There needs to be a server command for producing light.

Innomen

There needs to be a server command for producing light.

by Innomen » Post

TLDR: I got stuck and lost all my stuff, including much of my enthusiasm for the game.

I was mining my way to the surface and everything went black, I was still in the world but I could see nothing mine nothing etc place nothing. I tried to use noclip and fly to get back to where I was but it was like flying in a black void, and then eventually is started taking damage from something and died, and when I respawned all my items were gone.

It's dumb that torches aren't lit when wielded.

I'm gonna have to cheat to find my stuff but since this was my first death some of the magic of the game is gone. The first batch of immersion is destroyed.

P.S. I just realized that fly and no clip were disabled because "privilege." Why in the world have them in the menu if they can't be used? No wonder I couldn't escape.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: There needs to be a server command for producing light.

by TenPlus1 » Post

When first starting your singleplayer world type this for everything:

/grantme all

... also the bones mod has a setting to enable death coords so you can teleport back and collect all of your items.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

I agree that the darkness in minetest sucks, but it's traditional. I stock my caves with things that glow. I don't see the point of having nice caves if you can't ever see them. I also made a flare gun that lights larger areas up instantly.

As for corpse runs, you can turn that off on your own server (bones_mode = keep), but you'll have to put up with it on someone else's, unless you get an x-ray client mod or some such.

To paraphrase The Thorz, adventuring should be a test of skill and courage, not eyesight.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Excellent! so many solutions, thank you all.
TenPlus1 wrote:When first starting your singleplayer world type this for everything:

/grantme all

... also the bones mod has a setting to enable death coords so you can teleport back and collect all of your items.
Bones mods? I'll search, wish there was an ingame mod browser. Thank you :)
duane wrote:I agree that the darkness in minetest sucks, but it's traditional. I stock my caves with things that glow. I don't see the point of having nice caves if you can't ever see them. I also made a flare gun that lights larger areas up instantly.

As for corpse runs, you can turn that off on your own server (bones_mode = keep), but you'll have to put up with it on someone else's, unless you get an x-ray client mod or some such.

To paraphrase The Thorz, adventuring should be a test of skill and courage, not eyesight.
By my lights there should be a minimal brightness setting at a minimal range representing the players other senses. Touch, location memory, smell, feel, etc. To simulate this I would have the player always emit a very weak totally washed out light. Think minimal grey aura.

Perhaps that could be my first mod... Then again perhaps not, I clash with people easily and I'd like something like that to make it into the core game and I lack the ring kissing people skills to get anything rolled into main X)

For now, the solutions provided are good enough. :)

Sidenote: The breath meter is WAY too short in the default game. If default is supposed to be about creativity to the point that I can stand in the middle of the desert for days in a row effortlessly I should have free-diver pro level lung capacity.

This game has so much potential.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Innomen wrote:I'll search, wish there was an ingame mod browser. Thank you :)
There is. Look in the "Content" tab of the main menu. It's powered by content.minetest.net

Also make sure you're not using an outdated version, the latest is 5.0.1
Innomen wrote:Bones mods?
It's in Minetest Game.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Innomen wrote:I'll search, wish there was an ingame mod browser. Thank you :)
There is. Look in the "Content" tab of the main menu. It's powered by content.minetest.net

Also make sure you're not using an outdated version, the latest is 5.0.1
Innomen wrote:Bones mods?
It's in Minetest Game.
Well hell yes! Thank you!

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Innomen wrote:It's dumb that torches aren't lit when wielded.
The illumination and wielded_light mods provide lit torches when wielded.

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
Innomen wrote:It's dumb that torches aren't lit when wielded.
The illumination and wielded_light mods provide lit torches when wielded.
Thank you very much! Man, this community rocks.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Innomen wrote: It's dumb that torches aren't lit when wielded.
This is because Minetest does not support dynamic lighting or hardware lighting. Currently the brightness of each node is determined by its param1 value (a number between 0 and 15 that is stored in every individual node). For performance reasons, these param1 values are precalculated only when a lighting source is added or removed. Also the falloff range of lighting sources is very short, which explains why nighttime scenes in Minetest are unrealistically dark.

Technically, Irrlicht does support shaders, but to date nobody has been able to figure out how to fully implement dynamic lightmaps, as it would necessitate complete overhaul of the map format and the lighting system itself. This is something that RealBadAngel was working on over 5+ years ago, but sadly he is no longer with us. So as a result we're still stuck with this archaic software-based lighting :(

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

I appreciate the context. I honestly hadn't even considered it was a technical issue. But the wielded light mod is a perfectly serviceable work around until a better one comes along imo.

Tangent: Wielded light should be merged with minetest game imo. And I feel like the core team should be taking apart the big multimod projects and breaking them down into plugins so people can mix and match aspects without having to go whole hog.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Innomen wrote: Tangent: Wielded light should be merged with minetest game imo. And I feel like the core team should be taking apart the big multimod projects and breaking them down into plugins so people can mix and match aspects without having to go whole hog.
This is a tangential goal of http://github.com/minetest-mods/

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

sofar wrote:
Innomen wrote: Tangent: Wielded light should be merged with minetest game imo. And I feel like the core team should be taking apart the big multimod projects and breaking them down into plugins so people can mix and match aspects without having to go whole hog.
This is a tangential goal of http://github.com/minetest-mods/
That is excellent to hear. I love this game. I have been waiting for a good open source catch-all type game since I was a kid. (39 now)

I have a thousand suggestions and may dig into modding soon. I wrote mods for other games in the past. The barrier today is psychological. The replies I've gotten from this community so far are going a long way to removing that barrier. (I'm a certified weirdo X))

I appreciate your reply. Thanks :)