Minetest Launchpad PPA Problem

Red_King_Cyclops

Minetest Launchpad PPA Problem

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

I'm trying to update from 5.0.1. to 5.3.0. on Linux Mint 19, but my terminal gives me the message '"Launchpad PPA for Minetest Developer" not changed' and my Minetest version doesn't change.
Currently working on new mods.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Minetest Launchpad PPA Problem

by rubenwardy » Post

Are you running `apt update` and `apt upgrade`?

Commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Red_King_Cyclops

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 17:37
Are you running `apt update` and `apt upgrade`?

Commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
No, I was just running "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:minetestdevs/stable". I just tried to run all three lines, but I decided not to upgrade since it could compromise my computer's security.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Upgrading improves your computer's security, it's important to get updates to patch bugs. You also want to upgrade Minetest here - I suspect you're tripping up over the terms

apt update will check for updates, fetching information from the various repositories and PPAs
apt upgrade will do the updates, downloading new versions and upgrading them

Hello profile reader

Red_King_Cyclops

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 20:09
Upgrading improves your computer's security, it's important to get updates to patch bugs. You also want to upgrade Minetest here - I suspect you're tripping up over the terms

apt update will check for updates, fetching information from the various repositories and PPAs
apt upgrade will do the updates, downloading new versions and upgrading them
Thanks, I didn't know about this difference. It appears that upgrading is the way to getting the latest version of Minetest. I'm still a little hesitant to upgrade my computer, but I'm glad to know a way to get the latest version.

SteveTeece
GitHub: SteveTeece

by SteveTeece » Post

Hi everyone,
This is kinda a related PPA question...
I'm setting up a new Minetest Headless dedicated server running under Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for a group of autistic kids I work with. I've added the above PPA (minetestdevs/stable) to the system, and last week installed the server with the command "sudo apt install minetest-server -y".

This installed Minetest 5.1.1, created a new user for minetest (Debian-minetest), made a symbolic link for the user's .minetest folder, which points to the location /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest.

The minetest.conf file is automatically set up in /etc/minetest/minetest.conf, and a couple of .service files have been placed in the correct locations.

My question is this. Where do I put the files for mods, worlds and games? Should they go under /etc/minetest (not a great solution, needs root access), or do they go under /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest? Also, should I move the .conf files to the /var/games/minetest-server/.minetest folder and appropriately change the. service files?

Is there a current document outlining the correct configuration for a dedicated, headless linux server for V5.1.1 or above?

Any hints / tips appreciated. Thanks.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

@rubenwardy

I added the stable ppa, ppa:minetestdevs/stable, today to a LinuxMint 21 (Vanessa) system, it's based on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) using apt-get. All went well for me. I noted a combination of warnings generated from

Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).

and at the end of output from

sudo apt update
W: http://ppa.launchpad.net/minetestdevs/s ... /InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

As stated above, the install went well, and a brief amount of gameplay in a world previously created using MT 5.4.1 went fine. I am only bringing this up out of concern that it may be off-putting to new Linux users (-- if they even notice the cautions ;-} ). In the manpage for apt-key(8) I read

Recommended: Instead of placing keys into the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d directory, you can place them anywhere
       on your filesystem by using the Signed-By option in your sources.list and pointing to the filename of the
       key. See sources.list(5) for details. Since APT 2.4, /etc/apt/keyrings is provided as the recommended
       location for keys not managed by packages. When using a deb822-style sources.list, and with apt version >=
       2.4, the Signed-By option can also be used to include the full ASCII armored keyring directly in the
       sources.list without an additional file.
Ideally if they have concerns they will search the forums, find this post, and proceed without fear or delay.
-- We can all have our large idealistic dreams. :-D
Take action only if you believe it is warranted.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It's safe to ignore that - it's a warning with add-apt-repository and not our PPA

Hello profile reader