spontaneous walls of lava issues ???

EnthLojeek

spontaneous walls of lava issues ???

by EnthLojeek » Post

recently i got my mod folder set up properly as to not show ANY duplicates involved & i suppose to increase workflow with the minetest executable. at first the new arrangement seemed to work great but in recent days following that when i start a new subworld in minetest, i'll be gathering together materials needed for my constructions.... then i see it appear in the distance (the ominous wall of lava). my question thru all this is ..... is there a certain combination of mods that don't work well together or certain mods that should not be used because of being obsolete? or just unneeded,... to keep this wall of lava from just showing up and ruining my game.....thanks ahead of time.

correction: before i wrote this i did not realize if i had updated the minetest.exe
moments later after realizing it i did upgrade the executable,... so i'll see if the problem re-appears....

EnthLojeek

Re: spontaneous walls of lava issues ???

by EnthLojeek » Post

and now that i've managed to update & refine/slim down the mod folder.... yes. i still am having problems with the lava walls. will i get any assistance to fix it? ..... its probably unlikely & very disappointing.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Large volumes of lava underground?
Are you using a cave-generating Lua mapgen like 'caverealms' or similar?
You need to describe the problem in more detail, posting a screenshot would help a lot.

EnthLojeek

by EnthLojeek » Post

i have taken the screenshot of what you asked me about the lava wall.... and also i've included
an IMG of my mods list for that same subworld..... and i thank you for any effort you could lend to me to help fix this issue
Attachments
n/a
n/a
panegotia-lava-issue.png (255.18 KiB) Viewed 555 times
the mods list IMG
the mods list IMG
panegotia.png (102.9 KiB) Viewed 555 times

EnthLojeek

by EnthLojeek » Post

also my having the nether mod enabled for that same subworld somehow for some strange reason
when i search for items like enchanted obsidian, nether heart & the vial of revival,.. those items DO NOT show up
in the inventory search... all the rest of the items for the nether mod show up such as glow crystal/netherrack/nethersand/netherbrick/etc.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

EnthLojeek wrote:is there a certain combination of mods that don't work well together or certain mods that should not be used because of being obsolete? or just unneeded
It's very possible that several mapgen mods are interacting. It's generally very bad to use 2 or more mapgen mods together.
I don't know all your mods but the suspicious ones I've seen so far are ethereal, caverealms, nether, other_worlds and multidimensions.

You have waaaay too many mods, 281 if I count well (it includes modpacks that can provide many mods at once, but it's still huge). This would be a good idea to cleanup your mod list, to keep only what is interesting, you will avoid many conflicts.
EnthLojeek wrote:also my having the nether mod enabled for that same subworld somehow for some strange reason
when i search for items like enchanted obsidian, nether heart & the vial of revival,.. those items DO NOT show up
in the inventory search... all the rest of the items for the nether mod show up such as glow crystal/netherrack/nethersand/netherbrick/etc.
Which nether mod are you using?
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

EnthLojeek

by EnthLojeek » Post

of the files you mentioned gael, for that subworld (panegotia) i'm having issues with.... i have caverealms, ethereal, nether & other_worlds mods enabled. i suspected @ one point there could be a mod arrangement conflict....but i was not entirely sure of which ones could be causing it. its really unfortunate that in creation of these mods the
people who have developed them could not have anticipated an idea of potential conflict with other mods. personally speaking,... if i were a developer of any mods that would serve as a mapgen resource, i would have definitely considered the idea. please don't mistake my saying earlier, i would never mean to imply anything insulting about the developers of the mods presented.

EnthLojeek

by EnthLojeek » Post

well also i would mention gael.... if you or anyone who could suggest to me a more appropriate list of mods to use that would be if not error/glitch free perhaps it could be as error/glitch free as possible/minimal.... please feel free to include it as a text/IMG file along with your comments/post/etc ..... thanks a million ahead of time

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

I suspect the 'multidimensions' mod, as that has a surface dimension containing lava.
That is a Lua mapgen that is probably meant to be run in 'singlenode' core mapgen only and is very probably incompatible with other Lua mapgens like 'caverealms' and 'nether'. Perhaps talk to the author of that mod to confirm and find out the correct usage of it. The mod is not well documented.

Some Lua mapgen mods are designed to be used in a normal core mapgen, like 'caverealms', 'nether' and 'other worlds'. Some Lua mapgens create an entirely new world in the 'singlenode' core mapgen and cannot be used with other Lua mapgens.
For now, disable the 'multidimensions' mod and see if that helps.

'Ethereal' creates completely new biomes, so the many mods that rely on MTGame biomes (such as 'biome lib', 'moretrees' etc.) will be non-functional.
'Moretrees', 'biome lib' and all the mods that rely on 'biome lib' are only suitable for mapgen V6.

Essentially, there are too many intensive mods here, and added without understanding them, and very many will be incompatible. I expect your server is very buggy and performance is very bad.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Because mod authors cannot avoid incompatibilities with other mods, the task of putting together a compatible set of mods is left to the server admin, and this is a difficult task because it needs a good understanding of every mod.
So it is very understandable why you, and others, have problems.

Assuming that the mods that rely on MTgame biomes are more important to you than 'ethereal' biomes, and assuming you want to use the non-V6 mapgens (mapgen V6 is rather boring and lacks many features, biomes, decorations etc., it is also incompatible with many mods, i recommend avoiding it), here is my advice:

Remove 'multidimensions', 'ethereal', 'biome lib' (and everything that relies on it such as 'moretrees' etc.).

'biome lib' is insanely and unnecessarily intensive and severely harms server performance, it is unfortunate that it is promoted and used so much.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

paramat wrote:I suspect the 'multidimensions' mod, as that has a surface dimension containing lava.
That is a Lua mapgen that is probably meant to be run in 'singlenode' core mapgen only and is very probably incompatible with other Lua mapgens like 'caverealms' and 'nether'.
The combo multidimensions + other_worlds is very, very weird. They do basically the same (adding world layers) but in a different way, and I'm really curious about how they superimpose on each other, it must be terrible.
You really need to remove at least one of the two, and I think other_worlds is better.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

EnthLojeek

by EnthLojeek » Post

i want to thank the both of you for this info it has opened my eyes to make my next move. i will admit mostly i have been config'ing my subworlds with v5 or v7.

FairyNyx

by FairyNyx » Post

Any recommendation of other mods that may clash and cause it?