Location of 'minetest.conf' in SNAP environment

sparvin

Location of 'minetest.conf' in SNAP environment

by sparvin » Post

I can't find it on my system. In addition, I've started it with:
minetest --server --config /path/to/minetest.conf
and it does not use that file.

Furthermore, I've installed this on a Raspberry Pi 3B that is headless, so I can't just open up the client and change things.

goats

Re: Location of 'minetest.conf' in SNAP environment

by goats » Post

I would look up how snap packages things. I've had to poke about with flatpak and appimage, snap probably isn't any worse. You might have to mount the snap if not running to look into it. (Squashfs?) If running, it's probably in a temp folder or mountpoint. Generically, /home/.minetest/minetest.conf, so it should be in the user directory anyway, unless the snap is configured to do something different. Note that this directory is normally hidden. ls -a /home/username should show you this.

Edit: Ah, yeah, and if you have installed and played games, you would probably want to look in any relevant /games/game_name folder. For MTG, this is going to be in the snap and not in user files.

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

For me the minetest folder including the minetest.conf is in /home/user/snap/minetest/current

sparvin

by sparvin » Post

goats wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 05:51
I would look up how snap packages things.
I considered this, but felt it would be a waste of time if what I was looking at wasn't Minetest specific. But, I suppose it couldn't hurt.
You might have to mount the snap if not running to look into it. (Squashfs?) If running, it's probably in a temp folder or mountpoint.
SNAP stores the data at:
~/snap/minetest/current
I know this because I've installed a few mods, and they show up in the world.mt file, but there is no minetest.conf file anywhere in the "current" folder or subfolders. In addition, the SNAP files install into:
/snap
off of the root directory. In fact, the games that come pre-installed, minetest_game and minimal, are located here, at:
/snap/minetest/1522/share/minetest/games
rather than:
~/snap/minetest/1522/.minetest/games
which is empty.
Generically, /home/.minetest/minetest.conf, so it should be in the user directory anyway, unless the snap is configured to do something different. Note that this directory is normally hidden. ls -a /home/username should show you this.
Yeah, first place I looked. This already existed because of the previous version I had installed (version 0.4.19, which is why I went the SNAP route in the first place). I tried editing the minetest.conf that I had there, and it's not being used.
Edit: Ah, yeah, and if you have installed and played games, you would probably want to look in any relevant /games/game_name folder. For MTG, this is going to be in the snap and not in user files.
Yeah, found both of those, as noted above. The one in /home has NO minetest.conf anywhere, and the one in /snap is empty (size: 0). Minetest is supposed to write a minetest.conf SOMEWHERE after it closes for the first time, but I sure can't find a copy anywhere, and, like I said in the original post, starting Minetest with --config should override any and all of this, but it doesn't/won't.
I'll keep looking for answers, but I feel I've exhausted google thus far. I'm worried that I might have to uninstall the SNAP package and compile from scratch, and that NEVER works for me (seriously, I have the worst luck compiling my own packages, even after double checking for dependencies)
Thank you for your input. I'll keep checking.

sparvin

by sparvin » Post

Lejo wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 13:35
For me the minetest folder including the minetest.conf is in /home/user/snap/minetest/current
Yeah, tried there first. I can install mods in here, but there is no minetest.conf anywhere in that tree, not in the /games or /worlds folders, or anywhere up or down from there.

sparvin

by sparvin » Post

Okay, I feel kind of dumb now. Apparently, it WAS reading the file I created and pointed to with --config. All is right with the world again (see what I did there?)

goats

by goats » Post

Ahh, good to know things are working! Still odd that the .conf in the minetest_game folder would be empty if MTG had been played at least once.

Rayjack
In-game: Rayjack

by Rayjack » Post

sparvin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 21:33
Okay, I feel kind of dumb now. Apparently, it WAS reading the file I created and pointed to with --config. All is right with the world again (see what I did there?)
LOL I'm still dumb because I edited the spawn in minetest.conf in Home/snap//minetest/current and the spawn is still the old spawn ... so it must be reading a different minetest.conf. What was your solution please, not sure I understand?

goats

by goats » Post

sparvin force-loaded a minetest.conf they created or edited with the command in the first post

sparvin

by sparvin » Post

Rayjack wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 23:35

... so it must be reading a different minetest.conf. What was your solution please, not sure I understand?
What goats said. I forced my own minetest.conf, but after restarting, I didn't notice the changes I had made, and assumed that it ignored my forcing of my config file. Turns out the changes I made to the config file were in the wrong places and weren't noticeable after restarting. I changed the "correct" options and finally saw changes.