mgv6 - no silver sand?

Punk

mgv6 - no silver sand?

by Punk » Post

Is there no Silver Sand in mgv6?

Some thing mgv6 doesn't have (Naturally generated blocks):

Corals (orange and brown)
Acacia (tree, leaves, bush, bush leaves)
Aspen (tree, leaves)
bush (leaves, stem)
dirt dry glass, dirt rainforest
dry glass
River water* (only mapgen valleys)
Sandstone
Sandstone brick

No mentions about Silver Sand

Source: https://wiki.minetest.net/Blocks#Natura ... ted_blocks
(Color key is on very hard level... rs)

I miss a simple topic for a stupid questions like this.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: mgv6 - no silver sand?

by Wuzzy » Post

The wiki is correct. Silver sand can sometimes be found in small blobs in the underground, similar to sand. This is possible in v6 and all other mapgens except singlenode (obviously).
There are no cold deserts in v6, making silver sand much harder to stockpile than in other mapgens.

https://wiki.minetest.net/Silver_Sand

Note that in each block page, it is also explicitly mentions if it is generated in the box.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Mgv6 is our oldest mapgen, it doesn't use the Biome API and has simple hardcoded biomes, we don't change it because we promise to support and not break old worlds.
All other mapgens use the same set of biomes.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

paramat wrote:Mgv6 is our oldest mapgen, it doesn't use the Biome API and has simple hardcoded biomes, we don't change it because we promise to support and not break old worlds.
Well, couldn't there be a "new v6" where the biomes are Lua side like v7 and v5? I like v6, but not the limit on what can be done with the biomes.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Punk

by Punk » Post

paramat wrote:Mgv6 is our oldest mapgen, it doesn't use the Biome API and has simple hardcoded biomes, we don't change it because we promise to support and not break old worlds.
Well, when I started play Minetest mgv6 was standard mapgen in original game. I have some worlds in this mapgen, and it is more easy for change biomes, I guess.

v6 is more older than v5? I though v meant version.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Punk wrote:I though v meant version.
According to some statements in a discussion about giving the generators proper names it was made clear that those are not version numbers and cannot be changed to a proper name.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Punk wrote:I though v meant version.
According to some statements in a discussion about giving the generators proper names it was made clear that those are not version numbers and cannot be changed to a proper name.
Originally the v did mean version number, that was back when there was a single mapgen. Now that there are multiple mapgens it is no longer true that v6 is newer than v5. From Map Generator Evolution;
The mapgen “v6” (also known as “mgv6”) is the direct continuation of version 6 (before support for multiple mapgens has been added) and has pretty much the same features. ...it is still officially supported in Minetest, it will not be removed anytime soon and improvements and bugfixes are still applied from time to time.
It was originally introduced with MT 0.4.0.

Mapgen v5 was originally introduced with MT 0.3.1. Regarding the current v5, the above page states:
Also called “mgv5”. This mapgen is a revival of the historic map generator version 5 from Minetest-c55 0.3. In Minetest 0.4.11, ...But this mapgen is not identical to the historic version 5. The terrain shape is identical, but the modernized v5 map generator has mod-defined biome support (like v7), rather than predefined biomes and also shares many other features with v7...
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.