Is it possible to rotate the sky?

mouse

Is it possible to rotate the sky?

by mouse » Post

I started recreating my real life neighborhood in Minetest, as a surprise for my daughter since she really loves the game. And it's been going surprisingly well so far, but I didn't realize until I was halfway through that the sun is rising in the west.

So now I'm looking for a way to either rotate the entire world, rotate the skybox, or invert the direction of the sun and moon's paths.

I tried the 'screwcube' thing in the "Better Screwdriver" mod but all it seemed to do was partially crash the server. Meaning I could still walk around and interact with the world, but the game was unresponsive to menu and server commands. I had to force kill the game. So that didn't work.

Can someone help me so I can move the stars themselves for my daughter?

SevenRichieWhite
IRC: SevenRichieWhite
In-game: SevenRichieWhite

Re: Is it possible to rotate the sky?

by SevenRichieWhite » Post

Maybe try WorldEdit. If the Area isn't too large WorldEdit can easily rotate your structures. You can also rotate one-by-one which can be a bit time consuming on very large areas. But its more safe after all. I'll highly recommend WorldEdit together with WorldEdit undo. So you can undo screwed up things :)

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: Is it possible to rotate the sky?

by sirrobzeroone » Post

mouse wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:48
Can someone help me so I can move the stars themselves for my daughter?
Another option is use Wuzzy's schematic tool (viewtopic.php?t=18515) and export the whole area as a giant schematic. I'm not sure if theres a size limit on schematic files? The lua file you get from that output just rename to one_off.lua

Then once saved as a schematic make a small init.lua file in mod folder named "one_off" and do this:

Code: Select all

local modpath = minetest.get_modpath("one_off")
one_off={}

dofile(modpath .. "/one_off.lua")
-- inside that file make it one_off.one_off ={--schematic info}

minetest.register_on_newplayer(function(player) 
        pos = player:get_pos()

minetest.place_schematic({x=pos.x,y=pos.y,z=pos.z},one_off.one_off ,"",90, true,"place_center_x")
        -- 90 is the rotation, change y=pos.y if you need to lower or raise ground level eg "y = pos.y-2"
        player:setpos({x=pos.x,y=pos.y+2,z=pos.z})
end)

Create a new world enable the mod and load - If it places correct rotation then save and exit and disable the mod...you don't need it to run on every newplayer join. This will result in some dodgy integration on the edges with the existing terrain. If the rotation is wrong adjust 90 to 180 then save create a new world enable mod and try again.....dont do this on your existing world....

Edit: If it's easier Im happy to mockup a proxy mod and you can just overwrite the schematic file.
Edit2: might be easier to use the mts file...no editing then just file path and go