macbook "El Capitan": no right-click on either Minetest or Minecraft (not user error)

onid246

macbook "El Capitan": no right-click on either Minetest or Minecraft (not user error)

by onid246 » Post

For some reason an older macbook, from around 2010 with OSX version 10.11.6 "El Capitan" isn't able to do right-click in either the games Minetest or Minecraft. The right-click works for every other app on that laptop.

So my first question is: does buying a "normal" pc type mouse for mac make the right click for these games just work? If so, I'll just buy one. If not, I need to figure out how to get right-click to work.

I'm not a mac user but am trying to get them connected to my Minetest server to play, and they can enter the game just fine, but then they get very frustrated because with no right-click the player cannot build. These people actually purchased Minecraft as a result, thinking that the open source Minetest was cheap and that paying for software means it will work. Well, the right-click also doesn't work on Minecraft.

So my second question is: what do both games have in common that the right click isn't working on them, when for every other app on the macbook the right-click works?

While I'm not a mac user, I've gone over with them over the phone how to use right-click on a mac. They've already enabled the right-click on the system. They say it works for every other app just fine, and that the problem is that in both Minetest and Minecraft there's no setting to change what button places an object and that anyone with a macbook running the El Capitan version of OSX simply cannot play either game.

So then my third question: is there an option to change what key press places an object?
Last edited by onid246 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

onid246

Re: macbook "El Capitan": no right-click on either Minetest or Minecraft

by onid246 » Post

Someone else has had this issue 8 years ago for Minecraft, and also complained about people insulting them for user error, but it's not user error. The older macbooks don't recognize the right click in Minetest. Their solution is to use the "pick block" option in Minecraft, which Minetest doesn't have. See: https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/s ... s-properly