How to eliminate pop-in?

merktree

GitHub: treymerkley

How to eliminate pop-in?

by merktree » Wed Jan 08, 2020 23:11

I love Minetest, but I keep having this problem where I keep seeing pop-in in the distance and when rotating in any given direction. I've tried tinkering with the settings, but nothing is really working, just increasing the distance at which the fog starts. What do I need to adjust to make it look a little better?

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: How to eliminate pop-in?

by Hume2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 06:12

May I ask, what is the pop-in you're talking about?
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Festus1965

In-game: Thomas Explorer Thailand

by Festus1965 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 07:27

I guess the not loaded and shown map-blocks, as empty space which are loaded as of looking direction later, and need some time to be (loaded, sent, and calculated) shown in client.
Depending on server and client settings.
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:16

Far distance rendering isn’t Minetest’s strong suite. There’s no LOD feature for instance. There’s a setting for how far away mapblocks should load but it won’t be snappy.
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

merktree

GitHub: treymerkley

by merktree » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:47

Yeah, so it's just long distance block groups that suddenly appear on the horizon in any given direction as you walk, @Hume2. It's admittedly a minor gripe, but it makes the whole experience feel a little bit better, and I'm willing to expend a few extra GPU cycles to get it.

As long as they load in beyond the fog, it's fine with me if the load in isn't snappy. Is there a way to make it so blocks load in all directions when moving instead of only the direction the user is facing?

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 13:06

texmex wrote:but it won’t be snappy.

Well, that’s understatement :)

It’s broken since AGES and you cannot set anything properly. Just rough approximates with some sort of seemingly hardcoded values above a certain point.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19888

Conclusion: You can set some 200-300 nodes viewing range and set the fog to less than that to reduce the effect. But it is not possible to properly and constantly load nodes around you or within that viewing range – regardless of settings.

Return to Problems