Making a public server

vroiste

Making a public server

by vroiste » Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:03

I'm trying to create a server using MineClone 2 so my friend and I can have the full experience. We have both attempted to create servers but we don't understand how we can make it multiplayer. When my friend tried to join my server it gave him a connection timed out error message and vice versa. How do we fix this?

mcbits

GitHub: mcbits

Re: Making a public server

by mcbits » Thu Sep 05, 2019 00:07

If you're hosting a server from behind a router (almost certainly, these days), then you need to go into the router's settings and enable "port forwarding" between the router and your computer. The port that Minetest listens on is 30000 if you haven't changed it.

When a client tries to connect to your server, what it actually connects to is the router's public IP address and port 30000 (not to be confused with the local IP address that your router assigns to your computer... more on that in a sec). You can see your router's IP address somewhere in its settings or sometimes just by asking Google "what's my ip"?

Normally the router would automatically ignore all incoming Internet packets from random computers on the Internet. But if you set up port forwarding right, it will send all of port 30000's data over to your computer, where Minetest can see it -- unless your computer is also running a firewall that also blocks all the incoming traffic, in which case you also need to find out how to open up port 30000 there as well.

There should be a choice to forward UDP, TCP, or both. I think Minetest only needs UDP, but it wouldn't hurt to open both.

So as an example, if your router's IP address is something like 64.123.32.1, then your friend would connect to 64.123.32.1 port 30000.

The IP address assigned to your computer is probably something like 192.168.1.25. Notice the 192.168.x.x. That's a standard pattern for local networks. You can see your actual IP in your router's settings. That is where you will tell the router to forward all the packets.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now, since I don't know if you've already done all this stuff or what. :) But the hard part usually is configuring all this stuff, and tutorials can't cover the specifics for everyone's different hardware.

Return to Problems