Connection timed out

Hevorkx

Connection timed out

by Hevorkx » Post

Hello guys,I m trying to play this game with my girlfriend, I got the 0.4.17.1 on windows and she got the 5.0.0 version on mac , i tried the port forwarding on my IP address and 30000 port thingy but still she cant connect with an error showing (connection timed out)!! can you please help us,we've been trying for the last 2 days watching YT videos and reading forums and stuff, much appreciated !

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Connection timed out

by rubenwardy » Post

Hevorkx wrote:Hello guys,I m trying to play this game with my girlfriend, I got the 0.4.17.1 on windows and she got the 5.0.0 version on mac , i tried the port forwarding on my IP address and 30000 port thingy but still she cant connect with an error showing (connection timed out)!! can you please help us,we've been trying for the last 2 days watching YT videos and reading forums and stuff, much appreciated !
Hey, 5.0.0 and 0.4.17 are network incompatible. This is because 5.0 is a major release which break network compatibility with older versions. Note that in the AAA world, it's common to break network between individual versions, yet alone major versions.

If you're connected to the same WiFi network, you don't need to do port forwarding.

Obtain your local IP address (should look like 192.0.A.B) . You may be able to obtain this in your network settings (I don't know windows). Alternatively, you can definitely do this by opening up Powershell or Command Prompt and typing: ipconfig.

Note that connecting to your public IP address from within your network will likely result in a time out, which is probably what your error is about (for techy people: this is due to NAT punchthrough issues)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Hevorkx

by Hevorkx » Post

Thanks rubenwardy !!! I didn't expect anyone to answer and this is my first ever post on a forum, I will try to find a matching version , and no we are not using the same wifi :( I thought I've done everything correctly! Didn't face any problems getting the IP and the port forwarding , so i guess its the version!!
Thanks again and have a good day !!!!

Gekkeupie
IRC: Majochup
In-game: majochup-upie2

by Gekkeupie » Post

Hevorkx, Hi i have two questions.
1. Is the problem solved?
2. if its solved could you put something like [SOLVED] in the topic title?
So ppl like me who search problems where they can help, but its already fixed.

Thank you very much, -Majochup

wildskies

by wildskies » Post

Ok, I want to play with my sister and we are in the same home with the same IP address. I keep getting a connection timed out error. So what do I have to do differently. I don't know. I saw that if you have the same IP address you should not be entering an ip address in the join field. So what am I supposed to do?

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

wildskies wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 03:32
Ok, I want to play with my sister and we are in the same home with the same IP address. I keep getting a connection timed out error. So what do I have to do differently. I don't know. I saw that if you have the same IP address you should not be entering an ip address in the join field. So what am I supposed to do?
When you ARE in the same home, in the same network behind ONE Router that connects you out to the internet,
THEN no any PC or other IP Unit inside that network should have the same IP.

Mostly it is something with 192.168.0.x, where the number of x might be from 1 to 253, and if you choose automatic settings, the routers IP server will give never the same IP to "his" network.

As if your in the same network, you will never need a port forwarding at your router, as the data from the PCs in the same network don't have to pass the border to internet.

So it seams 2 mistakes:
* absolute same IP on 2 or more PC in same network is wrong
* and then only the firewall of the minetest server holding PC might be the problem, and here try out short after solved IP problem, just off the firewall short to test this, if it works you just have to add that rule there after
* you allways have to enter an IP or URI inside your client (search server field), as only then the client can ask a specific server to connect to (like phone only him), and that IP on the client PC to enter is the different IP from the Minetest server PC

... or can we have two telephone with same number and call us then on that other phone ??? no
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Hevorkx wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:27
Hello guys,I m trying to play this game with my girlfriend, I got the 0.4.17.1 on windows and she got the 5.0.0 version on mac , i tried the port forwarding on my IP address and 30000 port thingy but still she cant connect with an error showing (connection timed out)!! can you please help us,we've been trying for the last 2 days watching YT videos and reading forums and stuff, much appreciated !
I'm surprised you got such an outdated version (from where?), download a build from the "builds" section of the forum or one from http://www.minetest.net/downloads/. As Rubenwardy said 4.x and 5.x aren't compatible.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Dragonop wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 03:24
I'm surprised you got such an outdated version (from where?)
Because this post is outdated too (2 yo)
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 22:28
Dragonop wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 03:24
I'm surprised you got such an outdated version (from where?)
Because this post is outdated too (2 yo)
Whoops, my bad! The bumping misled me.