Unable to join server, first time playing

RichardRahlJr

Unable to join server, first time playing

by RichardRahlJr » Post

Hello. Never played minecraft or minetest. Using Ubuntu, just downloaded Minetest 5.1.0. Wanted to join a game and it said. "You are about to join this server with the name "RichardRahlJr" for the first time.
If you proceed, a new account using your credentials will be created on this server.
Please retype your password and click 'Register and Join' to confirm account creation, or click 'Cancel' to abort."

When I type in a password and click "register and join" nothing happens. It doesn't freeze, load or anything. I end up clicking "cancel" and trying a few others servers and the same thing happens. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Emerald
IRC: Emerald2
In-game: Emerald2

Re: Unable to join server, first time playing

by Emerald » Post

Might be the passwords didn't match? If I start typing my password before the server list finishes loading then it seems to clear the password field so I only end up entering part of my password. I've learned to wait before typing it in to avoid that issue.

RichardRahlJr

by RichardRahlJr » Post

This was my first time joining a server. I never created a password for it before. Where do I go and do that? I was just creating it while logging into it.

RichardRahlJr

by RichardRahlJr » Post

Nevermind everyone lol. I figured it out :)

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

RichardRahlJr wrote:Nevermind everyone lol. I figured it out :)
and ?

what was it ?

moongaia
IRC: moonrelay
In-game: moongaia

by moongaia » Post

Walker wrote:
RichardRahlJr wrote:Nevermind everyone lol. I figured it out :)
and ?

what was it ?
You have to type the password you want in the text box next to the username text box on the server list screen, which also threw me off the first time I tried multiplayer.
I would expect to have to type in that text box only if I have an existing username set up on the server, not when setting up a new username.

uwu

by uwu » Post

If you wouldn't have to enter a password on first join, how should the server protect that account from being played by someone else?