Water's Edges

Grigor

Water's Edges

by Grigor » Post

Hi all,
Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere around. Wherever rock overhangs water there's a "missing" water block when "waving liquids" is switched on, presumably "hidden" beneath the node above it.

Could there be a way to have the water continue underneath the overhang, as it should?

Take care all, in these "interesting" times,

G.
screenshot_20200422_111110.jpg
screenshot_20200422_111110.jpg (165.37 KiB) Viewed 406 times

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: Water's Edges

by pampogokiraly » Post

I don't think it's possible unless we are creating a lot of lagg on the oceans, and that's because we have to render the top face of the water to solve your problem... (im not a big coder so correct me if im wrong).

I only see two solutions:
  1. Don't use waving liquids!
  2. Get a mod that renders the top face of the water if no water is on top of it! This might make some ridicilus lag but i don't really know, because I'm not a big coder :D
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Grigor

by Grigor » Post

Had a feeling it'd be something like that. Although... don't we already render the top face of water_source nodes? It's just when there's a node on top of it, it would normally be hidden. But because water_waving is a kind of 3/4 node it reveals the missing, eclipsed top face. I'd have thought it would just have to be those top faces that need rendering. Would those few more faces create a LOT of lag?

Maybe just one of those Minetest quirks I'll have to get over. Meanwhile, I've left my favourite deck chair in a cave somewhere, and I'm trying to retrace my steps and find it, so there's plenty of other things to think about.

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

by pampogokiraly » Post

Grigor wrote:Had a feeling it'd be something like that. Although... don't we already render the top face of water_source nodes? It's just when there's a node on top of it, it would normally be hidden. But because water_waving is a kind of 3/4 node it reveals the missing, eclipsed top face. I'd have thought it would just have to be those top faces that need rendering. Would those few more faces create a LOT of lag?

Maybe just one of those Minetest quirks I'll have to get over. Meanwhile, I've left my favourite deck chair in a cave somewhere, and I'm trying to retrace my steps and find it, so there's plenty of other things to think about.
The easy solution is to force all water sources to render the top face, but then you wouldn't allowed to look at any ocean because your MineTest would instantly freeze... the harder solution is to force the water sources to render the top face if there is a block on top of them (not water), but i think that you have to check all water sources all the time which would also generate lag... so the super easy and working solution is to dont use wawing liqud until someone makes a mod that solves your problem :D
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 09:04
the harder solution is to force the water sources to render the top face if there is a block on top of them (not water), but i think that you have to check all water sources all the time which would also generate lag... so the super easy and working solution is to dont use wawing liqud until someone makes a mod that solves your problem :D
  1. You can't fix this with a mod.
  2. The node above each node is already checked (afaik) to decide whether or not to render the top face (that's how the engine knows to skip the top face in the OP's situation in the first place). Changing this check to have a different behavior when waving water is enabled won't have that much of a performance impact. (Also, as far as I'm aware, these checks are only performed once when the map chunk is loaded, and again when a node is modified but only for the surrounding nodes.)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

There is an issue for this at GitHub, known issue.