A server moderator crashed my client.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

A server moderator crashed my client.

by HONEYBOOBOOCHILD » Post

Y'all I got this moderator "SOUALYMANE" on Survival X fightin with me and then I get "shutting down" and my client did what it said. He then brags that " I can do worse" I'm not asking anyone to take sides, I just need to know how safe my puter is y'all? How much of a security risk is this game, honestly y'all?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: A server moderator crashed my client.

by rubenwardy » Post

They shut down the server which caused your client to disconnect
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

If you have access to the debug.txt crash logs, then you should post them here in order to find out how to solve it. "Shutting down" is as helpful like "my printer doesnt work". It provides no information about what's going wrong.
If you're not running the server on your computer, then you're safe. Depends on the mod security of the server whether they're safe or not.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

rubenwardy wrote:They shut down the server which caused your client to disconnect
No, everyone else was still on when i reconnected . He also bragged that " I can do worse"
Believe me he did something intentional.
Krock I checked debug and it didn't show. It seemed like a normal /shutdown with "shutting down" message is all that happened, but against my will.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote: It seemed like a normal /shutdown with "shutting down" message is all that happened, but against my will.
against your will = he should not be moderator anymore. so easy first step, even he wrote ... " I can do worse" = finish worries
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

Festus1965 wrote:
HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote: It seemed like a normal /shutdown with "shutting down" message is all that happened, but against my will.
against your will = he should not be moderator anymore. so easy first step, even he wrote ... " I can do worse" = finish worries
It seems some blackhats have found open source game a good place for practice. I am now certain that minetest code, including dangerous csm can be executed by others remotely. I like this game but took my cousins advice to remove minetest and only reinstall inside virtualbox behind vpn for revenge (:
Attachments
survivalhax3.jpg
survivalhax3.jpg (183.13 KiB) Viewed 507 times

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

The image you showed just proves that he's willing to carry out worse punishments on you (via moderator commands) if you don't stop be "annoying" (he probably meant jerk there, knowing you) to everyone on the server, cased closed.

I'm getting some coffee.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

Stix wrote:(via moderator commands)
Why does minetest allow other people to shut down a players client? I know of "kick,ban" but not "shutdown" so the player has to reopen their game.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

do not ask why - hacking is real ... so install a mod that allows you to track the "enemies" IP-adresses (xban, euban) and block them via there, or direct on the firewall of the server ...
Thats what i do, also take away all privs from that account, and block it even ... triple solution.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Do you mean the message was a normal 'server shutting down' message?

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD

paramat wrote:Do you mean the message was a normal 'server shutting down' message?
No, the message was "shutting down" and then my client closed. This same message and result appears if I type "shutdown" in the console/chat. I had to restart by clicking the icon.I was using 4.17.1 dev on Linux. My other account was temporarily banned the day before and I was also kicked with the account this happened on by the same moderator, so I'm familiar with the messages and results of being kicked/banned (those even show in my debug).
Note that I was already banned and kicked, so saying "I can do worse/I will do bad things" can only mean "perm ban" which would be a 1 time present tense and not "bad things" lol
He did it, they know it, they'll deny it. but y'all devs should do some undercover work and clean house (:

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

HONEYBOOBOOCHILD wrote: He did it, they know it, they'll deny it. but y'all devs should do some undercover work and clean house (:
developers have no control over how people run their servers.
A Wonderful World

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

I think the word "hacking" is quite liberally used here. He's not really hacking anyone.

There are ways in which the server can modify client data in a way that freezes the client. This method is actually quite useful and effective, especially for people who can evade bans, because is disables the client for a more extended period of time than a kick (where the user can just log right back in). Obviously, like most moderation tools, it is easily abused, so you need to choose to play on servers which don't have bad moderators :)

That said, there is no danger in doing this, you're just using a mod of some kind to modify some data in a way that the client doesn't expect, thus causing it to crash. The client crashing is basically the extent of the damage that can be done by the server, especially if you're not running the client as sudo (never run the client as sudo anyway...).
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ChimneySwift wrote:never run the client as sudo anyway...).
Oh boy... Are they able to hack into my computer if I execute the Minetest client as sudo?
Have a nice day! :D

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

MineYoshi wrote:Oh boy... Are they able to hack into my computer if I execute the Minetest client as sudo?
It should still theoretically be impossible for a server to cause damage to a client, even if it's running in sudo, but running the client in sudo is still pretty stupid, I don't see why you would either.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

ChimneySwift wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:Oh boy... Are they able to hack into my computer if I execute the Minetest client as sudo?
It should still theoretically be impossible for a server to cause damage to a client, even if it's running in sudo, but running the client in sudo is still pretty stupid, I don't see why you would either.
I don't know: maybe because I guess it's likely some magic fix for every possible problem.
Have a nice day! :D

ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

MineYoshi wrote:I don't know: maybe because I guess it's likely some magic fix for every possible problem.
Magic fix for every possible problem that also opens your computer up to potential security vulnerabilities? Doesn't sounds like that good of a solution tbh.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Why would ever run anything you don't need to as root? Sounds like you need your sudo privileges taken off you
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Why would ever run anything you don't need to as root? Sounds like you need your sudo privileges taken off you
Beginner tutorials (strangely usually written by beginners, too) often tell the readers to use sudo to perform a task if the task fails for any reason. This unfortunately leaks through to everyday use.