How do I tell if a Minetest mod can support 5.0 versions

BlueTangs Rock

How do I tell if a Minetest mod can support 5.0 versions

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Greetings, I recently got Minetest (version 5.4.1) again on my new computer and I'm considering getting some mods.

However I've heard that Minetest mods that can only support the 0.4 type versions of the game are incompatible with 5.0 type versions of the game, making it pretty important for me to know which mods can support 5.0 type versions and which ones can't.

Is there any ways to tell which game versions a mod can stably run on if a mod's forum page doesn't directly mention the game versions that they're compatible for?
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: How do I tell if a Minetest mod can support 5.0 versions

by Festus1965 » Post

the only true working to know is to test each one by one that you want:

* as also from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0, and then from 5.3.0 to 5.4.1 where changes that makes even a 5.x "supporting" mod not running or just crash the server often ... on this different engine versions ...

YOU have to test every one of them by your own.

A really list about mods, and what version is perfect, or working with what enginge version was counterstrike by some of the main people here. That I did from 0.4.17 to 5.0.0 ...
So that is, why there is no good source to know this.

Have fun.

for Example: 5.4.1 came out 10.04.2021 and still on 14.06.2021 the messecons or homedecor, lavatools are is not warning free running under 5.4.1 = they are still not updated
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

BlueTangs Rock wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 22:13
However I've heard that Minetest mods that can only support the 0.4 type versions of the game are incompatible with 5.0 type versions of the game, making it pretty important for me to know which mods can support 5.0 type versions and which ones can't.
If a mod does not support Minetest 5.x then it wasn't updated since >2 years and is likely dead.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 08:42
If a mod does not support Minetest 5.x then it wasn't updated since >2 years and is likely dead.
Won't say that: as I have a lot of mods from the first owner/starter Hectic that still run without warning or crash since 4 years now. They was made for 0.4.x where there was even no idea yet of 5.x.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 08:49
They was made for 0.4.x where there was even no idea yet of 5.x.
Yes, and when 5.x came out the author didn't care back then and didn't care since 2 years.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Edit as of 6-16-21:

After some more research, I learnt about the fact that 5.0 type game versions come equipped with a "Content" tab on the game's menu which allows you to get mods directly from the game itself (and I'd assume all of the mods displayed there are compatible with 5.0 type versions), making it much easier to mod than what I was once used to in 0.4 type versions.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

BlueTangs Rock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:01
... (and I'd assume all of the mods displayed there are compatible with 5.0 type versions), ...
wrong !
I had and have again server version 5.2.0 - after a bad experience with 5.4.1 last week

first: 5.3.0 didn't even start my map as the configuration of some builds with technik was no longer accepted from the engine, not the mod, but later now 5.4.1 took it again ... after I was hunted down, that its not the engine ... haha

second: well runing mods with 5.2.0 and, as you mean, supposed to run under 5.4.1 FAILED, as
* lavatools ... crashed when a special situation, but not under 5.2.0
* mesecons ... crashed also here with fE pistons / mvs ... what did not happen under 5.2.0 ,,, and even mesecons was updated that date also 5.4.1 was updated and then 2 months NOTHING ... so mesesons version 10.04.2021 is compatible with 5.2.0, but NOT with 5.4.1

I had this experience just last week, believe me ... 5.0 mod, doesn't sure mean 5.2, and/or also 5.3 or and 5.4.1 !!!!

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 08:53
Yes, and when 5.x came out the author didn't care back then and didn't care since 2 years.
but still run !

even better then modern mesecons or lavatools !!!

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:28
but still run !
On outdated versions, yes.
Festus1965 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:28
even better then modern mesecons or lavatools !!!
Personal experience :)

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:26
BlueTangs Rock wrote:
... (and I'd assume all of the mods displayed there are compatible with 5.0 type versions), ...
* mesecons ... crashed also here with fE pistons / mvs ... what did not happen under 5.2.0 ,,, and even mesecons was updated that date also 5.4.1 was updated and then 2 months NOTHING ... so mesesons version 10.04.2021 is compatible with 5.2.0, but NOT with 5.4.1
I had an interesting experience with trying to get Mesecons to work today; the first time I added Mesecons to my pre-existing 5.4.1 world it completely corrupted the world and I had to start over (fortunately I was only playing on there for a day), but then I made a new 5.4.1 world with the same map and enabled Mesecons before loading the world for the first time, the game worked perfectly fine and worked consistently after the initial (but still pretty significant) error, and even continues to work after me installing five or so other mods.

Though if Mesecons is truly not supported for my version, then I should probably consider uninstalling it (even though it's working fine on the world now) just to be safe..

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 09:37
On outdated versions, yes.
on 5.4.1 ... !

just look this post, with the code part, where i posted the complete starting sequence (as the mods all get a print out name, version, date, ...) and see how old some of them are --> but no problems ... against some 'new' but fail.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

BlueTangs Rock wrote:
and I'd assume all of the mods displayed there are compatible with 5.0 type versions
Correct, the content dialog only shows versions compatible with your running version. This is based on whether the mod author has specified their mod as requiring a certain version, however, so it may not always be correct. You can see these specified versions on the ContentDB website, next to the download button:

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:09
BlueTangs Rock wrote:
and I'd assume all of the mods displayed there are compatible with 5.0 type versions
Correct, the content dialog only shows versions compatible with your running version. This is based on whether the mod author has specified their mod as requiring a certain version, however, so it may not always be correct. You can see these specified versions on the ContentDB website, next to the download button:

This is pretty helpful information, thank you!