Hi guys can anyone please figure out what's wrong with this issue I am facing while connecting to a local server

sanin
GitHub: Saninkiliyamann
In-game: sanin

Hi guys can anyone please figure out what's wrong with this issue I am facing while connecting to a local server

by sanin » Post

Well I am a beginner to the game as well as to this platform . Ok I will explain what is the real issue is, yesterday I started to play minetest on my zorin installed laptop, it was a such freaking awesome game for me, and today I suggest this game to my sister and she has a windows based laptop but by using the live disk she booted her system into zorin os, for the first 2 to 3 hrs we both were struggling to connect to my local server and at last we connected By watching a YT video which is uploaded in 2014!!. after an hour of play we took some rest from playing while back to my last server we are not able to connect eachother, By that she booted back into windows and installed the latest version of minetest and I updated my version to the latest which 5.4 . then also we cant connect eachother.but not getting a positive result, on sister's system it is always showing that "Connection timeout" and also i tried many localhosts but all time i can get into the game were we left of and she couldnt get into that game, so we decided to start a new game in her system but no new result other than "connection time out".

NOTE:- We both were using the same mode of internet which wifi.

This is were we reached so far, and is there anyone here to help me to know that is that possible to connect to a server from two different os(in my case windows and zorin os)

Minix
In-game: Minix

Re: Hi guys can anyone please figure out what's wrong with this issue I am facing while connecting to a local server

by Minix » Post

Yes, it is possible for players to play with others on different platforms (that is why minetest is awesome), if you are getting connection timed out, make sure you are using the correct IP address and port, since you are on the same network you should not have problems connecting to the other computer, but Windows' firewall might be causing issues, make sure that minetest is allowed to access the network or disable the firewall temporarily, make sure to enable it afterwards.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Hi guys can anyone please figure out what's wrong with this issue I am facing while connecting to a local server

by Festus1965 » Post

much question without facts
an answer without facts

when you start the minetest server, however it uses the (hopefully only) one IP address that has the connection to your local router

this can be checked with ipconfig, or ifconfig depending on the OS
might be something like 192.168.0.x

check this on both PC connected to router / internet, AND make sure BOTH PC can go into internet,
so this makes sure both PC have an local IP

so that IP on the PC that is hosting the server, maybe 192.168.0.5
has to be used on the sisters PC to try get a connection to Minetest server
with hopefully the standard port 30000 that is filled in already.

also on sisters PC check with a terminal and do "ping 192.168.0.5" (use the ip that server PC gives with ifconfig) if get responce
this test might show that it might be possible as basic = should show success with a low time

if it still doesn't work, maybe a firewall at the server could still block this port 30000
then you have to check how to open it mainly or for the time gaming

good luck
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Klokurka

by Klokurka » Post

The same happens to me. Local game - all computers in the same household, all Windows, all the same Minetest version number, all the same modem (some through fixed line, some through wifi, but none can connect). Our IPv4 numbers are almost the same, e.g. one ending in 19 and one in 21.

The strange thing is, that it usually works several times with a certain PC set as the host and then it stops working (the connecting computers start having the "connection timed out" message) while doing everything the same way as before. So we set a different PC to be the host, created a new world and everybody could connect to that - but again it worked just several times. Of course, we soon ran out of "unused" computers. Any tips how to fix this?

I tried the firewall tip but did not find anything there that made sense changing. Minetest seemed enabled on Win10. I did not find anything like list of things to enable/ban on Win7. But I admit I am totally novice to firewalls and their settings.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

first check, can you ping every pc from every pc, mean ping .19 from 21, and .21 from .19 ... etc.
if they are all connected to a router, can all of them use internet and get minetest servers list when start client ?

Klokurka

by Klokurka » Post

All computers can acces the internet and the list of servers in Minetest - Join Game tab.
But the "pinging" thing seems to be a problem.
Statistics for old Dell notebook - could be pinged from other PCs with 0%loss (average time from 2 different computers: 1ms, 3ms)
Statistics for our standard PC - could be pinged from other PCs with 0%loss (average times from 2 different computers: 7ms, 87ms)
Statistisc for my personal notebook - could not be pinged, timed out, 100% loss
Statistics for the last notebook - could not be pinged, timed out, 100% loss

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Klokurka wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:18
Statistisc for my personal notebook - could not be pinged, timed out, 100% loss
Statistics for the last notebook - could not be pinged, timed out, 100% loss
check firewall settings on those can't be reached (as when can ping out, but not ping in !)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Klokurka wrote:
Statistics for old Dell notebook - could be pinged from other PCs with 0%loss (average time from 2 different computers: 1ms, 3ms)
Statistics for our standard PC - could be pinged from other PCs with 0%loss (average times from 2 different computers: 7ms, 87ms)
This two should be taken for a server test, both start server, and try to reach from the other 3, and also check on both the firewall that wanted port 30000 most is open then

Klokurka

by Klokurka » Post

Went to Windows Defender Firewall - Allow Apps tab - scrolled down to "Minetest engine" - checked all the boxes so that it is allowed - pinged that notebook again - no change

Klokurka

by Klokurka » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:47
Klokurka wrote:
This two should be taken for a server test, both start server, and try to reach from the other 3, and also check on both the firewall that wanted port 30000 most is open then
Sorry. I donť understand the "check on both the firewall that wanted port 30000 most is open then" part.

Komodo
GitHub: MeseCraft
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Hi Klokurka, welcome to the Minetest community.

Is your WiFi and Wired networks on the same IP network address range, or is it two different networks?

It sounds to me like it should work and you have checked all the right things: firewall, network.

You should not really have to mess with Firewalls too much. Windows usually allows applications to access over the LAN for private networks (home networks). It is still something you may need to pay attention to.

Simple thing, but it should be asked: Are you clicking "Host Server" when you are starting a game in Minetest?

Focus on just getting two computers to work together on the same wired LAN first. Then, start working on the WiFi ones. Some network settings to keep in mind: Firewall, DDoS protection, QoS, and Port Forwarding.

Good luck.
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Klokurka wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 13:37
Sorry. I donť understand the "check on both the firewall that wanted port 30000 most is open then" part.
This is what goes to previous post,
pinging is one thing,

All your units have to be same network: what is most NAT 192.168.0.x
as you have one on .19 another .21 ... so all 4 should have same first three like 192.168.0.x and just last number is must be different.
are the IPs given by DHCP automatic,
which of the Units is connected via LAN (cable) or Wifi ??

The best test for the problem Minetest hosting is a minetest server itself
start on every one of this a server ! and test to reach this one from all other units and make a table

as unit .19 as server get gamer from .21 or not ...
as unit .19 can join host on .21 or not

Klokurka

by Klokurka » Post

Komodo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 00:10

Is your WiFi and Wired networks on the same IP network address range, or is it two different networks?
Yes, all the IPv4 numbers start the same 192.. and so on. Just the last two digits (after the last full stop) differ.
Komodo wrote:

Simple thing, but it should be asked: Are you clicking "Host Server" when you are starting a game in Minetest?
Yes. Moreover, it worked at first. It doesn't now. All Minetest settings the same.
Komodo wrote:
Some network settings to keep in mind: Firewall, DDoS protection, QoS, and Port Forwarding. Good luck.
Thank you. However, those terms are Latin to me. What would be the easiest to learn to configure? Do I need to download anything, and if yes, what program or page do you recommend?

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

As long all of this 4 units can also join an open server in the internet, it is not a problem of the clients as they can go out, connect to somewhere

but as long we don't get a response of all 4 units, done a server, and what other units (PC client)
* can't reached as server
* can't join,
the options are too wide to start explain something ...

and also didn't get, if all or only some are connected via router switch lan or wifi,
as fE my router allow allow me to enable/disable WAN units to exactly use WAN or LAN !!!

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

make sure you port forwarded . you can find out how on t he website:

http://192.168.1.1

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

useless comment, as
ywwv wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 05:09
make sure you port forwarded . you can find out how on t he website:

http://192.168.1.1
inside the own home net, under the same IP range there is no port forwarding needed
and so the link to the router of this, is useless
this 4 PC/units could be connected via switch and have fixed right IP ... what then ?

... but my last thought is worth to test maybe ... connect all 4 units on a switch (4 ports) first only and test,
if it works and should work further, then connect that switch to the router to get internet for all also,
but normally the router with the part switch, should NOT filter local area traffic ... on LAN

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

corrrct, he shouldnt really need to port forward throught NAT unless he is trying to allow incoming Internet to LAN connections.

Still weird that it wont work for him with LAN comouters though. It should work already.

casper

by casper » Post

First off: I hope I'm posting this in the correct time and place. I've searched for and read several other threads here in the forum, but not found any solution.

I'm having this exact SAME issue with MInetest v5.6.0 where I get the message "Connection Timed Out" when trying to connect to an LAN multiplayer session. Strangely, I can connect to my wife's server if she hosts, but she can't connect to my server if I host. All settings have been double and triple-checked, and are both setups are identical. I even manually verified that both mod folders are synchronized and identical just in case that was the issue. I also created a totally new, unplayed, NO-mods world just to rule out the possibility of any mod-related issues. Still the same outcome: I can connect to her if she hosts, but she can't connect to me if I host. Very puzzling!!

So on a whim I tested our old minetest v5.4.1 installations, and they still both work perfectly BOTH ways. Either of us can host, and we can both connect quickly and easily.

NOT SO with v5.6.0. :(

I've rebooted both pc's, the router, checked ipconfig for anything amiss, checked the firewalls, checked the router settings, and nothing resolves the issue for the v5.6.0 release. But v5.4.1 works perfectly fine.

Have there been any new discoveries or ideas for resolving this issue? At this point I'm out of troubleshooting ideas.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

casper wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 14:40
Have there been any new discoveries or ideas for resolving this issue? At this point I'm out of troubleshooting ideas.
Are you both on the same network segment and connected the same way (wifi vs wired)?
Disable any VPN software that might disable LAN connections.

This is still something that can commonly be chalked up to user error vs the software not letting you connect for some reason. Not saying you're wrong, but due diligence in troubleshooting networking issues needs to be done up front.

sysfu

by sysfu » Post

casper wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 14:40
First off: I hope I'm posting this in the correct time and place. I've searched for and read several other threads here in the forum, but not found any solution.

I'm having this exact SAME issue with MInetest v5.6.0 where I get the message "Connection Timed Out" when trying to connect to an LAN multiplayer session. Strangely, I can connect to my wife's server if she hosts, but she can't connect to my server if I host. All settings have been double and triple-checked, and are both setups are identical. I even manually verified that both mod folders are synchronized and identical just in case that was the issue. I also created a totally new, unplayed, NO-mods world just to rule out the possibility of any mod-related issues. Still the same outcome: I can connect to her if she hosts, but she can't connect to me if I host. Very puzzling!!

So on a whim I tested our old minetest v5.4.1 installations, and they still both work perfectly BOTH ways. Either of us can host, and we can both connect quickly and easily.

NOT SO with v5.6.0. :(

I've rebooted both pc's, the router, checked ipconfig for anything amiss, checked the firewalls, checked the router settings, and nothing resolves the issue for the v5.6.0 release. But v5.4.1 works perfectly fine.

I'm having the same problem with 5.6.0 and 5.6.1. I haven't played any earlier versions of the game so I can't say that it's ever worked for me. All minetest computers are on the same /24 LAN subnet. I've used netcat to verify that UDP port 30000 is listening and reachable on the computer hosting the game. I've used tcpdump to verify that UDP packets on port 30000 are being sent from the clients and arriving at the host system. However I can't for the life of me get the clients to connect, keeps failing with the 'connection timed out error'. Trying to get this working for my kids and they are pestering me relentlessly about it...HALP!