things that might help would be turning off worldedit when running the server... turning off unified inventory (does it hurt speed having to load so much? It can lag in those screens... I'd rather do without for better gameplay).

I stopped using adv trains... technic, a few mobs (I wish there was an "official mob' to work with, as it seems confusing to someone searching like myself). I dropped most of home decor as well, keeping only the things I know the kids were looking to use again.

I am currently hoping the vehicles mod holds but last year the helicopter would crash the server... but with so many mods dropped, maybe it will work out? I've tried to reduce the number of mobs spawned at once... limited animated nodes (dropped bees... plasma node thing?... even blinky plants can be an issue if over used.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

christoferlevich wrote:I stopped using adv trains... technic, a few mobs (I wish there was an "official mob' to work with, as it seems confusing to someone searching like myself). I dropped most of home decor as well, keeping only the things I know the kids were looking to use again.
Those are the three most complex and complicated mods.

christoferlevich

Linuxdirk wrote:
christoferlevich wrote:I stopped using adv trains... technic, a few mobs (I wish there was an "official mob' to work with, as it seems confusing to someone searching like myself). I dropped most of home decor as well, keeping only the things I know the kids were looking to use again.
Those are the three most complex and complicated mods.
I am sad to report that in the process of re-adding mods, 'areas' is causing a lot of the redraw delay... at least 'areas' combined with my motley crew of mods... still working things around, but I am now wondering what might I do for protection?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: WARNING: minetest.setting_* functions are deprecated

by Festus1965 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:If it's not your mod, ignore it

or maybe can be the one before after loaded ?

[Biome Lib] Loaded
... same ...
2018-01-18 13:09:43: WARNING[Main]: Field "tile_images": Deprecated; new name is "tiles".
... x times until
[OK] Mesecons
This issue ("tile_images" sea at WARNING"tile_images" Deprecated "tiles") is Solved, so I can start to look for the on in this Thread (minetest.setting_*). I learn ... and get though
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

How do you disable these messages? I'm playing Minetest on Android and the warnings are really annoying.
I test mines.