how do I compile backport? [SOLVED]

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

how do I compile backport? [SOLVED]

by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD » Post

dev.minetest.net/Compiling_Minetest

If one of y'all devs can teach me by editing that there tutorial so I get me a 4.17 or maybe 4.16 if 17 ain't compatible with most servers I'd be happy. I hear using them instructions there will give 5.0 and currently incompatible with most clients. Thanks (:
Last edited by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD on Tue May 01, 2018 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Wayward_One
GitHub: Wayward1
IRC: Wayward_One Wayward1
In-game: Wayward_One

Re: how do I compile backport?

by Wayward_One » Post

Assuming you're using Linux, while in the Minetest folder in your terminal run "git checkout backport-0.4" for 0.4.17-dev, or "git checkout stable-0.4" for 0.4.16 stable, and then proceed with the compilation. You'll need to do the same for Minetest Game as well if you wish to play on a local world.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

I get the error
honey@booboo:~/minetest$ git checkout backport-0.4
error: pathspec 'backport-0.4' did not match any file(s) known to git.

I tried stable yet it says that i have current version though it is a year old 4.15 dev.
honey@booboo:~/minetest/games$ git checkout stable-0.4
Already on 'stable-0.4'
Shall I delete my minetest directory then 4.15 will be gone?
Wayward_One wrote:Assuming you're using Linux, while in the Minetest folder in your terminal run "git checkout backport-0.4" for 0.4.17-dev, or "git checkout stable-0.4" for 0.4.16 stable, and then proceed with the compilation. You'll need to do the same for Minetest Game as well if you wish to play on a local world.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote:I get the error
honey@booboo:~/minetest$ git checkout backport-0.4
error: pathspec 'backport-0.4' did not match any file(s) known to git.

I tried stable yet it says that i have current version though it is a year old 4.15 dev.
honey@booboo:~/minetest/games$ git checkout stable-0.4
Already on 'stable-0.4'
Shall I delete my minetest directory then 4.15 will be gone?
Wayward_One wrote:Assuming you're using Linux, while in the Minetest folder in your terminal run "git checkout backport-0.4" for 0.4.17-dev, or "git checkout stable-0.4" for 0.4.16 stable, and then proceed with the compilation. You'll need to do the same for Minetest Game as well if you wish to play on a local world.
There seems to be several things being discussed at once:
  • 1) Are you trying to compile the latest Minetest backport?
    2) Or, are you trying to update your current Minetest from the Minetest git repository?
    3) Or, are you trying to update from your Linux distributions repositories (the same place you would be getting security updates and program upgrades for your entire system?
If 2), you may need to run the command Wayward_One suggested from someplace like /usr/share/minetest if on Ubuntu or one of it's derivatives (LinuxMint, etc.) and you started with Minetest from Ubuntu sources. This would probably need to be done as root. BUT it would probably be best to not try to upgraded the distro provided version in this way.
If 3) and you are one Ubuntu or a derivative, what release are you using? Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) and 18.04 (Bionic) have Minetest 0.4.16. Older versions, back to Xenial, are probably running Minetest 0.4.13. If you are on an older Ubuntu/derivative you can install the stable PPA to get Minetest 0.4.16. Or see here for PPA installation instructions. If you are on Debian, backports will allow you to get a newer Minetest version. For distros with other bases more info is needed for us to assist.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

dawgdoc wrote:
  • 1) Are you trying to compile the latest Minetest backport?
    2) Or, are you trying to update your current Minetest from the Minetest git repository?
    3) Or, are you trying to update from your Linux distributions repositories (the same place you would be getting security updates and program upgrades for your entire system?
  • 1) Yes, if compatible with older versions, unlike 5
    2) updating seems more practical though i've never done it.
    3) No, I currently run a 4.15 dev that I compiled over a year ago by following instructions from dev.minetest.net/Compiling_Minetest
Though I compiled I have never learned to use git to update the files.
I run minetest from cd /username/minetest/bin/
./minetest
or I can click "minetest" from that directory.

there's a ".git" dir in "minetest_game" and i tried the recommended commands there and various other places with failure. :( I have successfully compiled from scratch in the past so my main problem now is that this gives version 5 when i need whats currently most compatible. However i have never updated using git and need to learn that.

[/list]

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote: Though I compiled I have never learned to use git to update the files.
I run minetest from cd /username/minetest/bin/
./minetest
or I can click "minetest" from that directory.

there's a ".git" dir in "minetest_game" and i tried the recommended commands there and various other places with failure. :( I have successfully compiled from scratch in the past so my main problem now is that this gives version 5 when i need whats currently most compatible. However i have never updated using git and need to learn that.
To update minetest_game from within its folder change the command Wayward_One gave you to

Code: Select all

git checkout minetest_game
If there is not a ".git" dir in /username/minetest I would say that it has never been initialized as a git directory. Causing the command W_O gave you not to work. You must have installed git onto your system in the past, otherwise I don't think you would have a .git in the minetest_game directory. I use git to keep games (sub-games) and mods current. I have never used it to maintain the engine and default game. But, first go to /username/minetest and then run the command "git init" From this point you may be able to use one of the command that W_O gave you, but I doubt it. I'll let someone that has experience converting a compiled Minetest to a git repository lead you from here.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

zing269

by zing269 » Post

It sounds like you are just out of sync with the master. While in your /username/minetest directory run

Code: Select all

git fetch
If that doesn't give you any errors then try the commands that Wayward_One gave you.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

Solved I reckon. Thanks y'all!

i did "/minetest/ git fetch" and this happened.

remote: Counting objects: 11061, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (35/35), done.
remote: Total 11061 (delta 4914), reused 4913 (delta 4905), pack-reused 6121
Receiving objects: 100% (11061/11061), 12.20 MiB | 7.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (8890/8890), completed with 747 local objects.
From https://github.com/minetest/minetest
81d56b9..87b9451 stable-0.4 -> origin/stable-0.4
* [new branch] backport-0.4 -> origin/backport-0.4
03b34cb..87ad4d8 master -> origin/master
* [new tag] 0.4.dev-20120318 -> 0.4.dev-20120318
* [new tag] 0.4.16 -> 0.4.16

then i used the "git checkout stable-0.4"

and then "cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE" "make -j 2"

and now I have 4.16 in the title bar so I guess it worked.