Land generation bug

voxelproof

Land generation bug

by voxelproof » Post

I suppose I've encountered a bug - in valleys mapgen I've found a corrupted mountain with a layer of sandstone not attached to underlaying stone core.
Attachments
Mapgen valleys. It doesn't look like an effect of cave generation
Mapgen valleys. It doesn't look like an effect of cave generation
screenshot_20170828_214025.png (786.18 KiB) Viewed 357 times
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Land generation bug

by paramat » Post

Are you using any mods? If so, which?

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

In the world this shot was taken of there're no mods activated (as I can see in "enable" menu, I understand that the 'subgame mods' are default).

I've found yet another bug in the same world - a dungeon hanging over the shoreline (see attachment 1).
There're also sometimes issues with trees spawning in the air. I don't know the source but I'm almost sure this is due to the precedency of generated features of a world - trees apparently come into existence after caves (attachment 2, mod round trunks).
1.png
1.png (743.1 KiB) Viewed 357 times
2.png
2.png (344.58 KiB) Viewed 357 times

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

The projecting dungeons are intentional, they are good for converting into player bases. But some players don't like them so in latest dev version i added a setting for an option to stop those happening.

Floating flora sometimes happens in mgv6, is that screenshot of mgv6?

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

paramat wrote:Floating flora sometimes happens in mgv6, is that screenshot of mgv6?
I guess so. I was thinking it had something in common with overhanging giant sequoias bases in moretrees mod and floating fallen tree trunks in mg valleys (they happen quite often). Well, as far as landscape features is concerned what is a bug depends greatly on what a player regards as ugly or distracting. When I first went into some Minecraft world and saw first floating rock I was thinking it was due to a serious bug.

I am intensively exploring valleys world now. I see some vistas of compelling beauty and I also can see that it lacks two features (which as I suppose are not very difficult to implement), what makes it still imperfect. First and foremost - the sinusoidal functions behind the skylines of the mountains are definitely too obvious. Imho they should be distorted by some procedural pseudo-random noise. And second - I think that there should be "intermediate" fog - based on what is now a full distance view ('fog disabled'). It is of extremely great importance for immersiveness of MT visuals, and would make the 'suspension of disbelief' much easier :)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

paramat wrote:The projecting dungeons are intentional, they are good for converting into player bases.
I've found extremely projecting one in a mg flat (coordinates and seed are visible on the screenshot). I suppose in a survival game one wouldn't be able to find this one quickly enough to avoid the hordes of hungry mobs ;)
Attachments
dungeon.jpg
dungeon.jpg (123.6 KiB) Viewed 357 times

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

paramat wrote:Are you using any mods? If so, which?
Everything is clear now. It's not a bug of the default source. I tried out the nodebox trees mod on the world where this happened, but then switched it off. Wasn't aware that it modifies land generation, so the mystery is solved :) I will report it to the modder.
Last edited by voxelproof on Sat Sep 09, 2017 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

voxelproof wrote:
paramat wrote:The projecting dungeons are intentional, they are good for converting into player bases.
I've found extremely projecting one in a mg flat (coordinates and seed are visible on the screenshot). I suppose in a survival game one wouldn't be able to find this one quickly enough to avoid the hordes of hungry mobs ;)
what is the subgame used on your image?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:what is the subgame used on your image?
I don't know much about subgames frankly speaking. I'm not interested in subgames (I'd like to, but it's hm time-costly). I never switched on any subgames yet , but maybe there're some running by default. Really don't know.

Mapgen in the picture is flat.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

'kay!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

voxelproof wrote:I don't know much about subgames frankly speaking.
Roughly speaking, “subgame” is just a fancy term for “game”. It's simple. Read: https://wiki.minetest.net/Subgame

Oh, and Voxelproof: If you report any mapen bugs, PLEASE do:

- Post coordinates and seed of where the bug occoured. The coordinates and seed are VERY IMPORANT for debugging mapgen bugs! The easiest way is to simply use debug mode (F5) which shows coordinates and seed in the left corner and include this in your screenshot
- Say which map generator you used (v5, v6, v7, valleys, …?) for the world in which the bug occoured in. This is also important
- Say which subgame you used (note: by default it's Minetest Game)
- Say which mods you used (note: by default none at all)
- Name the version number of Minetest

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
voxelproof wrote: Oh, and Voxelproof: If you report any mapen bugs, PLEASE do:
OK.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

voxelproof wrote:I suppose I've encountered a bug - in valleys mapgen I've found a corrupted mountain with a layer of sandstone not attached to underlaying stone core.
This can also occur if the filler node is "air" or a node not included in the subgame.

Check the mapgen.lua in default, or any other mods you have installed and look for this particular biome, paste what you find there in here.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

maikerumine wrote: This can also occur if the filler node is "air" or a node not included in the subgame.
I suppose if it was an unknown node there would have been pink 'unknown nodes' instead of thin air. Probably it was due to the nodebox tree mod as it modifies terrain generation and it had been enabled for a time in the world where this bug occurred before I switched it off. I never encountered anything similar neither in the world mentioned nor in any other world where no mods were enabled. It is a very rare curiosity and apparently doesn't have any significant impact on the play as it is even quite difficult to spot.