Dealing with lag

SONOFSATAN
IRC: SONOFSATAN stevr59
In-game: SONOFSATAN

Dealing with lag

by SONOFSATAN » Post

is there a way to lower lag on a server? i run my sevrer off a vps with 856 mbit download and up ,load speeds yet my server still has lag and i am losing players due to timing out, i delted the huge players file i had and all that did was lower my ping but not the lag sever. many players are timing out, i think most who are getting time out are phone and tablet players wich is about 90% of my players. with my high band width i should be running a lag free server. not sure if the mods are causing th lag as i am a mod heavy server. and the pc using dont seem to have a proublem but now days 90% are phone aqnd tab players.
SONOS Raspberry pi server nyx.no-ip.org:30001
SONOS -MT server www.swh59.com:30002

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: Dealing with lag

by Krock » Post

i can see your server is still runnin on 0.4.16 so i suggest you to compile 0.4.17-dev from the bakport branch (https://github.com/minetest/minetest/tree/backport-0.4) to check whether the issue stil persists. there were some performance and security fixes which surely wont hurt youre server. one of the more importnt changes is this one, which improvs the speed for LUAJIT server builds a lot (see link for the relevant speed measures]. pls note that a 0.4.17-dev server will also require minetest_game to have the same version, thuse also get the backport-0.4 brach for it here: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... ckport-0.4 . i hope this will improve the performance for yours server a bit.

I'm sorry if you're suffering from dyslexic. The grammar was mildly infuriating, so I counter that by imitation.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> i am a mod heavy server

It's most likely mods causing this. For example do you have moretrees, technic, mesecons, darkage? There are many mods that are very intensive or and/not well coded.

SONOFSATAN

by SONOFSATAN » Post

paramat wrote:> i am a mod heavy server

It's most likely mods causing this. For example do you have moretrees, technic, mesecons, darkage? There are many mods that are very intensive or and/not well coded.
i do have moretrees, mesecons, and cave realms from what i am seeing is most of the one who are timing out or complaing of lag are phone and tablet players, but the last 2 week the lag as gone up and i am trying to find out why. some time when no one on it have 2.0 lag i got good band width 865 mbits but really what the point in mods most every one now plays on a phone or tablet if i get rid of the mods then they dont want to play , if i give them what they want they complain of lag and timing out, and cry oh i keep getting pop up ads when i play lol. but relly if we got rid of phone and tab users there be very few playing the game i did try getting rid of more trees but wqs a mess had unknow blocks every where to much to clean , i did delted the players file but that didnt help servers still lagging, what i find strage i ran a back up copy of the server on my main pc with 6 mbits dls slowness and the sevrer had less lag than running off the vps with 856 mbits
this dont make any since, i am to the point i am about ready to delted the vps droplet and make a new fesh one updated to ubuntu 18.04 and try a fresh install of minetest server and re run the servers and see if i still getting the lag

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD » Post

SONOFSATAN wrote: strage i ran a back up copy of the server on my main pc with 6 mbits dls slowness and the sevrer had less lag than running off the vps with 856 mbits

VPS may be dishonest or (over)shared resource

SONOFSATAN

by SONOFSATAN » Post

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote:
SONOFSATAN wrote: strage i ran a back up copy of the server on my main pc with 6 mbits dls slowness and the sevrer had less lag than running off the vps with 856 mbits

VPS may be dishonest or (over)shared resource
thats is true ,so how would i know for sure? i did run a speed test and it said it had 850 mbit upload and down load speeds, but yeah i do recall seeing vps are on a shared resources

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

I guess what you can up and download to the system where MTS runs, is not meaning that die MTS itself is allowed to up and download this mass: check the examples for server tuning !
The other side, is even the connection allows the server itself, and the MTS to use it, can the MTS deliver it, with a compare of reading the data from disk and prepare them so send ?
and also has the MTS enough free CPU time beside all the mods and work out the incoming data to get the outgoing to send ? ... maybe check profiler to see what mod causes most work, and how to reduce it ...
And at the end, never forget that slow clients (connection / cpu / gpu) feels like lag and they tell you, but thats THERE problem.

but even I cant start profiler anymore: crashes MTS crash when profiler true, (string expected, got table)
I have a actual lag 0.23, before less then 0.16 - so even I wanna search ahead
Last edited by Festus1965 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 02:34, edited 3 times in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

In my experience a lot of players time out just due to their crappy internet, some mobile clients also fail to send the disconnect packet when they disconnect, so the server thinks they've timed out when they actually just left.

If you're having problems with lua going slow, try running the profiler to isolate the mod which is using up your resources, and remove it or modify it to be more efficient.
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

Lag is only a question of installed mods.
I have a server (Celeron G3900 (2x 2,8 GHz) , 4 GByte RAM, 120 GB SSD, 2.5 mbit/s (!))
and up to 8 players, I never had any problems with lag...
My limiting factor is the network bandwidth, otherwise I guess 20 player would be possible.
Therefore, check out your mods and find out which ones use a lot of CPU power.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.