minetest freeze - "the silence" chapter 9000

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: minetest freeze - "the silence" chapter 9000

by FreeGamers » Post

So I just ended up installing 5.1.0 from my distro. Then I copied the binary I compiled and the contents that go into the /usr/share/games/minetest/ directory manually into their respective directories.
I think this is a hacky workaround until I get an updated downstream version from my distro.

However, when I connect to my server I am still seeing version 5.1.0 when connecting to the server in the /status output. Does that mean I've missed something? I will leave the server on to see how it stays up.. when doing cmake it did indeed show 5.2.0-dev.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

FreeGamers wrote:Does that mean I've missed something?
It does. Manually copying Lua files is also very error-prone way of installation.

I recommend building Minetest with -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 and using make package (see also: a script for this).
This will keep all related files in a single folder, allowing you to upgrade/downgrade without affecting anything system-wide or even run several different versions at the same time.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

OK so I've used a bit of what you've provided me, sfan. I did those steps in my development server and have created a process to get the game automatically on at boot. I'm replicating this configuration on my public-facing "stable" server for players now, so here are the steps I've done:

recompile using

Code: Select all

cmake ../ -DBUILD_CLIENT=FALSE -DBUILD_SERVER=TRUE -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE
make package
mv minetest-5.2.0-dev-linux.tar.gz ~/
tar -xvzf minetest-5.2.0-dev-linux.tar.gz
cd minetest-5.2.0-dev-linux
then remove the screwed up version

sudo apt-get remove minetest-server
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo systemctl disable minetest-server
then I cloned game files back into the mods directory and set them up.
then create a systemd service for the dev version

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/minetest-dev-server.service
add parameters

[Unit]
Description=Development Minetest Server
After=network.target
Requires=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=root
WorkingDirectory=/home/freegamers/minetest-5.2.0-dev-linux/
ExecStart=/home/freegamers/minetest-5.2.0-dev-linux/bin/minetestserver --config /etc/minetest/minetest.conf --logfile /var/log/minetest/minetest.log --world /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest/worlds/world/
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Then enable the systemd.service at boot

sudo systemctl enable minetest-dev-server
sudo reboot
I just joined the server and its showing 5.2.0-dev now. *fingers crossed* I'll leave it on for a day and see how we do. Maybe I can actually go back to my game development now and let my players play on my "stable" server.

Thanks for the help!
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I've had almost 24 hours of uptime now on this server. My players are playing and are happy that there are no more freezing problems.

I'm going to say if you are a server operator, maybe avoid 5.1.0 and stick with either 5.0.1 or 5.2.0-dev until a 5.2.0 is available to you.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Walker wrote:if you want it to installed it into the system-filesystem try

sudo make install
Oh god, no! Please no!

Never install software using make install. Always create a package to be installed via the system's package manager or install to ${HOME}/.local only.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I've just downgraded from 5.2.0-dev onto the 5.1.1 which has recently hit debian buster-backports repository.

I saw in the changelog that 5.1.1 has some of the UDP packet handling improvements so hopefully it will remain stable. The downgrade had no issues or problems that I've noticed so far. I will follow-up later to confirm this is fixed in 5.1.1 but if I don't, assume good news.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

By the way, the issue you were seeing is most likely this one: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/9543
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

<deleted>
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 20:27
By the way, the issue you were seeing is most likely this one: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/9543
Thank you for looking into this and resolving that bug. That was an extremely frustrating glitch to experience.