Vines/Ropes mod not working

Minetest4Life

Vines/Ropes mod not working

by Minetest4Life » Post

Hello,

I have the latest version of Minetest (0.4.17.1), 64 bit for Windows. I have loaded the Plant Life mod, which includes the vine and rope mod. It seems like all of the other features of Plant Life work, but no vines are generated. In creative mode, I've opened inventory to search for shears (used to obtain fines to make ropes) and they don't show up.

I extracted a fresh copy of Minetest 0.4.17.1 to test with on this, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I installed and enabled the biome_lib and moretrees mods as referenced hereviewtopic.php?t=3898

Does anybody have any experience with this mod? It seems extraordinarily picky.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

Re: Vines/Ropes mod not working

by DrFrankenstone » Post

vines and several other things in that modpack depend on biome_lib, which isn't in the Plant Life mod, so add that and you should be good.

If you search your debug.txt file for "vines" there'll probably be an error along those lines

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

I was complaining for this for a long time, modpacks should have all dependencies included in itself.

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

Fixer wrote:I was complaining for this for a long time, modpacks should have all dependencies included in itself.
Why, IMO it makes no sense to implement/copy everything again and again.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Fixer wrote:I was complaining for this for a long time, modpacks should have all dependencies included in itself.
No. Modpacks are collections of mods. Mods should handle dependencies, not the modpack.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

You ship a modpack with mods that harddepend on external mods, that is not user-friendly. User thinks he installed the modpack and then notice something is broken, because that god-damn unified-dies or biome-lib hard dependancy is not included, because why not suffer more? Life is too easy.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Fixer wrote:You ship a modpack with mods that harddepend on external mods, that is not user-friendly. User thinks he installed the modpack and then notice something is broken, because that god-damn unified-dies or biome-lib hard dependancy is not included, because why not suffer more? Life is too easy.
I still don’t see why it is a modpack creators job to fix mod dependencies.

Easy solution: Do not bundle 3rd party mods in own modpacks.

Minetest4Life

by Minetest4Life » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:vines and several other things in that modpack depend on biome_lib, which isn't in the Plant Life mod, so add that and you should be good.

If you search your debug.txt file for "vines" there'll probably be an error along those lines
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion. I had already enabled biome_lib. I tried enabling intllib as well, since it's an optional dependency of biome_lib, but no luck. I've tried some other combinations too, like the 32-bit version vs the 64-bit version of Minetest, as well as mapgens V5 6 and 7.

I have one saved game in Minetest, an old one, where vines seem to be working, and I'm not really sure what is making it work. I tried replicating it, since it's in a separate copy of Minetest, and starting a new game with the same mods enabled doesn't produce vines.

It's a mod I really like, but I may just have to give up on it. I was initially trying to create kind of a master Minetest copy that had all of my favorite mods working out of the box, so I don't have to fiddle like this anymore (for the most part), but I may have to throw in the towel.

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Have you tried searching your debug.txt file for "vines"? It may tell you what's wrong.

(Debug info can also be increased in the advanced settings)

Minetest4Life

by Minetest4Life » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:Have you tried searching your debug.txt file for "vines"? It may tell you what's wrong.

(Debug info can also be increased in the advanced settings)
Thank you! So this put me a step in the right direction. I found that plants_lib is a missing dependency. It doesn't appear to be in the latest plantlife modpack, and isn't mentioned as a dependency on its forum page. Moretrees was also mentioned, so I enabled that.

I was then able to find a total of one vine, haha. In the other game I talked about, where vines were showing up, they seem super common. In this one, I found only one, and tried different mapgen combos between 6 and 7, and disabling/enabling moretrees to give different variations.

Not sure if they're just super rare, or if it's a problem. I'm not seeing any more lines referencing vines in the debug.txt file. I'll keep playing around with it, but your suggestion definitely helped me

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

IIRC the vines require a minimum humidity and are also affected by a plantlife density, so there will be lots of places where there no vines, or very few.

Good to hear you got it working, not so good that there are hidden dependencies.

Minetest4Life

by Minetest4Life » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:IIRC the vines require a minimum humidity and are also affected by a plantlife density, so there will be lots of places where there no vines, or very few.

Good to hear you got it working, not so good that there are hidden dependencies.
Thanks so much! I actually was able to pull a copy of plants_lib from an old version of the plant life modpack in order to get it working. Now i can update my master mods "pack".

Thanks again for the help

DrFrankenstone

by DrFrankenstone » Post

I looked into it a little.

plants_lib was split apart from plantlife modpack in Aug 2015, and was renamed to biome_lib. So if something is requiring "plants_lib" then it's either an obsolete version, or something has slipped through. The latest versions of the mods should avoid the dependency.

Starbeamrainbowlabs
GitHub: sbrl

by Starbeamrainbowlabs » Post

Sounds like a 'mod package manager' (like npm is for Javascript) might be answer to that problem. Such a program could handle the installation of mods (and their dependencies!) automagically.

Minetest4Life

by Minetest4Life » Post

I just wanted to note that ever since I did what I mentioned above, it seems to working perfectly. Vines are generating normally and seem to show in varying amounts depending on the environment, as it should. So it looks like everything is working great now

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:I still don’t see why it is a modpack creators job to fix mod dependencies.
Easy solution: Do not bundle 3rd party mods in own modpacks.
Both biome_lib and modpack itself were made by VanessaE, and she introduced this weird external dependency in full knowledge/intent (and in her other modpacks too). I'm still puzzled on what real benefits it brings to simple players apart from pissing off with downloading yet another package that should be included in pack anyway... (feels like common sense to me).

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Fixer wrote:Both biome_lib and modpack itself were made by VanessaE, and she introduced this weird external dependency in full knowledge/intent (and in her other modpacks too). I'm still puzzled on what real benefits it brings to simple players apart from pissing off with downloading yet another package that should be included in pack anyway... (feels like common sense to me).
I don't understand what the big deal is; Its library.
Its meant as a support mod, not specifically her mods.

plant_life is just really good example how biomes_lib can be used :)

If Doom_Plants depended on biomes_lib,
people would bitch bout having to download
the whole plant_life pack for the one mod.

Fixer

by Fixer » Post

I don't understand what the big deal is; Its library.
Homedecor modpack now requires downloading THREE external dependencies, Carl...
I only hope rubenwardy introduces depends downloading via Content tab.
VanessaE really knows how to grind my gears. So what, if she includes unified dyes into all her modpacks, if you enable them all, they will conflict and just use the first unified one in the list, it is tiny anyway and you will not spend time lurking on github pages to solve those depends.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Fixer wrote: Homedecor modpack now requires downloading THREE external dependencies, Carl...
who the heck is Carl?