[Solved] Crafting bronze

papa

[Solved] Crafting bronze

by papa » Post

Since I upgraded my Android 6 smartphone to MT 0.4.16.17 downloaded from Play Store yesterday, I have been unable to craft bronze in the usual way from steel and copper ingots. Does this mean that I have to make bronze now with the 9 copper + 1 tin recipe? Is that hardcoded into the Play store version, or is there a way to switch back to the copper + steel recipe? Why was the bronze recipe changed?
Last edited by papa on Thu Oct 19, 2017 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

jas
IRC: Freenode

Re: Crafting bronze

by jas » Post

Depends on the version of the Minetest server and the minetest_game its running. So if you're running a newer minetestserver/minetest_game on your PC, and connecting with your smartphone, then it's on the PC where the craft recipe is determined.

If you're doing singleplayer on the phone, I'm not sure. Best way to know is to /give yourself the craft items and test. Good luck.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

If you look at the contents of bronze, you'll notice that the previous recipe with 1x copper + 1x steel is wrong. By adding tin in 0.4.16, this problem could be solved. Please note that only new generated mapblocks (simplified "areas") will contain the new tin ore, so a bit digging further away is required.

Reverting this manually:
Search for " default:bronze_ingot 9 " in minetest_game/mods/default/crafting.lua (wherever this file may be) and replace that code with the one marked here. Ensure that you've got the right crafting recipe to replace.

Fastest way to solve:
Acknowledge the chemical correctness of the new recipe.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

papa

by papa » Post

I didn't realize chemical accuracy was a requirement for crafting recipes. ;)

On my smartphone MT game, I dug a shaft deep enough to strike tin ore and confirmed that bronze can be crafted with the new 9 copper + 1 tin recipe.

This makes bronze a little harder to come by since tin ore appears to be much rarer than copper or iron. However, this is somewhat compensated by the recipe producing nine bronze ingots for each batch.

Thanks for the tip on reverting the recipe. Now that I have found tin in my game I will probably stop worrying and learn to love the chemically accurate new version, but the technique for recipe hacking will be a useful reference in the future.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: [Solved] Crafting bronze

by sorcerykid » Post

Correctness... in a computer game comprised of voxels? O_o

I had no idea that Wikipedia served as a technical reference whenever there were doubts about the accuracy of the Minetest world. If that is the case, then what is the chemical formula of a mese crystal, and why does it only glow when combined with glass? I can't seem to find any relevant articles on Wikipedia. Maybe mese should be removed :P