Wiki Complaint Department

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Wiki Complaint Department

by Wuzzy » Post

Do you have a problem with the Minetest Wiki? Do you have a complaint or don't understand something? Is something important missing?

If so, please post it here so that it can be fixed.

If you want to have your own wiki account, please request one here.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Wiki Complaint Department

by paramat » Post

I rarely visit the Minetest wiki, but just visited the homepage at https://wiki.minetest.net/Main_Page

The introduction and description of MT is facepalmingly wrong and harmfully misleading.
It is described as a 'game' instead of a 'game engine'.
It goes on to describe the 'gameplay' as if MTGame is MT. There is no distinction made or mention of MTGame at all.
It mentions mods as if MT / MTGame is the only game that exists, and all you can do is mod that game.
Modpacks are mentioned but actual games are not.

I get the impression the basic description of MT has not really been updated since MT 0.3.0 of 9 years ago when it really was a hardcoded 'Minecraftlike' game. Then when modding came along in MT 0.4.0 a mention of mods was nailed onto the MT 0.3.0 description.

No surprise then that most people confuse MTEngine with MTGame, and judge MT by judging MTGame, which is a huge problem.

I was recently given a MT wiki account (i appreciate the good intention, but i was not asked first, which was a mistake) but i do not have time to mess with the wiki. I think it is better that trusted non-core-devs update it so that core devs can focus their time on MT code.
So i am sorry that i am complaining but not offering to fix the description.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

paramat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 23:58
I was recently given a MT wiki account (i appreciate the good intention, but i was not asked first, which was a mistake) but i do not have time to mess with the wiki. I think it is better that trusted non-core-devs update it so that core devs can focus their time on MT code.
So i am sorry that i am complaining but not offering to fix the description.
I gave you an account on the dev wiki because it contains official core dev articles that you should be able to access. For example, the Meetings page
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oh, paramat, you're absolutely right. I have looked at the start page for so often that I have learned to ignore it … I totally overlooked the elephant in the room. Indeed, this single crappy start page can explain a lot of the confusion.

Sadly, I have still no rights to update it. :-(

I have proposed a new text here: https://wiki.minetest.net/Talk:Main_Pag ... tely_wrong

I have no idea when the Main Page will actually be updated. It all depends on the wiki admin. If the wiki admin does not react, then we're stuck with this crappy Main Page. :-(((

BTW: Lol, paramat is offended by being given wiki access. XD

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Alright, today I finally received the ability to edit the Main Page! On both wikis. I updated the bad description of Minetest, Please check out the new main page and tell me if it's better now.

luk3yx
GitHub: luk3yx
IRC: luk3yx
In-game: luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

The database backend comparison table (https://wiki.minetest.net/Database_backends#Comparison_table) should be updated, LevelDB authentication and player databases were added in #9476 and #9982 respectively.

Edit: Fixed, thanks.
Last edited by luk3yx on Mon Jun 29, 2020 02:31, edited 2 times in total.
git_undo() { [ -e .git ] || return 1; local r=$(git remote get-url origin); cd ..; rm -rf "$OLDPWD"; git clone "$r" "$OLDPWD"; cd "$OLDPWD"; }

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Wuzzy good news, and thanks for your good work on the wiki.

rubenwardy, ok, you probably did the right thing, and can understand why you would consider it an obvious thing to do that does not need discussion first. I was just hoping to completely avoid the wiki, none of it is essential for me to access.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

lol, well I definitely would expect for every core dev of mt-engine to get at least a dev-wiki account by default and any core dev involved in mtg to get an account on the main wiki with a similar automatism.

This doesn't include expecting every core dev to be overly active on the wikis but definitely the position as such makes them de facto experts ... at least for some subjects ... so they should at least have the possabilty for fast respond or correcting "missunderstandings" even if it's just correcting a single letter or digit or adding some link to a relevant discussion on irc

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

twoelk i can understand why you might expect that, but it is really not essential as long as some or most core devs can edit the wiki. I have been a core dev for 5 years and have never absolutely needed to edit the wiki.

I now have a wiki account, if i ever think it justified and essential for me to edit the wiki i will, but i doubt that will happen.
As you might see in another forum topic, i think using wiki for important MT documentation is a mistake, so i do not have much motivation to put time and effort into it =)

goats

by goats » Post

Wow, yes, i had ignored the wiki main page (and a lot of the rest of it) since ages, and use it for the links. The edit is definitely an improvement. However...
This allows the better support by the community and a static improvement.
A static improvement? This means what? Perhaps a typo? Or some idiom i don't understand?

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

PostgreSQL auth database documentation is also missing

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

The games page (https://wiki.minetest.net/Games) is very outdated. There are a lot of dead links to games, and old games that likely no longer work with the current version/are in a very WIP state. There is also an old screenshot of the GUI, though it at least talks about ContentDB.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

The Minetest Wiki was running really slowly today, such that when I loaded the Pickaxe page, it gave up loading the sticks, ingots etc. as images for the crafting recipes, and all I saw was a bunch of empty craft grids with empty output, as well as no image in the infobox. Not very helpful! Even on Ctrl-F5 it still gave up early and only showed image names (title tag I think) animating instead of the actual images.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂