Becomes Unresponsive

Lokimugr
In-game: Lokimugr

Becomes Unresponsive

by Lokimugr » Post

This may just be a problem with my OS (Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit), but recently I was filling in a pool in the sky with river water, and Minetest just stopped working and became unresponsive. I could not close it, even from the Task Manager. I eventually had to restart my computer to close it, however, my in-game progress was saved. Any idea why this happened?

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

Re: Becomes Unresponsive

by TechNolaByte » Post

did you have any mods installed?
its not very often but sometimes a powerful mod can glitch in such a way as it breaks the active session
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

I am also having a lot of trouble with this lately. I'm using the precompiled current 64 bit portable client. I connect to several servers out there. I get about 10 to 30 seconds of good play, then the client becomes disembodied. I can't interact with inventory or items. Yesterday I noticed a change on my Windows 10. It blocked minetest in the firewall, so I told the windows firewall to give the minetest public access. Since then I have not been able to maintain connection with servers. As with the first post, sometimes this locks the client and prevents it from closing.

I notice when I turn on debugging (F5) in the client that the disconnection is associated with wide bands in the main loop items and also lost packets. Also those bands usually represent lag, but this is different from lag. This is lag that never ends.

Are there tools in minetest that can help me further troubleshoot this issue? I need to find out if its being caused by my computer.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

Update: I have found some arcane instructions online for disabling something called Nagle's Algorithm, and so far this has fixed the problem. I'm going to undo it and see if the problem comes back just to be sure. When I am sure I'll post a link to the instructions I followed.

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

No, that has not substantially resolved the issues that are making gameplay impossible. All of this began when Windows Firewall automatically blocked the minetest client. I have been unable to discover what is causing the game to stop working. The two servers I have been using to test with are Survival X and r208. I have also had this issue with Legendary X and Inside the Box.

This problem is something I can't diagnose or fix. That means I can't play the game. It probably means that other people cannot either. I will try to check back in and see if anybody else has an idea or if something changes.

hajo

by hajo » Post

lightseer wrote:This problem is something I can't diagnose or fix.
Details, please:
* Computer - cpu, ram, videocard, os...
* Minetest - version, build, config
* game / server / map ...
* list of active mods
* debug.txt
* what did you do / how to reproduce the bug

lightseer

by lightseer » Post

hajo wrote:
lightseer wrote:This problem is something I can't diagnose or fix.
Details, please:
* Computer - cpu, ram, videocard, os...
* Minetest - version, build, config
* game / server / map ...
* list of active mods
* debug.txt
* what did you do / how to reproduce the bug
That gave me the idea to try Vanessa's Nostalgia server which has limited mods. I can do some more testing. If I still need help I will come back later with more details and system info and list of active mods. So far no problems with that server except occasional lag.