Default jungle lag

voxelproof

Default jungle lag

by voxelproof » Post

I've noticed that when nearing large swathes of jungle in default game the performance starts to be laggy up to the point (when huge terrain is covered by far viewing range) of halting completely (this lasts up to a minute). I'm using a simple hardware with 4GB RAM only, but there're no such issues with other biomes. Have someone experienced somethink like that, maybe it was already reported?
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

TalkLounge
GitHub: TalkLounge
In-game: TalkLounge

Re: Default jungle lag

by TalkLounge » Post

Yes, because in the jungle your PC has to render the leaves and whats behind the leaves. This is the reason, why your FPS are better in the sky or in the underground.
Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Yes, this seems to be a general jungle problem. Maybe because of all the grass and stuff that hangs from the trees?

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

I've got a fairly beefy system and large forests (as pretty as they are) lag for me as well. Turning off waving leaves helped a lot. A little bit of testing showed improvements by replacing the leaves texture with one which was more solid and had fewer holes.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Thanks a lot :) At least my assumption that this is not an issue of the local configuration is confirmed now. Personally I would also blame the large number of trunks (several times more than in any other biome, which btw makes jungle forests a challenge when you try to walk across them).

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Some possible additional performance boost in addition to turning off those leaf alpha transparency
- edit the mapgen.lua (from ..\minetest_game\mods\default\ )
fill_ratio = 0.1,
And decrease that value to have less numerous trees and that number related lag.
personnally i use fill_ratio = 0.02, and i never observed any jungle lag anymore.

(in case you're using mgv6 it's different you would have to play with mgv6_np_trees and mgv6_np_apple_trees entries but this time in the minetest.conf, lowering the scale value is effective)

- edit biomes size (so jungle are also becoming less gigantic, but with the cons being all the biomes, even the interesting ones are affected but it gives also more diversity then to the amount of biomes you're going to cross when visiting your worlds)
by editing the mg_biome_np_heat [url=ttps://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example#L1567]mg_biome_np_humidity[/url] and (lowering the 3 spread values does the trick) in the minetest.conf

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Robsoie wrote:Some possible additional performance boost in addition to turning off those leaf alpha transparency
- edit the mapgen.lua (from ..\minetest_game\mods\default\ )
fill_ratio = 0.1,
And decrease that value to have less numerous trees and that number related lag.
personnally i use fill_ratio = 0.02, and i never observed any jungle lag anymore.

(in case you're using mgv6 it's different you would have to play with mgv6_np_trees and mgv6_np_apple_trees entries but this time in the minetest.conf, lowering the scale value is effective)

- edit biomes size (so jungle are also becoming less gigantic, but with the cons being all the biomes, even the interesting ones are affected but it gives also more diversity then to the amount of biomes you're going to cross when visiting your worlds)
by editing the mg_biome_np_heat [url=ttps://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example#L1567]mg_biome_np_humidity[/url] and (lowering the 3 spread values does the trick) in the minetest.conf
Great thanks, I'll definitely try it. Well, I like jungle from afar, even made some modifications to obtain huge forests with some rare not very tall rocky hills here and there (visually the results are stunning, needed a mod "selva" with a natural looking huge river flowing across it), but it comes at a cost :)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yes it's the high density of trees creating a complex terrain surface to be rendered that reduces FPS. Any complex surface in a world will do the same, such as areas with complex structures, and non-opaque nodes make it worse.

Most importantly reduce your view range.
Apart from that the first thing to do is to use the 'opaque leaves' setting so that leaves are no longer see-through, this also reduces the number of leaf faces rendered. Or at least use 'simple leaves'.
Then try turning off various visual settings and shaders or disabling shaders completely using the shader master switch.

Reducing the density of forests is not really the right approach, it's better to adjust your settings and view range so that complex structures are not a problem, instead of removing the complex structures.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

paramat wrote: Reducing the density of forests is not really the right approach, it's better to adjust your settings and view range so that complex structures are not a problem, instead of removing the complex structures.
I agree, so I simply reduced the viewing range and now it's OK, even though the leaves are left waving and transparent. Default jungle forests btw in spite of above-mentioned graphical load lack diversity, at least some palm trees and another type of grass should be added in the future, but it's part of feature discussion :)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

For efficiency, you could try to select a different leaves rendering in your settings (Opaque Leaves or Simple Leaves). But that won't be as pretty, of course.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Wuzzy wrote:For efficiency, you could try to select a different leaves rendering in your settings (Opaque Leaves or Simple Leaves). But that won't be as pretty, of course.
I avoid this cause I use my own tp (which I'm probably already addicted to ;) ) but thankfully reducing the view distance to the default value is pretty enough, especially that I don't need very good performance needed when a player engages in some survival gameplay requiring e.g. running.

Vapalus

by Vapalus » Post

The default jungle also looks ugly.
It is not really needed in the current form... Or the current density.
A man much wiser than me once said: "go away, you are bothering me"

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Vapalus wrote:The default jungle also looks ugly.
It is not really needed in the current form... Or the current density.
I don't think it's as bad but indeed the default jungle looks dull. And it could look way better if some inspiration from Voxelands was taken:

Textures replacing default ones are made by me. Important note: the colours displayed by my browser of this screenshot posted on the Forum differ significantly from the original file I've uploaded (I don't know why, maybe some additional compression is done on the server side).

edit:

The screenshot displayed in IE looks correct. Whats more, sites downloaded from web and then opened in Opera look like piece of s**t. It didn't happen before. Great thanks and FY M$.
Attachments
voxelands_jungle.jpg
voxelands_jungle.jpg (174.18 KiB) Viewed 547 times