Converting textures

Steamed_Punk

Converting textures

by Steamed_Punk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 07:59

I didn't want to clog the 'User-contributed Content' section for textures, i hope this is the right place....

I have spent the last few days working on converting my MCTP for use with Minetest.
I tried using the converter suggested by 'Talamh' viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14283 on a previous thread but judging by the errors i am guessing that the app is outdated. Unkown texture errors, it seems the names are off. So i am going over them by hand :D

In doing so i came across a few issues and based on forum searches i found that there is already discussions open on some, but are dated.

default_cloud ! I can't get this to change the clouds.
default_torch_on_floor! My torch won't replace the original in game
I am guessing these two are either no longer used or are waiting to have a use? Could somebody please confirm so i can stop pulling my hair out.

default_fence_rail_******! These seems all over the place, but it could be me that is missing something obvious. I have tried placing, turning, overlapping and no matter what i just can't get the fence rail textures to sit correctly, As well as that they are different depending on North to south or east to west running fences. I even tried someone else's TP and this did the same thing. I'm a bit lost on this one if anyone has any pointers to help me out they would be appreciated.

I haven't finished yet so am i likely to have issues with any others, are there some that i don't need to bother with.
I am about half way through so far.

One last question...Are people ok with works under production. I mean for the moment it's conversion and creating those that are different or new (to me). It's a long process. So would people be OK with a say pre-alpha release of just the default_textures knowing i will be refining and replacing once i have the basics in place. This in my mind would also allow you to see errors that i may have missed and kick me in the pants for it.

regards
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Converting textures

by TumeniNodes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 09:56

use viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14283 to convert MC TPs to MTG

A little tip, MT/MTG does not use mc.meta / pack.mcmeta files for animated textures (such as animated water textures) so those may need tweaking as well. Sometimes when converted from MC the framerate is too fast so altering those textures in an image editor may be necc.
(I am hopeful one day we will have such a system)

you can even use this to convert MC maps for use with MTG viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13709

and putting up a [wip] tp is absolutely fine, in fact it is very common.
those go to viewforum.php?f=4
Ich mag keine grünen Eier und Schinken, ich mag sie nicht Sam I Am

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:51

TumeniNodes wrote:use viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14283 to convert MC TPs to MTG

A little tip, MT/MTG does not use mc.meta / pack.mcmeta files for animated textures (such as animated water textures) so those may need tweaking as well. Sometimes when converted from MC the framerate is too fast so altering those textures in an image editor may be necc.
(I am hopeful one day we will have such a system)

you can even use this to convert MC maps for use with MTG viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13709

and putting up a [wip] tp is absolutely fine, in fact it is very common.
those go to viewforum.php?f=4

Hi TumeniNodes,
Thanks for the reply, i had tried that as mentioned above, i had tried using the complete path to the .minecraft tp folder, and a straight zip file with nothing but the images, the names don't match it can't find any MC files.
So i am gimping everything and that's when i came across the issues with a couple or so images and fences.

As for the full map conversion tool, i will definitely take a closer look (eventually).

I just want to get the default textures done first, so thanks for confirming that a WIP is acceptable.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 20:09

sometimes (when he has time), sofar will help walk people throught the process... best to try #minetest-hub and leave him a mssg, or maybe he'll see this

Not sure he has much time these days

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04

OK thanks Tumen i will look into that, i have never used IRC before.

Although i don't fully understand the humour behind the sentence, i don't like idea of green eggs and ham either!

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Aug 22, 2019 13:58

Return to Problems