Something annoying that Windows Minetest does since v5

redblade7

IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

Something annoying that Windows Minetest does since v5

by redblade7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 23:04

Hi,

Since version 5, the Windows version of Minetest has a strange problem.

Pre-v5, if there was exclusive mode audio running, Minetest like other programs works but muted.

Since v5, if there is exclusive mode audio running, Minetest fails to start. You have to turn off exclusive mode, then start Minetest, then start the audio again, after which Minetest will be muted.

Does anyone know why this changed, and given that most Windows programs react to exclusive audio the way pre-v5 Minetest did, shouldn't we put back the old behavior?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: Something annoying that Windows Minetest does since v5

by Napiophelios » Mon Sep 09, 2019 00:26

My sound config is set to exclusive mode by default, but I don't know of any programs to test with.
What program are you using that utilizes exclusive mode audio?
Is it a media player? Screen recorder?

redblade7

by redblade7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 01:05

Napiophelios wrote:My sound config is set to exclusive mode by default, but I don't know of any programs to test with.
What program are you using that utilizes exclusive mode audio?
Is it a media player? Screen recorder?

Any audio/video player set to "Exclusive Mode" causes this to happen.

If you want something to test, try the popular K-Lite Codec Pack: codecguide.com
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Mon Sep 09, 2019 02:24

Hmm, never knew my media player had an exclusive mode option :)
But exclusive mode doesn't seem to work at all for me,
all programs I test have normal sound effects.
No problems starting the game while using the media player either.

parasite

GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Mon Sep 09, 2019 18:30

redblade7 wrote:Since v5, if there is exclusive mode audio running, Minetest fails to start. You have to turn off exclusive mode, then start Minetest, then start the audio again, after which Minetest will be muted.

Does anyone know why this changed, and given that most Windows programs react to exclusive audio the way pre-v5 Minetest did, shouldn't we put back the old behavior?

I'm afraid that maybe this is not a minetest problem. What I found at Microsoft site:

"if an application opens a stream in exclusive mode, the application has exclusive use of the audio endpoint device that plays or records the stream (...) Exclusive-mode access to an audio device can block crucial system sounds, prevent interoperability with other applications, and otherwise degrade the user experience. To mitigate these problems, an application with an exclusive-mode stream typically relinquishes control of the audio device when the application is not the foreground process or is not actively streaming." source

Although I'm Windows user and I use different applications that do different things with sound, I would definitely avoid using apps which modify my default audio playback settings. If such applications after turning them off do not restore the original settings automatically, but require their manual reset, it means that they are badly written, not a minetest is badly written. Perhaps not everything should be blamed on the minetest devs? I'm just guessing, I'm not an expert. I am pesty parasite ,-)

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Mon Sep 09, 2019 18:42

There were a few sound changes in the phase from 0.4.16 to 5.0.0. See https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog
If 0.4.17.1 runs fine without these audio issues, you could try to either:
1) find the last good 0.5.0-/5.0.0-dev build (see Build forum)
2) revert these individual changes in order to figure out what exactly the problem is

"since v5" is a VERY vague description. There are about 1100 commits from 0.4.16 to 5.0.0.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

redblade7

by redblade7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 20:56

Krock wrote:There were a few sound changes in the phase from 0.4.16 to 5.0.0. See https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog
If 0.4.17.1 runs fine without these audio issues, you could try to either:
1) find the last good 0.5.0-/5.0.0-dev build (see Build forum)
2) revert these individual changes in order to figure out what exactly the problem is

"since v5" is a VERY vague description. There are about 1100 commits from 0.4.16 to 5.0.0.

v0.4.17.1 was the last to start properly when exclusive mode audio is on.

What month should I start in testing builds? IIRC v0.4.17.1 was a fork which the builds at the time had passed, kind of like the past two versions of DOSbox, am I right?

Also what site/thread has the daily Windows builds? The Gitlab link in the thread that says it has it, doesn't have any releases, just a list of commits.

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Tue Sep 10, 2019 18:47

redblade7 wrote:Also what site/thread has the daily Windows builds? The Gitlab link in the thread that says it has it, doesn't have any releases, just a list of commits.

If the oldest from https://minetest.kitsunemimi.pw/builds/ already has this issue, consider asking sfan5 whether they have older builds.
The first 0.5.0-dev builds date back to 2017 (viewtopic.php?p=290495#p290495) but these might be long gone.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 23:16

Krock wrote:consider asking sfan5 whether they have older builds

I delete older builds when I feel like there's too many of them.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

redblade7

by redblade7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 04:35

Krock wrote:
redblade7 wrote:Also what site/thread has the daily Windows builds? The Gitlab link in the thread that says it has it, doesn't have any releases, just a list of commits.

If the oldest from https://minetest.kitsunemimi.pw/builds/ already has this issue, consider asking sfan5 whether they have older builds.
The first 0.5.0-dev builds date back to 2017 (viewtopic.php?p=290495#p290495) but these might be long gone.

The oldest one there:

minetest-5.0.0-b6adb7f-win64.7z 2018-10-15

has this problem. So the bug was introduced before then.

Return to Problems