Sudden meltdown of stable reactor

MrPhil
In-game: MrPhil

Sudden meltdown of stable reactor

by MrPhil » Post

Hello Everyone!

I've been playing MT for a couple of months now and love it, I can quit anytime...

I recently ran into an odd problem, my apologies if this is not the correct subforum to post this on.

We have a server running with the Technic mod and have a couple of reactors running. The most recently built one was only loaded with 6 fuel rods and ran fine for several days. Then, the other night when I approached the area, I heard the klaxon sounding. I thought perhaps that it was just signaling that it was running out of fuel but alas, that was not the case. The klaxon stopped and the reactor had inexplicably melted down. ?!?

I "quenched" the melted core with gravel but wound up turning damage off on the server so I could go in, clean up and see what happened. Of course there was Chernobylite all over the place but I also found that most or all of the stainless steel had turned to lead... is this normal? This reactor was equipped with a viewing hole on top, where one block of stainless steel and one block of the blast-resistant concrete had been replaced with obsidian glass. Other than this and a few blocks in the core area which had been obliterated/replaced by Chernobylite, the reactor was intact. The "customary" outer shell of concrete was added when the reactor was built, with Obsidian glass as the top center block for the viewing/manhole. The room the reactor is in was well lit.

Since it doesn't make sense that a stable reactor would just suddenly melt down, I'm curious if there are any known bugs in the Technic mod related to this or if anyone knows of anything else that might explain what happened here.

Is it possible for a mob to spawn inside the reactor and cause a problem like this? The server is running mobs_redo/mobs_monster and the old mobs_mc mod. This doesn't seem likely since another reactor which was started with 6 stacks of 99 fuel has been running for quite a long time without issue. That reactor does not have a manhole and is completely enclosed.

If anyone has any theories on what may have happened, I'd love to hear them. My friend (a seasoned Minecraft player) and I are at a loss to explain what may have happened.

Many thanks!

- Phil